motorized bicycles vs EMP

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Re: MB vs EMP

Won't work, Andrew. Your ignition system is based on solid state electronics. If the bomb goes off your bike won't run anymore.

About the only thing I know of that will still work is my hot rod. The ignition is 60s vintage points and condenser. Not a solid state circuit in the car except for the digital instruments. I could still drive it even without a speedometer. :)

Tom

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas

We might not survive a EMP, but other forms of disaster would be a different story.

A few years ago a hurricane threatened Houston. They decided to evacuate the city. So about a million cars all hit I45 heading North toward Dallas, all at the same time. I had a friend that was one of them. He had a full tank of gas. It should have been enough to make it all the way. It didn't work out that way.

Only the first car out of town had a chance. What happened was about 50 miles outside of town, someone decided to stop at a gas station on the highway to fill up just in case. Then the next car decided maybe they should get some gas too. Next thing you know, there was a line of cars stretching all the way back to Houston. Traffic on the highway came to a stand still from all the cars waiting in line. My friend was stuck in the line of traffic idleing on the highway using up all his gas. Within an hour all the gas stations for a 100 miles were out of gas, and so was everybody else. It took my friend over 13 hours to drive 350 miles.

unknownbmxa88

Mar 15, 2013
montana

simple solution.. if you really want to ride your MB after a EMP.
find an old microwave at a garage sale, thrift store etc.
buy a replacement plug ignition coil, everything electrical on the bike you are worried about.
put it in the old micro wave and store it for the day were hit by an emp.

i do believe that tin foil would also work, but from what i hear the mircowave is made to contain simular radiation to that of an emp.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

I am with Andrew on this. A MB is still a must have, bug out device.

As we all know the most likely cause of a nuclear explosion, will of course be a containment and attempt to stop the zombie apocalypse. So there will be a short time and window of escape. In that and like BN said, the roads are just gonna clog and traffic will come to a stop.

So at the first signs of zombies, I will be bravely riding away .wee.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw

easier to swing a machete on a bicycle on either side than in a car as well :p Road warrior FTW

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

another lesser known fact, a tinfoil helmet acts like an antenna. instead of shielding out the unwanted RF, EMF, cosmic rays, ether, the matrix, voices, walt disney's ghost, or whatever it is you're trying to hide from, you're actually amplifying the signal, straight into your brain.

build yourself a faraday cage, instead... :)

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

Well, this thread has answered I question I had but never asked. lol

Time to start acquiring ignition parts for my 76 Dodge. lol

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw

another lesser known fact, a tinfoil helmet acts like an antenna. instead of shielding out the unwanted RF, EMF, cosmic rays, ether, the matrix, voices, walt disney's ghost, or whatever it is you're trying to hide from, you're actually amplifying the signal, straight into your brain.

build yourself a faraday cage, instead... :)
depends on the design really, people used to shoplift quite effectively from walmart and other stores with RF detectors by lining a bag with tinfoil. It has a specific name, and is listed in the "A" cook book (it's illegal to have), but just a random tin foil hat generally follows a parabolic shape and will focus right dead center in your brain.

Of course when it comes to an EMP discharge tin foil would be less than useful, I imagine if you're close enough to one it would have an effect very similar to tinfoil in the microwave (which is pretty spectacular, but... not recommended)

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

MIT did a study on the effectiveness of the tinfoil helmet. http://web.archive.org/web/20100708230258/http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/

here's a quote:...Among a fringe community of paranoids, aluminum helmets serve as the protective measure of choice against invasive radio signals. We investigate the efficacy of three aluminum helmet designs on a sample group of four individuals. Using a $250,000 network analyser, we find that although on average all helmets attenuate invasive radio frequencies in either directions (either emanating from an outside source, or emanating from the cranium of the subject), certain frequencies are in fact greatly amplified. These amplified frequencies coincide with radio bands reserved for government use according to the Federal Communication Commission (FCC). Statistical evidence suggests the use of helmets may in fact enhance the government's invasive abilities. We speculate that the government may in fact have started the helmet craze for this reason...

i still say the best zombie apocalypse vehicle is a Brinks armored truck. but tom's right. unless you convert it to points ignition, you'd have to build a farady garage to keep it in.

but if i'm not mistaken, after the EMP, you should be able to start your car up again, right? the pulse shouldn't leave any lasting effects (on your car anyway) just knock it out for the moment.

i also remember seeing an experimental RC car the cops could use to drive under your real car during a chase that would zap all your electronics, too...

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

A diesel truck with mechanical everything would be your best bet as an EMP would fry (literally fry) any electronics in the vehicle. You would not be able to restart a modern passenger car. Unfortunately, my Ram would perish because of it. :(

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

I think the zombies would be more attracted to the sound than the smoke. But there are so many different variations of zombies it's unreal. lol