does anyone keep there bike in the house?

GoldenMotor.com

shwnrttr

Dec 2, 2009
titusville, florida
im about to start a new 4stroke build, my bmx bike was recently stolen from my garage.so i didnt want to take the risk of keeping my MB out there.anybody have any thoughts on keeping MB in the house. do you think the smell of gas would be too strong?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The smell of gas would be fairly strong, but I wouldnt think dangerously so. I chain my bike in front of my house with a heavy chain and case-hardened padlock.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i had the same thing happen with a gas bike. no way wife would let me keep gas in house. that is why i went electric. i keep it in the extra bedroom lol

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
That's where mine stays! I run Opti-2 oil, and never really noticed much in gas fumes. Unless I'm refueling, or spill some. And it helps to be single.

Peace, James

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Go with electric power or build a gas powered bike with a quickly removeable fuel tank that can be left outside. One guy rigged his fuel line to thread onto a soda bottle. The soda bottle is used as a fuel tank and fits in a normal bicycle bottle holder.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
a marine fuel line disconnect would be the ticket for removing fuel tank as it cuts off fuel from both ends.can get them with pipe thread,then all you need is the right size hose barbs.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I had two of them in my upstairs one bedroom apartment! There was a gas station a block away, so I generally kept the tanks- and they are the the smaller MB tanks- on the low side- If you close the valves down and they aren't full otherwise, there is usually not much of a smell-

they're in a back bedroom where I live now- I may eventually put at least one out in the garage with the scooter, but I can tinker with them back there, and it is sooo much better to just wheel them out the door and not have to push them up and down a flight of stairs!

I still never keep them more than about 3/4 tank- both have two gas shutoff valves- and I keep a gallon to refil out in the garage. If I ever smell them much- I think I'm running too much 2 cycle oil, and I vent the room

Last edited:

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
i would never bring gas into the house.mind you,i have places other than my house,and i live in the sticks,so theft isnt a great concern.
that and video surveillance....

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool thing about having your MB inside is during relaxed moments, with your mind wondering, ya come up with some great ideas. Yrs back, I put an old Haro bike down the cellar for some thing or other but it was where I sat and snuck cigarettes over a long, cold winter. Just relaxed and staring at the thing, came up with some pretty cool stuff.

I couldn't keep a MB in the house but really want to build a non-fueled one and keep it inside like an art exhibit or decoration. Might sound nutz but I really think a China-girl on an old fashioned, black beach cruiser is a beautiful thing to behold.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Man, that is a beautiful bike and begging for a China-girl D_Gizzle. The very first time I saw a picture of a kit, that was the kind of bike I could see in my mind. Had an old Schwinn as a kid. Was just a time machine back to 8 yrs old and wanting to put a motor on her.

How can we leave these girls out side!? Oughta' be a law, I tell ya! lol

(if ya have a torn down small engine on a table in your house, ya might be a MBer)

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
I know dan,I just can't give up my HS. Maybe when I build my shift bike ill convert the Delmar.....but that one is coming inside too!