New Suspension Fork on Micargi Cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

MelMartinez

Dealer in Mexico
May 24, 2009
Mexico
I´ve just installed a new suspension front fork on my Micargi Cruiser... and I don´t like the unstable handling.

I guess I´ll go back to the original front fork with no suspension, or I have to make a different set of suspension fork.

Also I´ve looking around in all bicycle stores in Mexico and I can´t find a disk brake, thus I had to use some plumbing feature and install a regular bike brake.

You may see this bike with the original front fork here:

http://motorbicycling.com/f14/greetings-mexico-8918.html

I´d appreciate any advice as how to improve handling and stability with a new front suspension fork.

See Your in the Road !!!

.trk

Attachments

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
In my opinion you have installed the wrong fork. The fork you used is what I would call a Lowrider Fork. You've added so much trail to the front end geometry its no wonder it handles poorly Look at the standard Schwinn Springer at the link provided and compare it to the one you have? Note the amount of bend in the main fork legs? http://www.schwinnbike.com/usa/eng/SchwinnFiles/ProductImages/2000_1300_1201_3651.jpg Also you need to either cutoff the excess steerer tube or add spacers to fill in the gaps between the headset lock nut and the spring anchor and between the spring anchor and the headset top race. But first and formost you need to get a standard Springer instead of the LowRider Springer.

ocscully

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mel,
ocscully is absolutely correct in everything he has told you. The stability will be compromised with that much trail in the front end. Also he's right again about cutting the steering tube to match the headset, That point needs to be snug. He has offered good advice. Replace that fork with a more traditional springer and I think you'll see a world of difference in handling and stability. Thank you, ocscully.

MelMartinez

Dealer in Mexico
May 24, 2009
Mexico
Thanks a lot Ocscully and 2door for the advice;

I new it there was something wrong with this fork, because of the poor handling.

I´d like to know if the Brainfork may be a good choice for my cruiser?

brainfork

Thanks again and best regards.

See You in the Road !!!

MelMartinez

Dealer in Mexico
May 24, 2009
Mexico
Something else: this suspension Low Rider fork is the only one I have available in Mexico.

I wish I had more options to choose a better fork.

If I want something better I have to make it myself.

Thanks.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I just found a old mountain bike with front suspension and stripped the forks off of it. Just be sure it will use the same size bearings. I had to cut the steerer tube 3/8".

pic 1: before

pic 2: after

Attachments

MelMartinez

Dealer in Mexico
May 24, 2009
Mexico
Thanks Fairracing31 and Azbill for the help.

Hey Fair, is there a website I can see with instruction on how to modify the front fork just as you show with the two pictures above?

I´d really appreciate some help for cutting and welding above suspension fork.

See You in the Road !!!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hey Fair, is there a website I can see with instruction on how to modify the front fork just as you show with the two pictures above?
I do not know of a website. I always do these projects and forget to take pics and document as I go.

I will search for some pics hopefully I took some but do not get your hopes up. If not I will try to describe the process as well as I can. Remember this is what I had to do with what I used, some forks may not need any modification.

I will get back to you.

MelMartinez

Dealer in Mexico
May 24, 2009
Mexico
Thanks for the link. Now I have homework to do:

First modify and change the front fork and then add a disk brake.

I need a three days weekend !!!

See You in the Road !!!

MelMartinez

Dealer in Mexico
May 24, 2009
Mexico
I did today a testing ride with the LowRider Forks on dirt road, and it really makes a big difference on smooth riding.

The front suspension makes the ride easier, nice and more comfortable, even with the poor handling. It feels like if you´re riding on the edge or on a string.

Now with the engine broken in it rides at more than 30 mph. It really catches the attention of everyone around.

See You in the Road !!!