Newbie from Fort Collins CO

GoldenMotor.com

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
Hello gang...
I'm new to the forum, and am considering a build! My biggest concern would be the ability to tow a Toddler in a trailer! Has anyone tried this yet, I'm not concerned about what speed I can get to, mostly the stability of those trailers and exhaust fumes while attached to the motored bike! any suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated! thanks

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you with us :)

Their is a few that tow their kids on a trailer , maybe they will chime in here
:ride2:

pedalpower

Aug 5, 2008
hi, Greeley here. I don't think you want to be too close to my rear end at least during my 20:1 breakin but a healthy china engine should have a whisp of smoke. so, you going to a rack mount setup? the kid may need some earplugs.

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
It's awesome. The exhaust from your engine has a great calming effect with your child. After a ride,he's fast asleep! rotfl
thanks pal :rolleyes:... I've thought of that one already, and that's also one of the main reasons I'm asking; to see how people have remedied some of these issues with towing the little people around!

Last edited:

pedalpower

Aug 5, 2008
sorry, but I'm guessing you would get some strange wtf looks going down Shields towing a toddler in a wake of white smoke. So, a decent electric motor will cost you but probably better for the future of your gene pool. just my .02
jon

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Greetings ! My next door neighbors moved out to Loveland for some time, then were transferred to Las Vegas. I went out to visit and got to see Fort C. Beautilful area for biking there.

I don't know if you have your kids trailer yet or are considering the purchase of one. I've seen them with a wind shield which I'd highly recommend for the kids sake. I think the electric motor concept would have alot to offer you also. If you had a mountain bike with 10 to 15 gears you could easily compensate for terrain and the electric motor may give up to a 40 mile range.

There is just something about the notion of kids sitting in a trailer in the wake of a motorized bike's slip stream of the CO1 and oil vapor that cancels out the virtues of fresh air and sun shine. (even though not visible to the naked eye in the form of smoke....oil vapor poisoning should still be a health threat over a typical bike ride) The electric motor set up may even weigh less.

If you wish to go with the 2cycle engine see if you can find an exhaust system that vents upwards above the rear wheel. A good silencer should be
considered too so you don't deafen your kids. Again electric has much to offer you.

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
If you wish to go with the 2cycle engine see if you can find an exhaust system that vents upwards above the rear wheel. A good silencer should be
considered too so you don't deafen your kids. ...
I like the idea of exploring for an upward vent option, also what kinds of "scilencers" would you reccomend? I definately wouldn't want to deafen my little guy! Thanks

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I think I remember someone saying they routed their exhaust all the way back so it comes out behind the trailer. Might be an option.

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
I pull my 2 grand daughters (3+5yrs) all the time...well over 2000 miles
I bent my exhaust so it is aimed straight down
they say that they can't smell anything...
their dad (azvinnie) has a long pipe and they DID complain when he pulled them
Thanks Bill! What about the noise... is the stock muffler quiet enough or should I add some kind of silencer? also, What is your top speed like with the kids and trailer? any other tips I should be aware of?

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I'm just staring at this

And look at how you can rig any bicycle up front there.
MMMmmmmmm....

I got a kid trailer too. I wonder if i could replicate that...

I like the idea of your loved ones up front so you can see what they are up to.

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
I'm just staring at this

And look at how you can rig any bicycle up front there.
MMMmmmmmm....

I got a kid trailer too. I wonder if i could replicate that...

I like the idea of your loved ones up front so you can see what they are up to.
I like that too... Where did the image come from? a Catalogue? or online dealer? looks very eruo, at least the setting does... if you can tap me into a dealer I'd be interested!

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
I like that photo above. When I was a kid that would have been a cool mom.

Here's an image of a bike with an expansion chamber with built in silencer. (it's from the expansion chamber thread) The silencer really brings down the exhaust note from sounding like a chain saw to sounding more like a quiet lawn mower. The silencer is the "tail pipe" of the chamber. (red colored tube under the seat)

Expansion chambers are different than mufflers as they effect the power of the motor and at what speed the power band occurs. Some expansion chambers don't have silencers and "clamp on" silencers are purchased and used on them. Motorcycle shops generally sell those. They are a larger piece of tubing that has a smaller tube in the center. It can be removed and fiber glass wool can be rolled over the core and then inserted into the silencer. That's secured with a clip at the end of the silencer which holds the core in place. Those with the built in silencers have similar.

But if you have someone who is handy with tubing and tools they could route a pipe upwards from the motor and route it like in the photo and use a small muffler the same way. (a muffler won't require a silencer)

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I like that too... Where did the image come from? a Catalogue? or online dealer? looks very eruo, at least the setting does... if you can tap me into a dealer I'd be interested!
Here's the video link:
trioBike -- The worlds first carrierbike where the bike also can be used as a normal bike.

It's three things in one. The bike stroller you see, the bike by itself and the stroller by itself.

I'm sure someone here can replicate this; I bet they would want a pretty penny.