nitrous.. really?

GoldenMotor.com

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
So I was checking out ebay for gear and found this..

really? Nitrous? Anybody using this or is it a complete waste and all hype? I am intrigued but at the same time skeptical and hesitant to subject one of these motors to the possibility of making it a bomb. (looking at that sentence and my bike as a whole, that might be redundant..)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
As an oxidizer, it'll assist the burn of almost any combustible fuel. However, unless you have a blueprinted motor designed for it you'll pop it soon enough ;)

NOS = disposable engine

I've not messed w/these lil boost kits and prolly wont, but I've heard that their regulation (amount and duration) is sloppy as ****. If I were to do such a thing to my poor bike for a weekend of fun - I'd valve it better.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
GEEZE!
No, the nitrous is for suckers who will buy anything they are told will boost performance. Just like the boost bottle.
I'll use my flea market voice...."Put it down, walk away."

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
yeah. all this feedback is exactly what I was thinking.. I'm looking into the tuned pipe option as well as SpookyTooth's CNS Carb.. Anyone try one of those or have feedback? Also waiting for the slant head replacement for my 66cc to come back in stock..

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
I've used the "Nitrous" kit on one of my builds. I used it a novely item although it funtioned as designed. I never shot the full 16g bottle all at once but in short spurts you could feel the increase in power. The rpm's increased greatly. No....the motor never blew up!! It is still on the road today....

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Geeze Red, you've made my statement a little awkward now. :)
laff I honestly figured the same thing Joe...that a shot of nitrous would bust one of these quick!!!

RedB's post makes me want to put one of my scrap engines in a bike and see if I can spit the crank out on the ground...laff.

As he pointed out though, he was careful to meter it. I'd say it's definitely not one of those "suggested" performance upgrades. Without some knowledge of the stuff, you will ruin an engine.

Jim

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
The NOS works! if you think it doesnt your livin in a bubble, the biggest misconception with Nitrous is that people think you just plum it in and off ya go WRONG you will grenage it. N2O as its got oxygen in it so you will have to use extra fuel.
Nitrous is the biggest and cheapest power boost you can give a motor. Any motor!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I don't think anyone here said it doesn't work, it's just that it doesn't work real well with crappy chinese two strokes half of which already have issues with the wrist pin or crank.
Yes, NOS works great if set up correctly on a semi-reliable (well built) engine.

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
I dont understand your setup Red.Ithought your nos jet was placed between the carb and the intake,I did not know you could inject it into the air cleaner.H.D.

Big.Dude.666

Jul 17, 2009
CA
Red has it set up the safe way. they make manifolds but u really have to be careful and not over rev the engine.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
if you really want to do a nitrous install, yes in the filter is best. It makes sure the juice atomizes and mixes up more evenly (therefore you dont get a big wet load in your engines mouth.)