Caution! Fenders are Death!

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I don't see why Tom gets to have all the fun I want fenders of death too. I did the front today. Tomorrow I die, I mean do the rear.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Dyin ain't no thing, but no need to rush it.

I've got steel angles bolted and JB'ed on my swoopy fenders o' doom now. I also sprayed the undersides with plasti-dip and loc-tited everything.
Many thanks to this forum for all the good tips!
The bike is almost ready to go. hodee ho ho

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Those look like Planetbike fenders. Very light and sturdy, I've had 2 sets. I'm surprised they work with those fat tires, biknut!
Good eye, they are planet bike. I had to do a little modifying of the stays, bending them to be wider, but they work. The tires are about 3/4" wider than the fenders. That gives it that high performance look.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Those look like Planetbike fenders. Very light and sturdy, I've had 2 sets. I'm surprised they work with those fat tires, biknut!
Good eye, they are planet bike. I had to do a little modifying of the stays, bending them to be wider, but they work. The tires are about 3/4" wider than the fenders. That gives it that high performance look.
To be sure, they are light & sturdy & I like 'em too - but I should prolly mention they can be somewhat brittle & I've now cracked two of the rear ones at the bottom bracket mount.

I suspect it's a combination of too long an unsupported section behind the stays (vibration) & moderate to extreme cold... admittedly the latter may not apply to all lol

Fortunately, it's mostly a mild annoyance & no real safety hazard, I've also not managed to bust a front - but as they're on an ebike with "no vibration" I thought I'd mention it is all ;)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
To be sure, they are light & sturdy & I like 'em too - but I should prolly mention they can be somewhat brittle & I've now cracked two of the rear ones at the bottom bracket mount.

I suspect it's a combination of too long an unsupported section behind the stays (vibration) & moderate to extreme cold... admittedly the latter may not apply to all lol

Fortunately, it's mostly a mild annoyance & no real safety hazard, I've also not managed to bust a front - but as they're on an ebike with "no vibration" I thought I'd mention it is all ;)
Thanks for the warning BA. Yeah I know they can crack. I took one set off a china girl that started cracking after only a few hundred miles. I do plan on keeping a close eye on them.

These were just sitting around in my garage collecting dust. Now that I've pioneered a way to mount them, I'll be on the lookout for some replacements that will be more durable. It would be easy to replace these fenders, and utilize the same mounts.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The main thing that concerns me about these Planet Bike fenders is they're easily scratched. Even just rubbing them with a towel can mar the finish. I'm wondering about painting them, if that might hold up better.

mike_ric

May 4, 2011
Virginia
The same thing happened to my buddy on his chopped 1974 Yamaha 650 double. The rear fender welds broke during one of his first rides (at 50 mph - in a turn) and rotated around the tire and shot up in the air (according to his buddy who was riding behind) about three stories! Make those welds and brackets strong! We probably don't realize how much vibration and torque-bending fenders take on two-wheeled vehicles. Thankfully my friend didn't go down. They picked up the fender and are figuring out how to remount it.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh man, Mike! The second sentence made me cringe and intimate aspects of my anatomy retreat into my torso.

That is some scary stuff.

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
Depending on the 'towels' you used.. Yes you can put a bit of haze into the shine of a poly-fender finish, mainly because some paper towels are a bit abrasive, and that's a good reason to use what bike shops through the millennia use. Lemon Pledge and old, pure cotton socks.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Depending on the 'towels' you used.. Yes you can put a bit of haze into the shine of a poly-fender finish, mainly because some paper towels are a bit abrasive, and that's a good reason to use what bike shops through the millennia use. Lemon Pledge and old, pure cotton socks.
You're right. I've also had limited success with plastic polish.