A few questions

GoldenMotor.com

darose111

Mar 25, 2009
Fayetteville
Well, it looks like NC law states that I don't need license, insurance or registration on a motorized bicycle at or under 49cc or so. So, I am definitely interested. But, I have a few questions. I'm thinking about kitting my Giant Cabriolet ten speed road bike, and all of the kits in my price range (in frame) seem to come with a twist throttle which won't work on the "ram's horn" handlebars, although I think the clutch handle will fit nicely above the brake handle on the right side. So, I guess a thumb throttle will do the trick, but I'm not sure exactly what to look for. Would it just be easier to yank the "ram's horn" handlebar off and put a straight bar on? I don't really want to replace the handlebars like that because I will need to reconfigure the brakes, and I think that will be a pain in the butt. Also, what are the Dba's of the two stroke with a standard muffler config? My bike has 27 and a 1/4 inch wheels, and the tires are awefully thin, but I intend to replace them with a hybrid knobby tire because I end up riding on dirt trails a lot. Anyone see any problems there? Thanks for any and all help! I'll definitely have pictures put up of whatever ride I end up building!.crt.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us.

I have used a ATV thump throttle, used a small piece of copper tubing because the ATV throttle is for bigger bars. With the copper tubing it mounted just fine on my bars.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
My bike had those ram horns and I got rid of them and put different ones on.......yeah, it may be a pain to change everything to compensate, but in the long run you'll be quite pleased.

I wouldn't know about those thin tires......Mine is a 26" road bike and originally had those thin tires on it, but because of the limited space between the forks, I put 24" MTB tires on it. That was all that would fit for such a wide tire and it is really the ticket now!

darose111

Mar 25, 2009
Fayetteville
I think I might just have to take the bike to shop and see about the thicker tires then. Although, since then, I've been eyeballing the cruisers...they seem a lot easier to convert and definitely look better with an engine on it

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
cruisers look cool but def not easier to install on many of the Chinese atv's (the small ones) have a thumb throttle that you could install as well

DEATH4OF4

Mar 22, 2009
Green Bay, Wisconsin (Frozen Tundra)
I Have A Giant Cypress St With 700c Wheels And They Are Lot Nicer For The Kits. The Taller Tires Help Lower My Rpm And My Ride Is More Smooth At Higher Speeds I Also Have A 34 Tooth Sprocket.i Run Specialized Armadillo They Have Good Traction On The Dirt Trails+ I Hated Getting Flats And These Tires Are Tough.i Road Threw Glass And No Problems.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Darose, welcome. With an engine, you tend to sit more upright not having to lean in and use your weight to help peddle most of the time. Might be less comfortable sitting for extended periods haunched over with your handle bars. Personally, I like to be sitting back farther. Big tires really help smooth out your ride. But I am partial to the cruiser look and feel. Just throwing out ideas. Have you checked out the pictures and video section? Some really cool builds.

One of my favorite things about building MB's is you are not stuck with any decisions. Find you don't like an aspect of your build, swap it around. They are almost never finished and tend to be perpetual works in progress.

Looking forward to seeing your build

Last edited: