Florida Grandfather 1st time

GoldenMotor.com

jmperry55

Dec 3, 2010
Fort Myers, Florida
Hi everyone. I searched the net and found a 49cc kit after my grandson saw someone riding one and started talking about it. I thought I'd put it together for him and give it to him for Christmas. Was going together good thanks to all the information I found here, until I broke the sparkplug wire at the plug boot. I'm going to search here and see where I can get one, hopefully in time for Christmas.:-||:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for help and advice.
You can get a new plug wire and boot from any auto parts, motorcycle or lawnmower shop. We recommend a solid core (metallic) or a high performance resistance plug wire and a good quality plug boot. The wire simply screws into the CDI, the small black plastic box. Righty tighty, lefty loosy. A 7mm wire will go right in but you'll need to trim anything larger diameter.
By the way...how old is the grandson? Keep in mind that these are not toys and are capable of speeds in the 30mph range. Not a good choice for a very youngster.
Have fun and don't hesitate to ask if we can help you get on the road.
Tom

SoFresh

Nov 1, 2010
US
Fort Myers, eh?

Very possible it was me! Haha.
But I have seen a few others riding around as well, so we will never know for sure.

Seems like a simple fix, Just get a higher grade boot plug and you'll be set!

jmperry55

Dec 3, 2010
Fort Myers, Florida
dance1Thanks for the so quick replys. Duh-h-h, when I read these posts, I put on my glasses and looked closely at the end of the plug wire and the boot cap. Sure enough, a tiny little screw thread. I just screwed the plug boot back on the end of the wire, and Zoomo! It still didn't start. So I came back on the forum and looked at some other problems like one I didn't feel right about, connecting the throttle linkage to the carb. Found another set of pictures that included that little step, (which was missing from the instructions at the link provided with my kit. Oh Happy Day, it cranked right up, I rode it around 10 blocks 5 times, and I am a happy camper!!! The kid will get an operable Christmas present! Thanks to all you folks, without whom I would still be banging my head on the floor over some very simple stuff.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Congratulations. Merry Christmas to you and that lucky grandson. I built one for my nephew last Christmas. He's the envy of every kid in his neighborhood. Heaven only knows how many miles he's put on that bike...he had to get a job to keep up with his gasoline bill. Glad you've joined us, now its time you built one for yourself and the two of you can go riding together.
Tom

jmperry55

Dec 3, 2010
Fort Myers, Florida
Roger that! He's gonna love it. He has been attached to the Yerf-Dog Kart I bought him years ago, but it finally was beyond repair and he sold it for parts. He's gonna love this!