Is there a Canadian version of this site?

GoldenMotor.com

HarleyXLH666

Feb 26, 2013
Niagara Falls
OK so I dont know what I did but I got the chain back on WITH that spring tensioner I had made. The tensioner I moved forward which seems to have made the chain a bit tighter but the spring will take care of any issues (I hope). The bike is still jamming up somewhere when trying to start it but this time I managed to make it hold and got a few pictures. Some of the things I can see are:

Picture 1-In the 1st picture the chain seems to be rubbing against the screw eating away at some of the weld. But it's just that -> RUBBING. I can't see that causing a jam as the chain would just grind away at the screw head.

Picture 2-The metal bar when trying to start up would hit the frame. The red circle shows where it was hitting before the chain broke and the blue circle is where it is hitting now after getting the chain back on and moving the tensioner assembly forward. So a common factor here is the bar is hitting the frame regardless of where I put the tensioner

Picture 3- This shows it in the locked up/jammed position. I bet that if I was able to coordinate the lockup with applying the brakes with perfect timing I would have been able to get a picture of the metal bar holding in the position where the bar touches there frame but I wanst gonna mess around trying to get the perfect picture of it. The only way to unlock this is to roll the bike in reverse.

Picture 4-This shows the assembly in parked/idle position as it is sitting right now ready for the next time I try to start it up.

From the picture on the red bike (which is what I sent to the metal fab shop for a price quote) which is from the 2nd last post in the link from post 15 in this thread the 3 holes on his tensioner seem to be closer to the spring hole than compared to mine.

I wonder if the horizontal bar on mine is just a bit too long?? Wondering if I were to cut a bit off it and drill a new hole and move the roller wheel back after about a 1/2in to an inch if that might clear the hitting problem. Does anyone have any input on on the idea of cutting maybe an inch off the horizontal bar and moving the wheel back an inch or so?

Attachments

Last edited:

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
As a Canadian I feel obligated to call you on your misbehavior. Several people have posted suggestions and goodwill yet you have not even acknowledged their efforts. If you hope to get any further help I would advise you to avoid thinking only of yourself. I don't want folks to think we are uncivilized up here.

Now that was a good old fashioned reprimand Canadian style.... I feel better now.

HarleyXLH666

Feb 26, 2013
Niagara Falls
How about instead of being a dick about it I kept quiet and didn't say anything at all? Acknowledgment? The first post you made about my spokes was after I said I had already fixed the spoke and I was back working on the chain. The chain is the main thing. The spoke was a side issue.

Speeddemon has a decent price on a chain but the shipping cost is more than the cost of the chain itself and for the cost of their shipping I could catch a bus and take the 2 hour ride to Hamilton and back and have one the same day instead of waiting a week for shipping. Problem is I don't have that $ right now and in fact I don't even have enough for the chain itself now that I had that tensioner built. Not everyone is loaded with extra money.

On the 2nd link you sent the problem is not with my axl moving forward as I tighten the axl nut down with my shoe. The axl does not go anywhere. The problem is with the stock chain stretching.

Why would I get into a big discussion about something that is no longer valid?

Chain has too much slack -> get tensioner made -> Slack no longer an issue

Tensioner snaps chain -> Confused -> have a few smokes -> relook & start to find issues-> get things put back together -> Chain fixed -> snapped chain no longer an issue -> move on -> issue now is jamming tensioner.

I don't sit hovering at my computer all day. I only sign a few times a day. Yes I skim the posts of replies that has been mentioned but if its something that has already been fixed is there any reason to get into a big discussion about it? No I move on to the next problem.

Thank you to all the people that have replied to my questions.

There acknowledged.

Yes I was pissed off when I first came on but I think anyone would be pissed after flying over their handlebars and having the bike land on them due to a stretched chain. Not to mention this happened about 100 feet behind a parked Niagara Regional Police cruiser car. $5000 possible fine if you get caught with these here. Wonder if he didn't see it or if he did see it and just didn't bother doing anything because I stood up right away and he figured I was OK but didn't wan't to make my day any more ****ty than it already was?? This is my 3rd bike and I have never flipped over the bars before or had these kinds of problems on any of the others.

Now that I have things back together, I come on here and make a calm post trying to explain everything with pictures and all now that I am starting to get things figured out and try to have a reasonable discussion after things are pieced back together before I go and try to start it again and snap the chain again from the tensioner jamming up again or flip over the bars again or some stupid ****.

And its just NOW you call me out for misbehaviour after my calm and collected post??? LOL wow its almost like you are trying to provoke just cause you know how easy it is to get me pissed or something. I'm not even thinking about myself. I'm thinking of solutions to a problem with this stupid bike.

Now....How is this for misbehavior... **** this forum. Mod/admins please delete my profile/name on here (NOT temporarily suspend but fully delete it permanently) as I have no use for this place anymore. There now I feel better too :) and will feel even better when I try to log in when morning comes and get a message saying my username and password is invalid/disabled.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Hey man just wanted to say once again that its good to hear you got that chain issue sorted out, this is a great forum with loads of great helpful and respectful people, I say just hang in there fellow motor biker.

Keep the rubber side down whatever you do.
Peace, map

Jeckler

Jun 4, 2013
Mesa, AZ
What is the condition of chain around the drive sprocket when the tensioner extends out like that (pic 3)? Is that rolling the bike forward? It almost sounds like the sprocket teeth are too tall and squared off, causing the chain to hang.
Or there's too much drama going on and I missed something.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
(Assuming the OP comes back...)

Hmm...
The tensioner design you're using could probably user a shorter, stronger spring. The should reduce the problems with the arm making contact with the chainstay. If that's not an option right now, moving the anchor point for the spring you are using forward might do it, to get more tension on the spring. Looks like you have a little room there to work with. Instead of using a zip-tie, a hose clamp would be a more solid connection point for the spring to the frame, and it won't travel or stretch out like a zip-tie.
To keep the arm from swinging all the way down and contacting the chainstay maybe you could drill a small hole in the upright bracket, and put a small bolt through it to create a stop for the arm to make contact with first. Put it through from the inside (so the head of the bolt is on the wheel side), run a nut or two up to the bracket from the outside nice and snug to hold it. The remaining length of the bolt ought to stop the arm's downward swing.

sboricic123

Apr 15, 2013
Bailieboro, Ontario
So after all this BS, a couple cigarettes and a closer look at the spoke something FIIIINNNNAAALLLLYYYY worked out in my favor. The spoke turned out not to be broken. It just snapped the nipple. Took one off another rim that did not fit because it has more gear sprockets than this one, switched out the nipple and its fixed. Now if only the chain could be this easy.
Have you checked out http://www.motorizedbicycle.ca/miscellaneous-parts.html
They ship from Stoney Creek, Ont. I purchased a few small parts from them already. Or try http://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/

Ohh....and I'm from Ontario too, eh! I live near Peterborough.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
the further ahead you move the tensioner assembly the higher the chain will run,clearing the weld and eliminating the rubbing noise.if you add a few links and move tensioner back,you will get the same result.but the chain will behave differently at rear compared to closer to engine.also,trying the pivot in the other holes to increase tension/travel will improve your odds.

there are several variables in tensioning your chain,try them til you get something that works.also,keep chain lubed,one stiff link could cause jamming in the engine sprocket housing.my tires keep tossing stones into my chain,jamming and so forth.broke a crankcase over this.

disappointed? yes. giving up? No.
like riding? Definetly.
i could never call this dependable,as a 12 km ride is never a problem,unless i ride it to
work.then someting always happens.

princess auto,napa and auto value all carry the chain,probably box of ten feet,enough for a couple chains.
remember to ask for a couple 1/2 links,will get you closer to your goal.

im running a used chain from a garage door opener....yes,it fits.stanley if i recall.

Last edited:

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Oh this thread made me lol. It's funny to see others crack while motorizing a bike cause I did it too. Just move forward dude, when you finally get that thing running and see how fun it is your gonna forget all about these stupid little problems.