Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
howabout a link to the one you bought deacon and maybe they have more. i would like to get a back up one. one to keep with my motorized bicycle and one for the tool chest. thanks (^)

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I found this on my 70cc Dax engine. Which has needle bearing on both ends of the rod.
The base gasket on the cylinder is 0.070 (2) 0.035 gaskets I removed them and replaced it with a 0.055 thick gasket and it helped the performance now it runs better. I went a little too far and used a 0.032 gasket and found that the piston will tap the machined lip on the head at higher rpms. I ground off the lip about 0.020 all around the head sealing lip and that took care of the tapping and I went to the 0.055 base gasket just to play it safe.
I was surprised to find that even with the needle bearings on the wrist pin the piston can wobble or rock in the same direction or parallel to the wrist pin just like the bushed one can which its not supposed to do anyway on other engines its not supposed to. So there you go. I might try the 0.032 base gasket again but for now it runs a heck of a lot better.
Norman

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
okay here is one born from necessity. When i dropped the size of the rear wheel the kickstand was too long. The one i put on to fit fell off during ride to the park so i was left trying to make one work. I found one that was too long so I chopped it off with a hacksaw. then it was just a hair short. I didn't want to saw another one so I attached a bolt to the bottom of it with a couple of pipe clamps like those used on radiator hose. It works fine so far. As often as I change rear wheels I figured it was as good an idea as any. ugly but workable

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
One more emergency tip. while i was riding a few days ago my homemade throttle screwed up. the whole throttle moved making it impossible to control the speed. Instead of pulling the cable inside the cover it was pulling cover and all. I had a roll of electrical tape with me so I taped the cover down and it worked fine. I could also have unhooked the cable from the throttle. Then taped down the cable cover and used the cable end to pull the throttle up and down. When I repaired the throttle mechanism, I just left the cable taped down so that I could make sure it didn't happen again.

Frankenbike rides again.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Re: Exhaust leaking black oily gook

Fel Pro part # 70149 Egr valve gasket for Ford, $2.50
I found that it holds up better then regular gasket maker.

Attachments

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I can never keep much grease on my clutch gears. I know the main problem is most automotive greases don't have much tackifier in them. Especially racing greases like I've using! :p So, what am going to do is get some tackifier for my Amsoil racing grease OR use some aluminum boat type grease....less flingage of grease to get on clutch and better lubing of gears.

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Re: take a tip...leave a tip GRIP REMOVAL

I was reading Seattle Mike's thread with stinky gas 'n grip and it hit me I hadn't posted this tip that works great for me:

To remove stuck handle bar grips, use compressed air and a THIN silicone spray lube with a straw nozzle. I have a long pointy snout air pizzer. (Required)

First blast some air in, lift the grip on the interior side and let some air rip. Then spray some silicone lube in the same spot. Repeat both of these as you work the grip off.

Wash the grip and wipe the bar before reinstall.

Don't use a petroleum based lube or you'll have a smelly mess.

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I can never keep much grease on my clutch gears. I know the main problem is most automotive greases don't have much tackifier in them. Especially racing greases like I've using! :p So, what am going to do is get some tackifier for my Amsoil racing grease OR use some aluminum boat type grease....less flingage of grease to get on clutch and better lubing of gears.

I have two types of grease tackifier on the way. I'm tired of my grease glob not staying on the gears.

Has anyone tried boat trailer axle grease?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
a little soapy water will get the grips off as well and no stink. My favorite grip is the cheap foam grips cuts out the vibs. I worked as an oiler years ago and we had a special black nasty grease to put on the gear that swung the cranes house on it didn't come off the gears and didn't come off of me if I got the stuff on me but i don't know the name of it. I have been using a dab of red grease #2 I think heck i can't remember and too lazy to take the grease gun apart. here is a tip for your grease gun keep your old blue jeans pant leg for the guns holster cut off the leg and store the gun in the pant leg keeps the gun clean and you can either throw the leg away or wash it to reuse when it gets nasty.
Norman

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I have two types of grease tackifier on the way. I'm tired of my grease glob not staying on the gears.

Has anyone tried boat trailer axle grease?
I have not used boat trailer grease. But I do use Mystik JT-G, they dont call it mystik for nothing. In fact I use so much I buy it by the bucket. I have had great luck with it.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
That's a bucket of grease alright!!(^)

I got my tackifier - man it's great. Good combination. Just a TINY amount mix it like crazy - good grease made super sticky!:D

It's time for a new bucket to. But I would like to know more about your grease tackifier, it's new to me. Is it some kind of resin? Can you use it with synthetic grease? Is it only for grease or will it work with other applications?

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
It's a liquid - very "stringy" - some synthetic polymer, maybe similar to a liquid resin. The problem is that it is not a lubricant itself, so it must be used sparingly - like less that 1%. That's why I got it (a buddy in the industry) - and exactly why I got it was to mix with high speed synthetic grease (which is made for closed bearings in wheels and such). It worked MUCH better in the clutch case.
Here's a small batch mixed:

Jman

Apr 13, 2008
newcastle .Australia
I also done this acc cable mod. works sweet. I also run a shimano grip shift for the clutch to get rid of
the left side clutch lever and let me run left,right,front rear, breaks( dont like the dual pull items not enough control for me)