Alternatives to Jim's Sprocket Adapter

GoldenMotor.com

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Terry,

I am totally at a loss. I can't even get Jim on the phone. Apparently, he does not want to do a setup for anyone else for the Nexus 3 Speed. Maybe you could order an extra and I could pay you whatever profit & shipping you deem fit. Let me know.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Good grief!

I didn't catch this until now.

Here's how the confusion came about.

Terry placed his order with his hub size 1.851". During a follow-up phone call he had told me that it was a Nexus 3-speed...which means nothing to me as I don't have a complete colection of wheel hubs here at the shop. If I did, I wouldn't have to rely on you guys to check things over carefully.

Last week, another customer sent in a Nexus 3-speed to see if it could be done. Upon inspection I found out that the Nexus hub is stepped...it is not the same diameter all the way across. Due to the step, I said no...yes in fact it can be done, but it's going to be a pain to step the adapter to fit the hub. I had forgotten that Terry had told me his was a Nexus 3-speed.

I'm going to have to do these manually to create an accurate step...it will be time consuming compared to the process I normally use.

Terry I realize you probably didn't notice the step in diameter. If you measure it again, you'll see that the diameter in the middle is different, (larger), than the diameter near the spoke flange. It's not a huge difference visually. As far as measurements go...it might as well be a mile.

I'll do these two; but everyone please...in the future...look at, and measure, your hubs carefully. Look at the photos on my website carefully. The sprocket adapters are made to clamp around the hub and engage fully with the surface. Gaps, steps in diameter,...etc. cause problems.

2dawgs...call back and we'll get it all straightened out so that you can order an adapter for your Nexus.

Sorry for the confusion guys.

Jim

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Jim,

Thank you very much. I was about to give up on my build; your addpater is critical to making this setup work safely and right.

Steve

2dawgs

Feb 15, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
Bill,

You are so right. When I rode your stretch and saw Jim's adapter/sprocket setup; I knew it was the only way to go. I am glad Jim is aware of my problem and is going to make me & Terry one. .shft.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
OK so I have to apologize to Jim after speaking with him after his post here I had no idea he was going to have to go to so much trouble to build my adapter. I am sorry and glad all at the same time cause now I have a really aw-some adapter and sprockets to go with it. So the word is Yes Jim is building these two adapters and then it is it (NO TO NEXUS 3 SPEEDS ADAPTERS)
THANK YOU JIM FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK
Terry

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
Like I said boys we should be urging Jim to make us a real hub with real bearings to withstand 30 mph and better for long term rides.

Gene, You can get a good hub that will withstand the speed and abuse, but be prepaired to pay for it. Probably going to cost quite a bit more than an engine kit, and that seems to be what everyone uses as a base for building their bike.
Search Phil Wood hand built hubs with sealed bearings.

John

GeneFiorot

Feb 12, 2009
Punta Gorda Florida
Gene, You can get a good hub that will withstand the speed and abuse, but be prepaired to pay for it. Probably going to cost quite a bit more than an engine kit, and that seems to be what everyone uses as a base for building their bike.
Search Phil Wood hand built hubs with sealed bearings.

John
I checked it out Nice! thanks Gene