Clever Bike Names

GoldenMotor.com

jolfstn

Oct 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
I'm renaming mine, was the Greenline Super Rat, but my engine is not a super rat, and the company manufacturing my bicycle doesn't need me advertising for them. I hereby re-christen the Riquimbili Dervish Model 1. (sound of champagne bottle shattering, scratching my paint and puncturing my tires)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Boy, I heard some more clever bike names today. I was waiting at the bus stop downtown when a delivery guy on a fixie flew by. He went to hop up onto the sidewalk to pull into a section between buildings and, when he came down, his pedal snapped right off his crank. And he lurched forward such that his crotch landed on the top tube.
As soon as he could speak, I heard more clever bike names in one day than I may have heard ever since I first started riding!

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
So his crank broke and broke his crank?
OUCH!!!
It made me wince too, I can tell ya'. It had him doubled over for a bit. But he was in fighting form in a few seconds. You could almost see smoke comin' out of the top of his helmet. I get the impression he still had a ways to go to get to the drop-off point.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Boy, I heard some more clever bike names today. I was waiting at the bus stop downtown when a delivery guy on a fixie flew by. He went to hop up onto the sidewalk to pull into a section between buildings and, when he came down, his pedal snapped right off his crank. And he lurched forward such that his crotch landed on the top tube.
As soon as he could speak, I heard more clever bike names in one day than I may have heard ever since I first started riding!
are you positive what you heard was creative names or a variant called " creative cussing "? usually the 2 are often blended in a smooth flow of expletives . my bro is a zen master at this form .

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have been calling my bike Lucky 13. Its a pun, because last year I had a lot of bad luck with parts and the bike stayed off the road for quite awhile last year. My first bike I called The Beast. I thought of another name for my current bike, but cant remember it.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Dragray that's a cool looking bike! Don't think I've seen one like it...that bananna seat bike brings back childhood memories for sure!

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
He didn't have one of those BMX pads on the top tube, that they use for parking the bikes on stop signs and such?
Nope. He surely did not. If I see him again, I may suggest them to him. Those delivery riders really strip down their bikes. though. I don't think he even had grips on the handlebars, come to think of it, let alone chainguard, fenders, lights, or anything else. Most of 'em got just seat, unadorned handlebars, frame, pair o' wheels, and MAYBE a couple reflectors. And I've seen 'em leave their chain on their favorite lamp post when they're out on a run. They travel light as they can.
But being that a top-tube crotch pad won't weigh much, this fellow may express an interest.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Republic bikes has them for $15 or less. A google search will bring them up too (esp BMX top tube pad, there are different sizes and colors).

Some folks even like to make their own out of old shirts and plumbing insulation. If your bike is really pared down you can even just put the insulation on there by itself.

waistofhumanspace

Jan 8, 2011
michigan
Preliminary Research
Before you name your bike, you need to engage in some serious introspection. Ask yourself these questions:
1.Am I willing to accept the responsibility that comes with naming a bike? If you name a bike, you’re essentially saying it is no longer an inanimate tool. Now it’s a child, a friend, or at least a household pet. If you’re just going to ride it for a season or two, don’t name your bike. Your casual infidelity toward your bike will not go unnoticed by your bicycle, and it will tell other bicycles. Word will get around.
2.Why do I want to name my bike? Are you saying something about your riding ability (or lack thereof)? Are you making a joke, or (much worse) a pun? Are you being intentionally whimsical? If you can answer “Yes” to any one of these questions, maybe you shouldn’t name your bike. Instead, maybe you should just wear a funny hat or other attention-getting device.
3.Can I remember the name I have selected for my bike? If you can’t, maybe you should think of a different name.

Name-Choosing Techniques
Once you have carefully performed your preliminary bike-naming research, you can use the following techniques to select a name:
•Name your book after a favorite movie, book, or song: People understand pop culture references, as long as they’re no more than mildly obscure. If you use too obscure of a reference as a name for your bike, it makes you look like an elitist snot. Also, you’ll get sick of explaining the reference, no matter how gratifying it is to make it clear you know something others don’t. (Note: Movies are an especially useful vein for bike naming, because they allow you to name future bikes as if they were sequels, even if the movie had no sequels. I, for example, look forward to naming a bike Deer Hunter 2: This Time It’s Personal.)
•Name your bike after a famous person: If you’re going to anthropomorphize, you may as well go whole-hog and make your bike into a famous person. I recommend naming your bike Richard Nixon. When people ask why, look at them like that’s the silliest question you’ve ever heard, and then say, “Think about it.” If they come up with a good explanation, accept that as correct. This way, you never have to be the one to think of how your bike is like aforementioned celebrity.
•Name your bike after a color, prefaced by an adjective: “Big Blue.” “Angry Orange.” “Hateful Pink.” If you do this, you are required to use the actual color of the bike as the color in the name. Calling a green bike “Petulant Brown” is just asking for trouble. Unless you’re color blind, in which case it’s a pretty good joke.
•Name your bike after a weapon: The Howitzer. The Arrow. The Hammer. These are all good names. If you’re a girl, you get 13 extra sexiness points for naming your bike after a weapon. I don’t know why, but it’s true. Look it up.
•Name your bike after a beloved pet or a childhood (imaginary) friend: But only if you want to be ridiculed for the rest of your life.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Are you making a joke, or (much worse) a pun? Are you being intentionally whimsical? If you can answer “Yes” to any one of these questions, maybe you shouldn’t name your bike. Instead, maybe you should just wear a funny hat or other attention-getting device.

Sumo costumes
http://citybiketampa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/sumo-cycling-300x196.jpg
http://citybiketampa.com/tag/halloween-costume-ride/

Real Sumo on bike
http://good-energy.typepad.com/.a/6a00e553ef4d8088330133f4d61372970b-500wi
http://good-energy.typepad.com/greenenergyrepublic/2010/10/countdown-to-101010-7-days-to-go.html

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Well my first was named Pug due to being a Peaugot (spelling?) then there was the mongoose "Paver" that never got motorized yet was a favorite bike. I guess the people who name boats are silly too like the owners of the Titanic LOL