Oil in exhaust!?!!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

Blackrain2012

Aug 12, 2010
San Diego
so i was revving the engine and riding the bike around and when i parked it, i noticed that the whole end of the exhaust pipe was coated in brown oil!?!!! How do i stop this?

r00t4rd3d

Aug 2, 2010
Internet
You dont. Its normal for a 2 stroke. What are you mixing your gas at ? You can clean your chrome pipe up with a piece of steel wool just go easy and you wont harm the finish and it will remove the burnt on brown oil stains.

:)

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
What oil and what mix ratio are you using? Too much oil and you'll get excessive amounts of oil at the tailpipe, but as was said above, oil in the exhaust is normal for a 2 stroke engine. About the only exception is those weird guys, I'm one of them, that run the synthetics at very low oil to gas ratios. I'm at 100:1 and see very little oil residue from the exhaust. I'm not recommending you go that route but just food for thought. If you're still in the break in period don't go any higher in oil than 24:1 (disregard the instructions which might tell you 16:1) Better yet go to 32:1 and stay there.
As for cleaning your chrome muffler, I'd use Brake Clean as opposed to steel wool. It will cut through the brown stuff and not damage or scuff the chrome.
Tom

Last edited:

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
All of the above is very good advice.You might also want to try drilling a small weap hole on the bottom edge of your muffler where the exhaust tube exits.
Also when you have your muffler cap off clean it and the inside of your muffler good with brake clean dry the inside of your muffler and squirt a thin line of RTV along the inside edge of the muffler about 1/8" in along the rim.This will help the cap seal to the muffler.Kip.