Rear tank mount and peacock questions

GoldenMotor.com

Subgraphic

Oct 1, 2012
Sunny San Diego
Hi all,

As you can see in my pic below, I modified my rack to fit the tank and longer petcock I bought with my kit. I've seen a few bikes with rear mounted tanks but never saw a discussion about them. Now it's almost all buttoned up and I would like to know if it's ok to have it mounted this location and with the petcock forward.

Also, if you look closely you can see the petcock nozzle is aimed slightly up. I have it as hand tight as I can and the only way to turn it down would be to turn it back so it's lose or to crank it the hard way over one more turn.

Is this an issue with the amount of Teflon dope on it or do some of these just get milled in such a way that they point out or up?

This forum is great, thanks for the help!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
As long as the bottom of the tank is higher than the fuel inlet of the carburetor you'll be good to go. These are gravity flow systems, no fuel pump and fuel runs downhill only.

As for the petcock, the kit tank and kit supplied petcocks are a 10mm machine thread, not a tapered pipe thread. There should have been a red gasket, about dime sized that was meant to seal the kit petcock to the tank. It appears that you have replaced the kit valve with another type which I will guess is 1/8" male pipe thread.
If that's the case it will probably turn in a little, it should be tighter than finger tight anyway, to rotate the fuel line to where you need it. In your case I would have used a straight petcock instead of the 90 degree one you have which would have aimed the fuel line more directly toward the carb.
Good luck.

Tom

Subgraphic

Oct 1, 2012
Sunny San Diego
As long as the bottom of the tank is higher than the fuel inlet of the carburetor you'll be good to go. These are gravity flow systems, no fuel pump and fuel runs downhill only.

As for the petcock, the kit tank and kit supplied petcocks are a 10mm machine thread, not a tapered pipe thread. There should have been a red gasket, about dime sized that was meant to seal the kit petcock to the tank. It appears that you have replaced the kit valve with another type which I will guess is 1/8" male pipe thread.
If that's the case it will probably turn in a little, it should be tighter than finger tight anyway, to rotate the fuel line to where you need it. In your case I would have used a straight petcock instead of the 90 degree one you have which would have aimed the fuel line more directly toward the carb.
Good luck.

Tom
Again, thanks for the advice. I will put the stock petcock back on to have it aiming down and that will do for my 1st build. (I do have the red gasket on there) I can always use the other one for something fancy smancy later.

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
If you have issues getting the petcock lever to face up, you can rub the red gasket on sandpaper and it will allow you to get it in the direction you want. I had to do this to mine because the petcock lever was facing in towards the frame.

Subgraphic

Oct 1, 2012
Sunny San Diego
If you have issues getting the petcock lever to face up, you can rub the red gasket on sandpaper and it will allow you to get it in the direction you want. I had to do this to mine because the petcock lever was facing in towards the frame.
Excellent idea, I'll try it!

i dont know if you are going to run it that way but your fuel filter is backwards in the pic :)
other than that its a nice build
This is why I love you guys. Thanks for the catch!