what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Got the handlebars drilled and mounted the kill switch/throttle grip setup, painted my NT air filter cover red so it kinda looks like Dr Henry Killinger's skull logo.

Coming this weekend: final motor mount!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Thorn resistant tube | Shop thorn resistant tube sales & prices at TheFind

Amazon.com: Avenir Thorn-Resistant Schrader valve MTB tube (26 x 1.75-1.95): Sports & Outdoors
I love the Kenda's
BUTYL RUBBER THORN RESISTANT BICYCLE TUBES
Kenda Thorn Resistant SV Bicycle Tube 26x1.9/2.125 26"

XLC tubes have up to 4.5mm wall thickness at the tread area! So do Kenda.

Kenda Thorn Resistant SV Bicycle Tube 26x1.9/2.125 26"

Kenda Thorn-Resistant Tube.

Size: 26 1.9/2.125 (1.9" to 2-1/8").
Extra Thick 4.3mm Butyl Tube.
Schrader Valve. Same as Car tires.Kenda

PRICE: $8.99

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Yesterday, changed a flat. (Why does it always have to be the back on MBs with 2 chains?) So soaked the drive chain in chainsaw lube. I didn't clean it but should have. Was shocked at how much gunk came out just from a soak. Adjusted all 3 brake systems on daily rider. The Worksman front drum was not even engaging. I seem to be big on building, not so much on maintenance. snicker.

But was wondering if there was a ready made product like mentioned above. Thanks GH.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.

Yesterday I removed and replaced the ignition wire and spark plug on both bikes. A trip to my local NAPA beforehand and I've now made two ignition wires (first time I've done that, pretty straightforward job) and installed them on the CDIs and replaced the plugs on both engines with B5HS's. Fortunately I rediscovered my plug wrench, since the replacements are 13/16", not the smaller China plug. Of course on one CDI the cable simply unscrewed and I was able to have it done in 20 minutes. The other CDI was assembled by the employee of the month with the boss watching, meaning the cable wouldn't come free of the CDI and I ended up having to dig out the crap around the screw after the wire came apart before it would come free. They must have used all of that day's adhesive on one unit. Both are working nicely and are both sealed with RTV silicon. The magneto covers on both are also now sealed (better to do the preventive work when the weather's nice) with RTV as well.

Today I'm back on to the general tinkering and torquing before going out for a cruise.

Hot Wheels

Jul 7, 2009
chicago

Got to do nutton with her today but say good bye on my way to work. Been raining for days here. Sadly, running out of summer too.

Hot Wheels, looking forward to your pics. I built my first Riverside a while back and man, she is a pretty MB. Cracks me up and love it when folks ask "what year is it?' Just has that classic MB look. I was real worried about the welds between the dropouts and the seat stays. (was slightly misaligned and really chintzy) but has held up fine. For what I paid for her, could/would gladly make some supports.

Sorry for the ramble. Just a big Riverside fan now.

.flg.
here's pictures of my riverside, runs great, looks great. usflg

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Awesome Hot Wheels! Don't get much purty-er then her. Did you do a build thread on her?
================================================

Didn't do a thing to my daily rider today. Checked the gas and that was about it. Every thing was right and tight. (for once, lol)

Took a long ride today. Beautiful fall weather up here now. Cruised around the capital and high-end areas of Hartford. Sundays are great for that.

.flg.

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan

Got the hockey pucks cut & drilled for motor mounts, smashed the latch off the supply cabinet to use as mounting hardware, got a muffler bracket to reinforce the precarious chain guide, rigged up the (temporary) brake lights/turn signal. Lotta sawing, drilling, filing, & wiring today. Final mount was delayed by tool/parts availability.

Also noticed the importance of clear coat today. Luckily I've got a bottle of Testor's flat black enamel that matches perfectly.

Spending a few days back home this week, picking up my old Free Spirit Greenbriar while I'm there....could turn into a new project...

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Yesterday, changed a flat. (Why does it always have to be the back on MBs with 2 chains?) So soaked the drive chain in chainsaw lube. I didn't clean it but should have. Was shocked at how much gunk came out just from a soak. Adjusted all 3 brake systems on daily rider. The Worksman front drum was not even engaging. I seem to be big on building, not so much on maintenance. snicker.

But was wondering if there was a ready made product like mentioned above. Thanks GH.
I do the same thing . The maintenance ditty lol.
Yeah its always the rear tire lol.laff As for ready made not sure what you meant? As I get my ultra thick heavy duty tubes by them selves. ''I never use a tire liner or freaky expensive tires''. Then I cram about 6 to 9 ounces Slime individually in each tire depending on size of tire. A 26x1.75 I will do about 6 to 7 ounces. Slime Tube Sealant, 8 Oz Reviews. Buying Guides & Consumer Product Reviews - Epinions.com in each tire and never touch it again.

Oh I may have to occasionally add some air. Yet with freaky every day constant riding mebbe tops once every two weeks. The stickers are ridiculous here and I don't go looking to ride around in them ether. I try to avoid them where I see big patches but that ain't going to always happen.

I Don't touch the valve core with a air chuck or to deflate unless its at 12 0clock noon. You'll never have a problem. Easy as pie to clean the valve core if you forget. I clean a valve core mebbe once every four years tops. ''12 0clock''

The pre slimed tubes are a waste of my time here. They have virtually no product in them even if its a thick tube. Whats more sad is the guy saying he tried to patch it. There is nothing funnier than a paper thin tube to me. Their like kiddie party balloons weee lol. ^5

No patch kits in my future :D

Still riding my bald tire with absolutely no work done to it after my said impalements. I will not be doing a thing ''at all'' to it ether....

http://motorbicycling.com/f53/24-x3-0-true-heavy-duty-27659.html

I actually went over to two bikes shops yesterday for you guys. I got to see tubes and there likeness first hand for what I listed. Gonna take notes from now on and check shops to list everything that is available on line for anybody. Because considering all my good fortune It really does trouble me a bit to see folks getting flats. :(

The rain here brought on more insects. I had good sun glasses on today and got a gnat in my left eye. Could not get it out right away. So I gave it my Clint Eastwood scowl look and kept going. The wind and the tears washed it out. :D

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Still cleaning up my wife's bike. Polishing chrome,polishing chrome,polishing chrome, and polishing chrome. Where the #@$% did all this chrome come from? I swear this bike is growing more chrome parts for me to polish.

I do like her bike, really. But I gotta stop finding chrome that I missed before. And I'm still painting the (formerly chrome) fenders, not changin' my mind about that. No matter what the bike wants.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

GREAT tips for the tires, GH !
Have had no prob yet, but I know it's on the way.

Been under the WX lately, and had link probs w the wifi... $'s would resolve everything... such is life.

Some kind of armageddon type thing going on over the pacifc lol just had to take a pic of it. pretty impressive, IMO.

Gathered up a pitched taco rim and a few minutes work will get me well on the way to a stout 12g wheel built from parts!

I must speak with the local bike shops about recycling what they choose to pitch !
rc

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/what-did-you-do-your-motor-24753-222.html#post325014
"I actually went over to two bikes shops yesterday for you guys."
Your a good guy Goat. Great example of what our host had in mind when he opened here. Having a great time doing the mod/public servant/self propelled anti-spam device thing. Just a great bunch of folks. Most are crazy but good people and fun folk.

"No matter what the bike wants."
Har, lol Allen. Know what ya mean.

Getting closer to having all the tools needed for the brandy new mill/lathe! So been designing. Is amazing what ya can do with one of these. Looking for an actual shop to rent or buy. I should build one in the yard but Carol has been telling me; "No offence but the yard is starting to look a wee bit trashy" or some thing trash. lol)

First project is a bushing. Then a 4 smoke transmission. Then a MB pulse yet engine. Is just so cool to have the toys to make any of those. Just gotta learn how to do it, snork.

To pay for all this, I might have to try and make stuff non MB related. I just don't want it to become a job or biz. Or get a 3rd job. But I have tried the JOB thing. Can't say I am a fan of it. (Sorry about the language)

.wee.

Man, hiker did a great job making these smilies. Another one of the great examples of our happy lil community.

Give your selves a round of applause! LOL, then enplane to your spouse why your sitting in front of your computer clapping.

laff

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Swapped out my rear 24x3.0 tire today. I was feeling spooked by it this thing was wore very thin and the remaining side tread actually looked like it was gonna crack plumb off. Went over my millage records Actually about 2500 miles was on the tire so not too bad!

A great big large balloon tire lol. I looked for a long time to find that tire and then forever more to score the tube. I do like the look and stance it gives the bike. Yet this tire really is not that durable to me.

This was from when I very first got the bike I have things dressed up on the bars much sweeter now. It shows that rear tire stands like a 26''. Gonna get my camera situation figured out tomorrow for sure ''BEEN WAY TOO LONG'' and up date my thread, post a pict of the wore out tire and cracking tread. The Bike two 001.AVI - YouTube

I think I want a slightly smaller tire now. I just can't seam to find what I am looking for I want a cross between off road and pavement in something way more durable. 24x2.75 is Ideal. ''For the tube I found and came to love''. This tube came in a shoe box! It was thicker than anything I have seen. No way it was 3mm thick had to be twice that. Dunno how manufactures are coming up with these specs? IRC MOTORCYCLE TUBES Would freak-en love to score a real motorcycle tire in this mark! Anyone got suggestions? Could use some links mebbe:confused:

None the less I have three more of these tires on hand I'll need to use up.

I examined the tire and tube after I took it off the rim. I found chafing on the sides of the tube from the way the balloon tire rolls. Was a little disappointed. Plus this was a experimental tire and tube combo for me. The tube a queer size and the largest tire I have ever ran.

I also found one Pyracantha thorn. Nasty looking thing and one 1/4'' piece of shard wire. like the wires in car tires that expose when about to blow out. Got know idea how I picked that up?

This tire /tube never ever went flat on me. I had about 12 ounces of the Vulcan blood in it lol and 10 in the front tire now that I think about it. The price of mebbe three gallons of fuel at the most got me this far without a hitch.

I cleaned up the tube dragging my hands around it and a rag. Put 3 more ounces in it needed an IV it lost some. ''All I had left'' Put it in the new tire and its a standing fine full of air rock hard and about 10 miles on it now!

Also it was not green anywhere inside the tire. Seriously! There was one small wet spot from the irritating thorn that looked black in color.. Prolly only gonna use it for a couple more months dunno? But if its working! I will simply keep using it. The test is simple no leaky I leave it alone. Its the chafing from the balloon tire on the sides of the tube that made me pounder the most..

I love thick tubes! brnot

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Ah!!!!!! I just saw this TUBE 2.75/3.00X23 IRC think I will order it tonight!! I know mebbe I am just rambling again lol. Mebbe they come radio active now!!? Seeing the power plant accident and all ;):D

Problem is motorcycles measure by the rim and bicycles go by the tire... I had to stretch my last tube just a tad to get it on the rim. Pretty sure this one is it..

Not Kidding these tubes come in a shoe size box! They will not fit in any thing smaller.

I should have gotten this onelaff

ddesens

Jun 27, 2011
New Port Richey, FL.

Yesterday, I had to re-adjust my rear sprocket/rag joint setup. The chain popped off twice in 12 hours. I'm beginning to really dislike the rag joint. Its nearly impossible to get this thing perfectly straight. My 1st bike I put over 200 miles on it before I had to tighten any bolts on it. The rubber discs are not cut with even thickness. One is more wedge like than the other. I had an extra kit so I tried to match up the 2 best rubber discs.

madcroc

Aug 24, 2011
california

Yesterday, I had to re-adjust my rear sprocket/rag joint setup. The chain popped off twice in 12 hours. I'm beginning to really dislike the rag joint. Its nearly impossible to get this thing perfectly straight. My 1st bike I put over 200 miles on it before I had to tighten any bolts on it. The rubber discs are not cut with even thickness. One is more wedge like than the other. I had an extra kit so I tried to match up the 2 best rubber discs.
The rag joints really do suck. Are you using some sort of reference when truing your sprocket? I.E. suspend the back wheel so it can spin freely (if you don't have a truing stand) and secure the wheel without the chain on. What I do is duct tape a piece of zip tie to the frame just touching the sprocket and then spin the wheel. Wherever the sprocket rubs the zip tie the most I tighten the surrounding bolts just a touch and then I move the zip tie a bit closer, until I'm satisfied. I use the the same method to true my wheels, except with a zip tie on both sides of the rim.

edit: noticed you're a senior member so you probably know how to true a sprocket already but if it helps one person that's good enough for me!

Anyway, today I replaced my first broken spoke! Repacked my wheel bearings while I was at it. Put probably a 100 miles on this engine and when I took it for a spin tonight it was running smooth like buttuh...needless to say it was extremely f@#king satisfying :D. It's bogging on the low end a bit but I haven't touched the carb at all, going to wait a couple hundred miles before tweaking it.

This project has been a crash course in bicycle maintenance and that's what has me most excited. Gone into this looking for a surf check mobile and came out with some good knowledge. I can true a wheel like it's nothing!

brnot

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

I filled the gas tank for my two-stroke at the Chevron station. Instead of carrying reserve fuel in my aluminum bottle, I always pour two ounces of oil into it. When I pull into the gas station, I close the petcock, pour the oil into the tank and pump in .75 gallon of 87 octane. Then I pedal in the grass for a block. That mixes the fuel; then I stop, open the petcock and start the engine. The engine's sparkplug looks ok, so the mixture must be all right.

Nowadays, all I do is fill gas, check air, clean the bike and tighten loose bolts.

In the rebuilding process is a recently-purchased, Mitsubishi-powered Trek w/ Staton drive and NuVinci hub. This MB had been sitting/neglected for three years. Surprisingly, it started right up with a fresh tank of gas.drn2

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Why not put a little gas in the oil bottle, mix that up, then dump in the tank and continue filling? I prefer to mix my gas at home and fill before leaving, but I have used this method with success.