Where to find lead sheets cheap

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'm buying lead sheet from Bikeguy Joe. I'll see how that works out. If it's not enough I'll just use a torch and melt some line sinkers, lead blocks, or whatever.

I personally guarantee it will be enough. I'm sending more than it took to do the ones I've done.:eek:

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
I mentioned the torch and melting because I wasn't sure if 12oz of lead would have been enough (if spread over a large area). I know lead is dense, but I'm not too familiar with handling it. Since you guarantee that there will be enough, I'll see how it works out and report back.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I mentioned the torch and melting because I wasn't sure if 12oz of lead would have been enough (if spread over a large area). I know lead is dense, but I'm not too familiar with handling it. Since you guarantee that there will be enough, I'll see how it works out and report back.

I hacked 'em up into four rough sized pieces, and marked 'em as to where they go. You may want to trim them down after it's done.

Let me know how it works for you. I haven't had any problems with them loosening or thinning.

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
I just recieved the sheets in the mail. They look and feel as though they should work for my bike. They are different sizes and they are labled as Bikeguy Joe said. I can't see them thinning out under pressure from the mounts because they would have to expand at the edges quite a bit. I'm not going to install these on my bike until tomorrow or the weeked; this is because I threw my back out and it is really painful to move around too much.

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
Ok, I just installed the lead sheets as well as a filter, ngk 5 plug, new wire boot and cable, and new petcock. I have shredded my hand open in the process of putting the new petcok on and now the cooling fins on the engine have ripped skin and blood smeared all over them. I will try to work the bike tomorrow after I fix a small fuel leak. If everything doesn't work, it's because nothing was broken and I shouldn't have messed with it.

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
I got all the big problems worked out and took a ride today. The bike is smooth throughout the throttle range. The best way to describe it is I hear the engline revving and I see the bike moving, but I don't feel anything! This is a big improvement for 5 dollars and some labor. Lead works! I want to thank Bikeguy Joe for his lead sheet and his help.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I got all the big problems worked out and took a ride today. The bike is smooth throughout the throttle range. The best way to describe it is I hear the engline revving and I see the bike moving, but I don't feel anything! This is a big improvement for 5 dollars and some labor. Lead works! I want to thank Bikeguy Joe for his lead sheet and his help.
Way cool HT. Thanks for the update and glad to hear all is good.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Interesting!

You have convinced me that I might be wrong on this...I will have to try it!

I was certain that the lead would offer very little in the way of a dampening effect in this frequency range, I also thought it would deform.

The proof is in the doing...

It would sure be easier to use lead than to design custom motor mounts using rubber.

Jim

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
The fact that it isn't deforming is more understandable than the huge benefit it provides as far as isolating vibration...this is what intrigues me the most. In theory a thin wafer of lead should do little or nothing to arrest vibration in this frequency range...but yet it is. Text book theory has it's exceptions and that's what makes this soooo cool.

Jim

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I'm going to try it!!!

I started my shop four years ago because customers wanted me to build what I designed. For example B.R.E. B.R.E. had a set of Billet heads made by a shop in Orlando...20K & 6 months later, the project was finished and the heads didn't even fit the engine! They gave up.

I made 3 sets of heads in 3 weeks at a total cost of 6K and we have been racing with them for the past four years!

I've been learning a lot about materials and manufacturing!

Jim