Panama Jack Huffy Beach Cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
Yeah - I've heard that from vendors too - but... looking at the engine they're identical in castings, literally identical. I've seen variances in castings with other engine kits, the head's cooling fins in particular but the Grubee and the Flying Horse don't even have the littlest deviation that I can find...

The thing with the Grubees is they include all sorts of extra stuff with the kit... (mounts, extra gaskets, hardware, bigger tank etc.) I almost wonder if that's the difference? That it's a "better kit" like the vendor says - but the engine itself is the same, it's just the Flying Horse kit doesn't have those extra bits? I dunno as I've not gotten the Flying Horse kit, just checked out a buddy's.

Still - I suspect they may be the same... I'd defo get a Flying Horse if it was cheaper, particularly as just an engine and not a full kit.

I'm all ears if anyone's got any more info tho ;)
I did notice that the Flying Horse is a straight plug while the Skyhawk has an angle plug head.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
laff

Yea, buddy o'mine jus' got a new Skyhawk & it had the slant head *shrug* never quite know whatcha gonna get till ya open the box I guess :p

Nice touch, painting the cyl black BTW - obv I like it heh

Robbie D

Jun 27, 2010
los angeles
hey everybody! first post here! just got a PJ Huffy and noticed that the front engine mount is too narrow to fit the front frame. is there a bracket that I can use to get the fit right? thanks for you input>

choppergirl

Jul 9, 2010
USA
I have been thinking of building a bike out of this same frame. I like the matte black finish, though its a no frills bike and you pay for the branding. Walmart has them for $159.99

choppergirl

Jul 9, 2010
USA
I was at Walmart today sizing them up again, seeing if I could get use to it with the seat lowered as low as possible... and maybe the handlebars relocated or replaced all together. A guy started talking to me who is a subcontractor who assembles them for Walmart, and he was trying to talk me into a job I think. I told him I had tore down my 25 year old Honda Rebel and was restoring it frame up, killing all rust with a drill and steel brush attachment, rust converter, putting on new chain, sprockets, tires, rebuildign the front forks, etc. So if you need a job and putting bikes together is your thing... Walmart hires subcontractors to do this

choppergirl

Jul 9, 2010
USA
I'd like to thank you guys for posting pictures, so I could see what a finished bike might look like. I snagged one of the pictures one of you posted in this thread and did a mockup of my finished design in a photo editor... (see below)

What I'm aiming to build is something with a retro golden age of motorbikes look... a Model A so to speak for my naecent fairytale motorcycle shop. At $160 for the stock bike and another $100 for a Chinese engine off Ebay, plus adding some disc brakes, probably talking at least $300, and I can't see spending that on another motorbike when I already have one. Not to mention all the assembly work. $300 is a $hitLoad of money for me

http://i.imgur.com/vCxGb.jpg

Concept art & bike look/idea copyright ( c ) 2010 Starr Motorworks ;-)
and CHOPPERGIRL http://choppergirl.air-war.org

I think the black engine looks better on this frame, don't you?

No F*ing insurance to pay,
Nobody to tow your car away;
Nobody F*s with your ride
Lest you put a spell on their hide!
The Starr 1910 Broomstick
Preferred 10 to 1 by modern, discriminating witches

Miss Gulch from the Wizard of OZ is my inspiration (youtube video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4kiXh8YOzk

Last edited:

choppergirl

Jul 9, 2010
USA
Yes, my other ride is a Huey... http://i.imgur.com/RbH3b.jpg http://i.imgur.com/377eu.jpg

I found this link to buy them through Walmart Online for $139.00, with Bonus $20 eGift Card w/ free shipping. Now, when I hoisted the bike up to the price scanner in Walmart today, it was $159. So is this after the eGift card is deducted, or... really a bonus? I guess I need to test and go through checkout if not finalize the purchase to find out. If really a bonus, that would bring it down to $119 (sort of, assuming you need to buy something else online from Walmart), which becomes a bit more reasonable for a no frills frame, compared to all the other $99 bikes at Walmart.

Also, some folks mentioned this is a frame used in other bikes... or similiar frame. I'm thinking if I could slum one up elsewhere.... I want some nice new big baloony tires though and the seat doesn't seem that bad. If I can get this for $119, and luck out on ebay and snipe an engine kit for $50... and a can of flat black matte paint for $.99.... under $170 plus my own labor?

But will it fly? YouTube - Judy Garland - The Wizard Of Oz Cyclone Scene, 1939

Last edited:

choppergirl

Jul 9, 2010
USA
The Cranbrook has a lot of negative reviews for build quality, however another interesting bike at Walmart is the aluminum framed Ocean Pacific for $118:

Walmart.com: Ocean Pacific Men's 26" Beach Cruiser with Bonus $20 eGift Card: Bikes, Scooters & Skates

It has even *bigger* tires than the Panama Jack, is glass black, and has a very lightweight aluminum frame and lots of good reviews. The seat is aweful, but you can replace that for $25 from the bike accessories with the same seat as the Panama Jack, but with white flowers on black seat.

The downside of both bikes... no caliber brakes at all, no front shocks, and and no gears . I would, down the road, want to do a jackshaft type of affair, and there are 3 speed and 7 speed cruiser bikes out there that would probably be better bikes. If you don't want to do a jackshaft, and are willing to spend extra money and install disc brakes, the OC gets you a lightweight aluminum frame and big bouncy almost motorped sized tires on the cheap.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
This is the exact same thing as the Panama Jack without the branding Walmart.com: Huffy Men's 26" Deluxe Cruiser with Bonus $20 eGift Card: Bikes, Scooters & Skates I was looking at it yesterday and I forgot to see if it had a hang point for a derailleur, which You would need for a shift kit. You can get axelmount but You run the risk of bending the axle SBP reccomends a HD axel or skewers and hanging a derailleur off a skewer axel doesnt work well, you need that second mount point. This would be what I would go for (wal-mart bikes) If I were doing it first time again Walmart.com: Men's Schwinn 26'' Landmark Cruiser with Bonus $20 eGift Card: Bikes, Scooters & Skates You got caliper brakes , gear system in place (for shift kit), just take it apart replace the bearings put it back together correctly, get a set of disc wheels and a disc brake adapter that works for cruisers( Venice MotorBikes is working on one)
Cheers

Last edited:

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
.... Walmart Online for $139.00, with Bonus $20 eGift Card w/ free shipping means you only get the deal online. If I were you I'd go with that or the OP. You can retrofit caliPer bakes at a later time. Those new Chinese Shwinns have crappy bearings and fail after 50miles. If you don't mind a chick bike then Bikebuyers.com has great deals. If you live in Cali you can get an even better deal on a will call (pick up).