wont start

GoldenMotor.com

Blazecc

Apr 19, 2011
connecticut
bought a 49cc that was already broken in , my mixture was 20:1 the bike ran great for a few days on my way home frm a short ride it started running a bit funny when i got home turned it off well lets say thats the last time it started. i checked the wiring/ bought a new plug/it sems like its not getting any spark anyone have any clues to help me with my new dilemma. thankszpt

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
An internal combustion engine needs three things to run; fuel, air and a source of ignition.
You said "it seems like it isn't getting spark (ignition). How have you confirmed that?

Starting at the fuel supply. Is fuel flowing to the carburetor? Is the petcock/filter open?

Next is air. Is the choke plate open? Is the air filter clean?

Ignition: Remove the spark plug from the cylinder head. Reconnect the ignition lead and lay the plug against the cylinder head cooling fins so metal is touching metal. Spin the rear wheel with the clutch engaged and look for a spark at the plug's electrodes. If it sparks, you have ignition. If it doesn't, start looking for why. Check the wiring between the engine and the CDI (ignition module) Blue to blue, black to black and the white wire isolated so it can not come in contact with any metal part.
The kill switch or button has been blamed for a lot of ignition related problems. To test, if you don't have an ohm meter, disconnect the two wires from the kill switch and try the spark plug test again.

Confirm you have those essential three elements, fuel, air and ignition then get back to us if the engine doesn't run.
Tom

Blazecc

Apr 19, 2011
connecticut
thanks for the help but stil nothing, the wires: black to black, blue to blue the kill button never worked from ther get go but the bike had no problems starting in the past, the past being the 2 weeks ive owned the bike . can i just eliminate the ground wire alltogether (green wire) as far as disconnecting the wires from the kill switch they are housed in an enclosed unit i dont see anywhere to split the unit apart . is there any way around that other than cutting then? so i remain with the no spark dillemma or is the spark so faint u have to look very closely while it lays on the head and i compress the motor.the motor btw is a 49cc flying tiger.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There's no need to take the kill switch apart. Simply cut the wires where they're spliced into the blue and black from the CDI.
The spark at the plug's electrodes should be visible even in daylight. If you have no spark, and you've confirmed that the wiring connections are good, and the kill switch is disconnected then the problem is more than likely with the magneto coil or the CDI.
The only other area where you can look is the spark plug, the plug wire and its terminals or the wires inside the magneto cover, left side of your engine. There have been reports of broken solder joints on the coil, bad spark plugs and the connections at the CDI and the plug boot.
Tom

bimotocycle

Apr 20, 2011
South Florida
I am also having trouble getting my 80/66 motor running. I went today and replaced the plug cap and the plug itself and im still not able to get the engine running. I used an in-line ignition spark checker a few minutes ago and when i let go of the clutch the light in the checker came on. I just went outside with the bike to check to see if it was pulling air. I started pedaling and let the clutch go, while holding my finger over the carb hole. It had a suction, and while I had my finger over the hole MY ENGINE STARTED UP!!! I was able to drive it around the neighborhood for a few and then it died on me. I used the choke to cover the carb and it started back up. As I was nearing my apt I had to turn the motor off because there was an unmarked police car around the front of the place. I guess the neighbors dont like me revving my engine at Midnight....OOPS!! I dont know why I have to use the choke now to start the motor??? Also I have noticed an oil-like substance under the head where it connects to the block. I have cleaned the area twice and the stuff keeps showing back up. I dont think its the oil because the oil I use is blue and if im not mistaken there is no other place for oil to be besides the gas tank?? Any assistance would be much appreciated.