Another old guy

GoldenMotor.com

Tool Maker

Oct 28, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Hello everyone, this looks like lots of fun!

Like the title says, I am another guy that has been around motorcycles for awhile. My first machine was a 1925 Harley Davidson JD, which was closer to a Boardtrack bike than a motorcycle. That was more than 40 years ago.

I am a Tool & Die maker by profession, and tend to be a perfectionist.

I became interested in the motorized bicycle world as I ride bicycles for my health, but find the ride to work too taxing on human power alone. I have been lurking here & reading for a few weeks, and will be motorizing my bike this year.

But then I started reading the Racing sections... My wife is going to hate you guys! Hopefully I can find time to watch the next race at the Grange.

Anyway, thanks for all of the great stuff on these forums, hopefully I will be able to help someone out here to "pay it foreward"

B.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Welcome to another "Old Guy". I tend to have the "p-word" problem also that SB would probably attest to, but there is so much improvising to do on these things that you will never run out of challenges. Keep reading, it'll help minimize issues and mistakes and ask questions when needed. The folks here are the best.
Good Luck, Dan

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
From a semi old timer...I welcome you to the best MB forum. There are some guys on the track that are 50+ and we still are pushing our limits.
Hope to see you out there too.
Ken

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
From one old guy to another, welcome aboard. You'll find plenty here to keep you interested, no doubt.
Just a word of warning. If you build one, you'll have to have another, and then another and so forth... :) They're addictive.
Tom

Tool Maker

Oct 28, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks guys.

It will be a little bit of a challenge the first time through. The only two bicycles in the garage are my Trek Y frame, and a chinese copy of a Y frame. I do like having full suspension.

I have spent plenty of time on hardtail machines:

That was a year old car in the background when that pic was taken.

B.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Tool Maker

Hello & welcome. This is a great place Paul (our leader) started for us.

It has been only 62 yrs since my first diy motor bike and 59 yrs since my 1st "Tractor", a 1936 80cid flathead with the lost recovery oil system. In 1955 was very lucky & happy to purchase a 1949 74 "Chuckie Fat Wheel", another nick name for a Harley.

One of the hardest parts of a motorized bicycle is the choice`s you have to "make" = which style frame, what motor, on and on! lol Even harder if a perfectionist! Is there another way of doing things ??

Ron

Tool Maker

Oct 28, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Ron:

My next Harley after the 1925 JD was a 1934 VLD with the 80 inch flathead. It had the same tiny brakes as the JD, but weighed more...

Been a lot more over the years, and I miss them all occasionally. Even the 1972 Kawasaki H2 that tried to kill me repeatedly.

I ride the bicycle to keep the blood pressure down, but sometimes the traffic has an opposite effect. The 11 mile walk at SEMA today will probably be enough for now. I did get to see this little guy in person:

http://www.mandofootloose.com/

An e-bike with a twist - no chain. A generator between the cranks, a hub motor in the rear & a frame full of LiFePo batteries. Really kind of slick.

B.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Welcome Tool Maker, from a guy who's not getting any younger, but acts like it...(^) Hope you can make it to Grange next year and check out all the cool builds and the races. You can always bring your wife if it'll make her happy.....or not ;)

Have fun with your first build, it won't be your last.....trust me :D

dnut

Tool Maker

Oct 28, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Scotto.

The wife is pretty tolerant of the hobbies, but does not go to a lot of races. She is familiar with projects that get out of hand - like the parts on the bench in front of the Barracuda right now...

I am looking forward to going to the Grange in the spring.

Right now the decision is displacement & cycles for the bike. I have a couple of TC 200 engines hanging around, and 49cc is NV legal. But I can probably put a larger 4 stroke on it and they would never know... Decisions, decisions.

B.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Had a young man come into the shop a while back and said the "Big One" is coming up, referring to his birthday. Had to ask, and he said 40! I can't say I've felt like I had the "Big One" yet but I'm surely getting to be an Old Guy!
Dan

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
From one old guy to another old guy and from one tool maker to another good to meet you. I built raced and restored motorcycles 40 years until I crashed and died (I was revived) so then I restored a sports car. I have built one motorized bike and have just statred on a new one. good to have you onboard