Op Roller Build

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Yes, yet another Op Roller motor bicycle. I built this one for my best friend Bruce. Actually he bought the bicycle and motor kit the same time I bought mine last September, but it's taken me this long to make it because of life happening.

It features the hockey puck front motor mount, like the Atomic BB. I couldn't use the same design for the chain tensioner as on the Atomic BB, because this bikes frame is a little shorter and there wasn't enough room, so I copied what others have done using the stock tensioner. This design is superior to the stock mount because it doesn't try to pull the tensioner into the spokes.

Bruce wanted to use the same fuel tanks as the Atomic BB. The motor is a Black 48cc Flying Horse slant head. Bruce decided to use the stock rag joint and sprocket since that's what came with the kit, and I kind of wanted to experience building a bike with one, so that's what he's starting out with.

Extras include a head and tail light, and a wireless speedometer. I installed a NGK BPR6HSA resister plug to try to prevent RF interfering with the wireless speedo.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
That's great! Innovative tank design, innovative pipe design! Smooth lines! I really like it. Tell us more if you can :)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That's great! Innovative tank design, innovative pipe design! Smooth lines! I really like it. Tell us more if you can :)
The main idea about the fuel tanks is they're more stealthy looking for legal reasons. The bikes profile looks less like a motorcycle without a gas tank on the cross bar. Plus I just like the way it looks.

Here's a thread I made about making the fuel tanks.

http://motorbicycling.com/f41/custom-fuel-tank-made-camp-fuel-27428.html

Making the exhaust was a response to the stock pipe breaking apart. It happened twice. Both times I ran over the muffler at about 30 mph. The second time it broke a spoke on the rear wheel, so I decided to redesign it to be more dependable without spending much money.

Here's a thread where I explain the exhaust.

http://motorbicycling.com/f51/my-exhaust-system-destructed-25775.html

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
A nice build indeed! I really like the OP's aluminum frame, all but the 1" head tube they use instead of one for the 1-1/8" steer tube. The only other prob I see is the lack of a front brake and just a coaster brake for stopping power.....not enuf in my book. None the less, nice job on the build biknut.

dnut

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
A nice build indeed! I really like the OP's aluminum frame, all but the 1" head tube they use instead of one for the 1-1/8" steer tube. The only other prob I see is the lack of a front brake and just a coaster brake for stopping power.....not enuf in my book. None the less, nice job on the build biknut.

dnut
Thanks scotto. Back in September when Bruce bought this bike nither one of us had any idea what was a good bike to use, or why. He rides a ZX10R and was thinking at the time maybe motor bicycles won't be any fun, so why spend much money. Since that time he's learned about how much fun my bike has been so he probably would do it differently now. I think as time has gone by and we found out how nice my bike is, he started thinking this bike would end up a little too cheap and worried it wouldn't be very good. I was a little concerned about that too, but now that it's complete I feel it turned out better than either one of us expected.

So far Bruce hasn't even seen it yet except for the pictures I sent him. Hopefully he'll go crazy like the rest of us and our numbers will increase by one.

Considering this is probably the cheapest bike on earth, it was nice to build it and find out what you can end up with spending minimal money. I'm pretty impressed.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Got to go for a ride with Bruce on his new motor bicycle tonight. It was the first time ever I've gotten to ride with another MB.

I told Bruce if he's going to run all the stop signs there's not much point in giving hand signals lol.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
On our shake down run we got about 5 miles and one of the exhaust studs striped out. That was last night. Today we installed a helicoil and did a 20 mile ride with no more incidents.

I like that bike alot. I think I'm going to build several more just like it.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
You like my philosophy biknut? I think you do.dnut

"cheap bikes are ok, if they're built the right way" "good bikes are not cheap however"

On our shake down run we got about 5 miles and one of the exhaust studs striped out. That was last night. Today we installed a helicoil and did a 20 mile ride with no more incidents.

I like that bike alot. I think I'm going to build several more just like it.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
You like my philosophy biknut? I think you do.dnut

"cheap bikes are ok, if they're built the right way" "good bikes are not cheap however"
I agree. I think most of the problems people have is from poor engineering on their part. It probably helps that I have an advanced degree in engineering from African College.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Sorry to hear about the exhaust stud but I'm glad it was an easy fix :)
I'm not sure why it happened but I think I may have caused it when I replaced the stock studs with some grade 5 ones that I made. It took about 5 minutes to repair.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Here is my first build, the same OP cruiser from Wal-mart...

- Grubee GT5
- 34T kings sprocket
- MM ported manifold
- NGK Iridium Plug
- Magnecor Plug wire
- SBP Air Filter
- SBP exp. chamber
- everything port matched & polished
- re-jetted for high altitude

xct2

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
F Rod, that's really nice. Where'd you get the front end? I really like it. I got to show that to Bruce.