what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
yes sir those are good ole bikes, my Montgomery Ward MTB is a 15 speed and all of it still works good also, just a good solid ole bike, I know it will make a nice motorized bike some day.

Map
.bf.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
I took the new build (red one a few posts back) out for a shakedown run. No speedo, but it feels as strong as the others. Got to the coffee shop just fine, came back outside with my cup since it was a nice day. I'd just finished going over the motor to make sure nothing was shaken loose when the back tire blew out. Three feet from my ear, like a gunshot. The tube has a 4" long gash in the side, and it blew the tire off the wire bead (split). Crazy, since I know it was at 60 psi (usually a safe pressure) to start with.

I'm glad it blew standing in the rack istead of under load in traffic, it could have been much worse.

Fortunately, across the parking lot from the Tim's is a Canadian Tire, so I walked it over there and bought a new tire and tube, broke out the tool kit and replaced them while in front of the store. Got it together and rode home, also had no trouble climbing up the hill. A little adjusting of the clutch might be needed, but otherwise feels good.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Got a good start on my next build today, got my wheels clear coated, when that was dry I got tubes and tires installed on wheels, noticed that bothe wheels were not as true as they could be so I trued them real good, I tore new Shimano CB 110 E hub down, cleaned everything up real good with a brsh in a can on gasoline and re greased everything with high grade moly grease and re assembled the hub, once I got that done I installed the new apirates cycles hub adapter and 36T sprocket onto wheel, I figured I'd like to know how the bike was gonna ride and peddle since I plan to use a small 36T chainring on the cranks so I completely put the bike together and went for a short ride just to see how it would peddle and ride, everything worked like I wanted it to so I came back home and completely tore the bike back down to bare frame, cleaned frame thouroughly with clean rags and acetone, hung it up and gave it a couple good coats of primer and when that dried a couple good coats of fresh equipment enamel paint, John Deere Yellow to be exact.

Did a few other things as well but just tried to have a fairly productive day with the Schwinn bike.

Map

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
Installed a sava mc51 2.75" x 17" tires. It is 2.93" wide, and measured 22.625" diameter fully inflated to 30psi. Fits like a glove in the frame, will have to see if it'll clear the chain line.

Cruise

Oct 2, 2013
Australia
Made a new float bowl gasket and stuck it in.
Cleaned all the fuel from almost everywhere to the rear of the carby from the leak it had.
I did find another place where my chain was lightly hitting the motor body. It was where the top bolt of the clutch lever cover plate goes through the casing. Also mounts the chain guard. Two grooves there, and I noticed my chain has the lube knocked off it in the corresponding place. Filed it down a bit. Been busy with the kids so haven't ridden it since but looking forward to maybe a quieter motor.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Got my new Kenda Kiniption 24 x 2.35 tires in the mail yesterday and I throughly cleaned one of my new 26" wheel master wheels with CRC Brake Cleaner and the mounted it onto the rear of a frame I am gonna turn into a nice bike in the near future and and sprayer several good coats of Valspar Clear Gloss enamel on wheels rim, I spin the wheels so I get an even coat and no runs in the finish, I've noticed that these new chrome rims seem to rust real easy and pretty quick since I guess the chrome is very thin on them, so several light coats of a good quality durable clear gloss finish sprayed on them after a good degreasing and cleaning will seal out the moister and makes the dust wash off easier also.
I dont like rust on my wheels if I can help it and this is a fairly quick and easy way to keep the wheels rust free, the chrome does take on a slightly textured appearance, but it is still shiny and looks just fine in my opinion, just looses a little of the extra slick look since most all enamel has a bit of an orange peel look when it dries.

Here are some pics of the rim after the clear coat and also after I mounted the Kenda k927 Cruiser tires on them that will be on the Schwinn Fleet Cruiser once I get the Frame painted and the engine built for it, by the way this bike is gonna be bright and colorful, building it to stand out and be very comfortable for so long 40+mph cruises, may not be my fastest build so far but should be close to the others and it will definitely be an eye catcher build, I'm pretty excited about this one and hoping it turns out the way I have imagined in my country boy head...LOL!

Map
.bf.
Those tires look sick on that bike! I like it a lot!!
Was thinking about putting 24's on mine later on but I'll need to convert to disk brakes for sure...
Good idea clearing over the new chrome rims to prevent rust. I was going to make mention that if you need a better clear but don't have a paint gun or just don't want to break out the painting equipment to shoot on the automotive grade clear, you can get the 2k clears in a can for about $20 per can. The way it works is there's a release under the bottom of the can that releases the cataylist into the rest of the can then you shake it good and spray, it only lasts about 24 hours once released but you get a very tough 2 part clear with the convenience of the spray can. This is the same stuff you would normally buy a quart size can of clear and an 8 ounce size can of hardener and it's every bit as tough as well. Here's what I'm talking about and it's really good stuff... you could use this on a new build to protect just about any paint job... http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Those tires look sick on that bike! I like it a lot!!
Was thinking about putting 24's on mine later on but I'll need to convert to disk brakes for sure...
Good idea clearing over the new chrome rims to prevent rust. I was going to make mention that if you need a better clear but don't have a paint gun or just don't want to break out the painting equipment to shoot on the automotive grade clear, you can get the 2k clears in a can for about $20 per can. The way it works is there's a release under the bottom of the can that releases the cataylist into the rest of the can then you shake it good and spray, it only lasts about 24 hours once released but you get a very tough 2 part clear with the convenience of the spray can. This is the same stuff you would normally buy a quart size can of clear and an 8 ounce size can of hardener and it's every bit as tough as well. Here's what I'm talking about and it's really good stuff... you could use this on a new build to protect just about any paint job... http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm
Thanks for thelink Dave, yes I have two of the Binks 7 clones and a couple smaller guns, but for small stuff I dont likr to buy paint or clear coat so that aerosol Urethane clear would be an excellent way to go, never seen that stuff before but I thinking that would be an excellent clear coat to protect and add better shine to the rattle can equipment enamel finishI like to use on the things I spray paint normally, the equipment enamel is already a tougher fi ish than normal rattle can paint but that urethane clear would add even more durability....
Yes sir I ll be ordering me a can of that to give it a try.

On the tire stuff:

Yeah I got the Red 26x 2.125 Kenda K927 tires mounted on the heavy duty Wheel Maste wheels yesterday, They're pretty colorful and almost clownish.... but I wanted to use something different on this bike so the red tire caught my eye, many years ago I was a friends ( keep my car running crew ) since he had money but no mechanical knowledge and had bought a Bracket car which happed to be a moderately pwered Chevy Vega with a fairly well built 355 cid, the car was Red and had Yellow striping across hood and down sides of car, I always kinda like the Red and Yellow together so that is the theme of my Schwinn build, the frame is John Deere Yellow and the Red is tthese Kenda tires, im hoping it doesnt look like a clown bike when Im done but it's for sure that it will be bright......lol

I need another sprocket adapter for a sprocket change on the old 63 Western Flyer bike and then Ill be putting the wider and meaty 24x 2.35 Kenda Kiniption tires on it, they will look pretty nice on that bike, I am waiting to get my Diamond Head from Jake's and he will be sending me an adapter and a cut-on piston when he ships the head, the head and piston will be for the new build and the adapter will be for the old Western Flyer.

Thanks again for sharing that link with us for the urethane clear coat..... that sounds like an awesome way to increase the durability of a simple rattle can finish or prevent rust on the chrome wheels.

Map
.wee.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
The red tires will look a lot better after you paint your frame yellow... I saw a Suzuki TL1000R with red Tomahawk tires and it looked ultra rad with the yellow bike and red tires.

If I decide to use colored tires on mine I'll look for a lime green set and do the bike in black and dark gray with lime green and white pinstriping or accents... That's my fav color combo.

Yeah, I really like the 2k clear in the rattle can for smaller jobs because it gives the same toughness and superior shine as automotive 2k clear but the convenience of spraying it anywhere. I got 3 Binks clone paint guns, 3 or 4 touch up guns, and about 7 or 8 airbrushes, all the airbrushes are high end name brand tho like DeVilbiss, Badger, and Paasche, I've tried a few Iwata clones before and they just didn't perform, but the name brand ones do great. For the paint guns, since I'm more of an artist than a painter, the Binks clones do just fine as long as they're kept really really clean... Some of the best clone paint guns I've seen are the Harbor Freight professional paint gun kit that comes with 2 guns in a plastic case... the chrome and purple ones for like $49... Everyone I know that has that set loves them and says they perform just as good as the namebrand stuff. I got my 3 gun kit from TCPGlobal.com and they're good, but I've heard the harbor freight ones are a lot better so I'll get that kit before I start painting again. Once I start painting again I'll most likely sub contract out the clear coating since the paint is soooo toxic and I'm not sure if I'll be allowed to spray it at the shop I'll be renting yet.
I finally got my CNC router now and got it all set up so I've been in here a LOT less trying to learn all the software etc. and I'll be opening up a store front here in San Antonio as soon as I can find a good space to rent so I'll be up and painting again, mostly airbrushing, but I'll also be doing custom CNC art... as well as making a few goodies for these engines that i've been wanting to make and test, I'll also be making my own copper gasket sets etc too... and anything else anyone in here might think up that's reasonable... and I'm buying my wife a professional embroidery machine that I need to learn and teach her to use, but it'll also be set up at the new shop and I'll turn some of my artwork into T shirts or button downs etc too.
If you guys don't see me in here for a while it's not because I lost interest or anything like that, I just need to take some time out and learn all this software so I can get it to pay for it's self soon... lol

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I tightened my muffler.

I feel like such a slacker.......................

LOL X, we are hosting a picnic/ride this month and I don't have a running MB. At least 4 in various stages of function but not one functioning. (major slacker) salute

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Hahaha... same here... Been trying to learn a few things about some of my new toys and no time to ride after building up a sweet engine and new pipe and all... Hopefully I'll be back on it again soon. What I'm Really hoping for is to be able to rent one of the store fronts close to home so I can ride it to work since there's space available like just outside my neighborhood.

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I've never been good at painting, the only thing that still looks good for me are these

Paint them back in 2007, and still looks good today.
Hopefully, when i do paint my bike it'll look half as good. hahha

The red tires will look a lot better after you paint your frame yellow... I saw a Suzuki TL1000R with red Tomahawk tires and it looked ultra rad with the yellow bike and red tires.

If I decide to use colored tires on mine I'll look for a lime green set and do the bike in black and dark gray with lime green and white pinstriping or accents... That's my fav color combo.

Yeah, I really like the 2k clear in the rattle can for smaller jobs because it gives the same toughness and superior shine as automotive 2k clear but the convenience of spraying it anywhere. I got 3 Binks clone paint guns, 3 or 4 touch up guns, and about 7 or 8 airbrushes, all the airbrushes are high end name brand tho like DeVilbiss, Badger, and Paasche, I've tried a few Iwata clones before and they just didn't perform, but the name brand ones do great. For the paint guns, since I'm more of an artist than a painter, the Binks clones do just fine as long as they're kept really really clean... Some of the best clone paint guns I've seen are the Harbor Freight professional paint gun kit that comes with 2 guns in a plastic case... the chrome and purple ones for like $49... Everyone I know that has that set loves them and says they perform just as good as the namebrand stuff. I got my 3 gun kit from TCPGlobal.com and they're good, but I've heard the harbor freight ones are a lot better so I'll get that kit before I start painting again. Once I start painting again I'll most likely sub contract out the clear coating since the paint is soooo toxic and I'm not sure if I'll be allowed to spray it at the shop I'll be renting yet.
I finally got my CNC router now and got it all set up so I've been in here a LOT less trying to learn all the software etc. and I'll be opening up a store front here in San Antonio as soon as I can find a good space to rent so I'll be up and painting again, mostly airbrushing, but I'll also be doing custom CNC art... as well as making a few goodies for these engines that i've been wanting to make and test, I'll also be making my own copper gasket sets etc too... and anything else anyone in here might think up that's reasonable... and I'm buying my wife a professional embroidery machine that I need to learn and teach her to use, but it'll also be set up at the new shop and I'll turn some of my artwork into T shirts or button downs etc too.
If you guys don't see me in here for a while it's not because I lost interest or anything like that, I just need to take some time out and learn all this software so I can get it to pay for it's self soon... lol

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
Anyhow, I'm amazed at the Firmstrong Chief bike. With 2.93" sava mc51 tires, both pedal and drive chains clear with a little less than 1/8" offset to the right. Hopefully, offsetting the tire < 1/8" won't affect drivability too much.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
LOL X, we are hosting a picnic/ride this month and I don't have a running MB. At least 4 in various stages of function but not one functioning. (major slacker) salute
Wow Dan..... you best get busy and throw a ride together for the picnic and cruise.. one day is all you need and you dont want to miss a nice ride with some fella motorized bicyclists.....

You should be ashamed of yourself......lol... just kidding but seriously I bet you can have a rider ready in a day easy.

Map

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hadnt done a thing to my bikes today, but I came into town to do a couple things for my mother and as I passed by one of the local pawn shops I happened to see an old Orange cruiser bike stuck back behind an old mtn bike, so I made a mad dash to see what it might be and it was a rough but good shape Kulana Moon Dog 7 speed cruiser, paint is rough but overall not a bad project bike, they make darn nice builds in my opinion and the one I already have is a nice riding bike.

Oh the best part of the deal was the little gal I ask about price for the bike told me thay figured they'd need to get $10 for it, well I almost strained my shoulder trying to get those two $5 bills outta my pocket, ai got me another good little Kulana bike now, good day for me bike shopping.... since all I was actually doing was going to pay a cell phone bill for mother and get her a pepperoni pizza from little ceasers.

Map
dnut

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I ride a green moon dog - frame is tiny, but absorbs vibration better than any I've seen.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Not sleeping much last night-

so I put a shock fork on the 50cc Huffy build-

a trash find awhile back- finally put it on
got shock forks on both the bikes now

they really are a smoother ride and probably safer because the bars don;t jar as badly

drn2

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Not sleeping much last night-

so I put a shock fork on the 50cc Huffy build-

a trash find awhile back- finally put it on
got shock forks on both the bikes now

they really are a smoother ride and probably safer because the bars don;t jar as badly

drn2
Looks good NKat,

Seems to me a front suspension also adds safety because the shocks absorb a lot of the shock that the wheel rim and spoke would take when we happen to hit a chug hole we couldn't avoid, plus like you said they do take a good bit of the jolts out of the handlebars on rough roads and the occasional pot hole.

The shocks are much better than the springer forks in my opinion also, I have a nice set of springer forks on one bike, but I an to replace them with shocks asap on that bike, next best thing I have found to shocks is running the big balloon tires with about 40-42 lbs in them, it is amzing how much smoother the bike rides.

Looks like a happpy and colorful Huffy there Nash Kat.

Map