ECO Question - Electric vs Gas

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
This is right on the money in my opinion also, Aleman nailed it here.

All I would like to add is that Volcanos and other types of natural ''polution'' probably add more toxic gases into the air in 2 minutes time than all of the motorized bikes do over this entire planet do in a year or more.

I just flat out refuse to ''drink the cool-aid'' on about 99% of this man made global warming mess, I know we can do harm with some of the highly toxic chemicals man has created, but the exhaust from a little 66cc china girl ain't gonna make any difference whether we have them or not.

Scientist know that 1000's of gallons of crude oil leak up into our Oceans from the Ocean floor daily and has been for 100's or 1000's of years, I have no fear of my gas powered bike hurting anything on this planet.

Now if it's found out that all along without us realizing it that in fact flies do cause garbage, then I'll get more concerned...LOL

Get you a gas powered set up, put it together right, keep it quite as you can if that will please your locals, enjoy the ever living crap out of it and sleep good at night knowing that you aren't hurting a darn thing, and you're having a lot less impact on natural resources than the critical Joe Blow next door, who keeps his house to warm, uses to much hot water, flushes toxic laundry soap into the drain, puts toxic weed killer on his yard, toxic bug killer in and outside his house and probably has at least one car or truck that uses many times more resources than you're gas bike ever could in it's life time.

Either way is ok if chosen based on simple preference, but when we start picking the winner or the looser based on which is greener, I get all wrinkled up and say, forget the which is ''greener'' business and just go with what best meets your needs and/or desires plain and simple, I would use an electric scooter maybe for runing up to the mail box and back which is about 200 yards but for nothing else, just my preference on the matter.

Best wishes on whatever you choose and just have fun and ride safe.

Just my $0.02 nothing more, nothing less........!

Peace, map

LOL biknut!

Many people have the misconception that electric is greener than gas. The thing is, electricity is primarily generated by coal in our country, and batteries contain more dangerous pollutants than any gas engine. Not to mention, electric propulsion systems use precious metals that are currently monopolized by China.

Gas engines are arguably easier to recycle and our country's infrastructure favors gasoline-powered vehicles. Gas engines are also cheaper and modern 4-strokes put out a fraction of the pollution they used to. You can fill up at any gas station in minutes and be on your way. No lugging around a battery charger and waiting.

Also, electrics aren't necessarily more reliable. If you look at race entries vs DNFs for the last 4 motorized bicycle races, more electrics failed than gas. All that said, I don't have anything against e-bikes. But I can't help but chuckle at e-bikers who think they are being more "green" than a guy with a gas-powered bike. Time is money, and e-bikes cost more.

Last edited:

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
A good Saddle Horse costs about 16.00 a day to keep. A Gas MB gets around 130 - 155 MPG, @ 4.00 a gallon. An electric bike gets 25 miles or better. per charge. Most of the time the Gasoline engine is cheaper per mile. (c)

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
The question you need to ask yourself is how many miles a day, and what would your longest trip that you see yourself wanting motor assist doing is? If you ride 20 miles and under per day and never want to exceed that by much then electric is your best bet.

However if you want to go longer distances then gas will probably be best. Keep in mind that here in OR the limit is 35cc< and 24 mph. But the bright side is that it does allow you 4 mph more in legal speed. A 4 cycle 35cc like the Robin or Honda will do that all day long also. The problem is how to transfer that energy to the bike and I have come to the conclusion that the best way to do so is with a friction drive. Reduction gearing systems just rob too much power from a smaller engine and also parasitic drag on the bikes conventional drivetrain which makes it less like a bike when you just want to pedal.

As far a the eco thing I don't have much of an opinion on that other than if you are conscious of reducing your overall usage of elec/fuel in a realistic way that is a good thing.
I think that's a good synopsis Mabman and I agree. BTW, I find it interesting what you've concluded with FD. If I remember right you used to think differently on that, no?

Last edited: