what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

took the front derailleur off my mtb to make the motor sit lower, giving me the room to install the throttle cable. Who needs a front derailleur, anyway?

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina

Hey Skaard, had the same problem on my BB7. I tried going to a round rotor, but the diameter is the same as the high points on your rotor, so it didn't help. The best fix is to use another small spacer in the top frame of the caliper to move it a mm or so higher (away from the rotor). You probably know already that Avid sells these or you can simply use metric washers and stack as needed. Another tip, if you have a standard sized rotor you can get an adapter that extends the caliper mount either 20mm or 40mm to allow the use of a 203mm rotor which really adds stopping power.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

Hey Skaard, had the same problem on my BB7. I tried going to a round rotor, but the diameter is the same as the high points on your rotor, so it didn't help. The best fix is to use another small spacer in the top frame of the caliper to move it a mm or so higher (away from the rotor). You probably know already that Avid sells these or you can simply use metric washers and stack as needed. Another tip, if you have a standard sized rotor you can get an adapter that extends the caliper mount either 20mm or 40mm to allow the use of a 203mm rotor which really adds stopping power.
yeah i'm planning on eventually getting a 203mm disc someday. had a few washers laying around so i tossed one on each bolt and it spaced it perfectly.

185 + bb7 = amazing stopping power! can't wait to run a 203 front and 160 back.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Better to have too much stopping power than to little, eh? :) You guys with huge discs be careful not to bolt yourselves over the bars in an "incident", its better just to lay the bike down than to smack into whatever head on...

So I got one of These on monday. I was thinking it had a build in brake-switch, but no. Its a built in kill switch, plus it accepts your throttle handle, and is a dual pull brake. I was surprised it accepted the handle too, I was getting worried about space left on my bars. But it totally replaces the 'stock' kill switch 'enclosure' with its own metal design. The shipping was kinda brutal to Ontario, but I had to have one! Love it so far!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Hey Killer that looks nice!
I know what you mean about the disk brakes I run the 203mm and love it! If I let someone take a ride it is always forewarned not to hit them hard and they always come back surprised.

I have got totally spoiled with them. Going over sized makes a difference as encountering fade from a high speed immediate stop is very graceful. :)

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina

Hey Goat, I like the long handle. When you're yanking on two calipers you need a little extra leverage. My cheepo dual has a short lever. Does having a single point of failure ever bother you?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

It is a solid unit Scooty, not pot-metal carp some handles are. Your throttle handle fits right in it. The built in kill switch saves room on the bars. etc...

I could only imagine 203's Goat/Skarrd, I've only got 160's and I'm sure I could do a stoppie if I wanted to. The 203's must be nuts!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Scoot my currant bike's run Morini's and have a centrifugal clutch. I don't need a duel caliper. What killer posted is a big help clearing up the bars with a china motor! His model is safer than some of the others because if one brake fails the cables are still independent of each other. I just run separate brake handles.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

I built a lean forward seat post because sunday I put 45 miles on it an the seat was a bit far back an it beat my arse to death, an leaned out the carb, so before work I built that an ran shop errands all day on mine 27 more miles. as an acid test .
Sry to hear of you being beaten, gnu!

I'm pleased to see someone has finally noticed, or at least commented on way-back seats.

For comfort, worst place is over the rear axle, or even close to it.
You get every bit of hop the axle sees that can not be diminished by your seat springs.

With a tall seatpost, you get amplified hop, AND a forward/backward jolt along with a horrid cg.

Probably best place for seating is near as possible to axle height, midway between the axles.

I think the recumbent guys figured it out.
I never tried one.
Perhaps I should!

Best
rc

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

I'm kind of a cheepo, Goat. Anything with a cool Italian name like Morini sounds expensive.
Ya get's what ya pay for lol. I started out with china two smokes there not for me. After blue printing them and overhauling everything to make them do what i wanted.. I came to my senses and got a motor that needed nuttun at all but oil and gas:)

You can spend extra money on a china and get a centrifuge clutch too. The clutch will need to be modded to last tho..

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh

almost ready to fire the occ, starfire GT-2 HO,need only fuel tank mounted,hoses,filter and wired. today hooked up clutch and chain took for dry run down drive way poped clutch for second shes gonna be loud through the basicly straight pipe. debating on re-paint or leave it be.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

It is a solid unit Scooty, not pot-metal carp some handles are. Your throttle handle fits right in it. The built in kill switch saves room on the bars. etc...

I could only imagine 203's Goat/Skarrd, I've only got 160's and I'm sure I could do a stoppie if I wanted to. The 203's must be nuts!
lol with how heavy the predator is, i'd be very surprised if it ever did do a stoppie!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Morinis are sold out. Got very lucky here because I managed to get two water cooled ones and two air cooled ones. You can still get a KTM clone motor tho and everyone seams to love them. They are two smokes. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=37186&page=11

Here is my documented diary on mine. Best money I ever spent in this hobby me personally. It run's perfect and is a daily rider.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=28531

Look at this one! http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=37285

Then power of a Morini.. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=32636

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

lmao Scootyman... She's a 2 stroke, but I'm not even sure you can get them stateside anymore. Dax has a nice GP50 that is pretty much a clone of them. She ain't cheap though, Five'ish bills will get you a sweet engine with 9hp, but you still have to build your own mounts and whatnots. She ain't no kit motor, that's for sure... She eats them for breakfast :D

http://thatsdax.com/ On the right side of the main page.

Oh yea, btw, if anyone is anywhere near here: http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=3050+S...Street,+Maryland+21154,+United+States&t=m&z=7

There's a race coming up for us east coasters:http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=38586

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina

Whew, that's a lot of info Goat and Killer, good stuff though. Here I am up to me ears in engines, and you are guys are tempting me with something better!
I did a little research and it looks to me like cheap clones and emission standards killed off the Morinis. Another thing, my engines are in the 3.5HP range and they haul pretty good. I'm agreeing that anything over 4/5HP will put a heck of a strain on conventional bike components. As you guys point out, the choice is to stay within that range or be prepared to totally upgrade components to ensure durability (When is a MB not a motorcycle?!?!?). Not sure I'm ready to go that route. Another important consideration, do the Morinis, DAX 50s, and KTMs have stators to power accessories? Being an old motorcycle hack, this seems to be a real drawback to the Chinese and Honda units. Thinking I might have to design my own engine,mmmmmmm. Got some ideas. Would be super cool to trailer the Hornet and Stiletto to Maryland. Might have the Spoiler out of the boxes by then. Are you guys going?.wee.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I rode mine to town to check on a yard I mow and pick up the mail. I was having such a good time riding around and talking a friend into buying a Dax Friction Drive, I forgot the time, and my wife said she was starting to worry about me by the time I got home.