2 stroke oil or not

GoldenMotor.com

Flight Risk

Jan 25, 2010
I ran out of gas several miles from home and opted to get gas at a station rather than pedal home. They didn't have 2 stroke oil of course so I grabbed some 10w40 and guestimated 3 oz in a half gallon of fuel. I drove on home with no bad smoke or running problems. I'm wondering if it's safe to run this tank out, or use it in my lawnmower or car.
I just checked wikipedia and it says that 2 stroke oil is low ash which prvents deposits. Are these like carbon deposits in the combustion chamber?
When I was a teen with my first motorcycle (Yamaha 50), I would buy Golden West recycled motor oil for 29c a quart and mix with the 29c a gallon gas and took off.
.ride7a

Rod S

Last edited:

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
i will say no i will drain it and put the right gas and oil mixture i rather be safe than for you to buy a brand new engine due to using the wrong oil to gas mixture

Nitrohorse

Aug 1, 2008
Early 2 cycle engines (Maytag circa 1920's) used a mix of gas and non-detergent 30w motor oil. That said, I doubt that you did any harm with your emergency mix to get you home. I agree with the other poster in that I would drain the 10w-30 mix and use it in your lawnmower.

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
they run motor oil in theese engines in china. Thats prob what they ran in them for the handheld on the floor engine run before packaging..

klb6154

Jun 20, 2010
pittsburgh pa
when i was a kid i had a harley davidson golf kart w a 250 2 stroke motor and stamped on the cap for the gas cap was use sae30oil attachedl under the cap was a meta cup aprox 6 to 8 oz it was a 1971 model so i gues its not a new idea but i have learned w twostroke motors over the years that the better the oil the longer youre motor will last and the better youre performance will be

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
it will only build up carbon and only if you do it for a long time, not going to hurt to do it in an emergency, i have 3 maytag engines and i run motor oil in them. i also have a 76 suzuki re-5 rotory bike and it calls for 50w motor oil to be run in the injector tank.

klb6154

Jun 20, 2010
pittsburgh pa
im not that versed on rotary engines but it is to my thinking that the oil is ingected to lubricate the (rings) by that i mean the seal between the rotor and the housing i think that the bearings are sealed on one side and run in the same oilbath as the tranny on that kind of engine , correct me if i am wrong im used to it (KLB the angy sasquatch)

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
on the re-5 the oil is injected into the carb and burned by the engine, i belive it is ment to lube the apex seals, which are kind of like the piston rings.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
Years ago on the old Villers 2 strokes we mixed 30wt motor oil with gas and usually gusssed at the mixture. The only problem was spark plug fouling. Engines don't die from too much lubricant. Years later when racing RD 400's we tried to lean them out for speed and blew up a lot of motors.

Jim C

Flight Risk

Jan 25, 2010
Thanks to all. I am draining it just to be safe. And I even learned a bit about rotary engines. My brother had an RE2 way back when. It was sure fun to drive , but got 10 mpg and started smoking at 20K miles.

Rod S

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It is possible those RE-5's ran the oil through the crank bearings as well, as do a lot of injected two strokes....which the RE-5 was not.

Just sayin'.