how loud is an HT bicycle engine from the cager's perspective?

GoldenMotor.com

adb140275

Aug 8, 2010
Harrison City, PA
Long story short, i flipped someone off, cops have a descrip of my bike,and SUPPOSEDLY (my friend's mom fabricates a lotta BS) my bike is illegal to be operated on the road, must be registered and have turn signals... TURN SIGNALS. I know thats not true.

So i want to ride again, and ill pedal at a moderate speed with the engine... how loud is a stock HT from a car? If I'm pedaling, will it be immediately obvious that i have an engine on my bike? I'm 15, i'm sick of being homebound here. If i reg my bike as a '74 vespa ciao I dont know what the cops would say... I KNOW they would pull me over.

I was stopped two nights in a row at 9 pm for riding my moped on my own property because they ''thought I might ride on the road'', and then they somehow traced my moped plate back to a red 4 dr sedan. Freakin seriously? Can't wait til i can show em my liscense, reg, and insurance info when they pull me over for NO reason.

Last edited:

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
Re: how loud is an HT from the cager's perspective?

why are you flipping people off? No need for any of that. Give MBers a bad name! Correct me if I,m wrong, but dont you need a drivers license to ride one of these? Sorry dude just be cool!

adb140275

Aug 8, 2010
Harrison City, PA

Oh yeah, I forgot you guys here were all concerned about yourselves...

guy ran me off the road doin ~35 in a 20 and blew a stop sign to pass me, i chased him to the end of the street and flipped him off. If he hadn't been a petty uptight piece of trash (he called the cops) I'd still be on the road.

Jax2A

Nov 5, 2010
The LC, Ohio

No, they're concerned about all of us wanting to enjoy these fine toys.
You on the other hand are young and as much as you don't want to hear it, inexperienced. You can't control what others do but you can control your reactions. If you hadn't "chased him to the end of the street and flipped him off" he wouldn't have called the cops. I'm not saying he was right, just that you were wrong too. Two wrongs don't make a right. Had you kept your cool, you wouldn't be getting hassled. When people piss me off on the road now, I just blow them a kiss. It seems to freak them out and I get a good laugh out of it. What would the cop had said if this dude had called them and said you chased him down and blew him a kiss? Think you'd still be getting the attention of the boys in blue? Relax.

Last edited:

adb140275

Aug 8, 2010
Harrison City, PA

just a little sick of the BS. Now im really upset because i cant get around anymore until i get my liscense, which wont be until next april (2012) at least.

"you're 15, where do you have to be"

lets not go there.

Not so sure why someone in minnesota cares what someone in pennsylvania is acting like.

to answer my original question...

Last edited:

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan

Like Jax2a said...it's a matter of two wrongs not making a right, really. your best bet would be to A) look into your state's if not city's specific laws on registration and what needs to be made to make your bike legal, as ignorance of the law is not an excuse for breaking it, as the judge or officer will tell you directly. Second, always carry a cell phone with video and pic capabilities. If you would have gotten his license number on film and videotaped your confrontation WITHOUT flipping him off, then you would have had the law on your side.

As for turn signals, yes, they can be required. Here in Michigan the letter of the law is that ALL motorized vehicles must be registered with the state, and that they need blinkers, a front and back light, a brake light, and a horn to be considered street legal. A few towns here have officers who are lax on the law and let you get away with turn signals, but sure as sh!t they will throw your bike in their trunk and impound it if you get caught speeding on an unregistered and unlit vehicle. Again: Check your local laws. It took me all of 5 minutes on my computer to do so.

when you are on one of these things you are representing ALL of us, and influencing the cager's viewpoints on us as well as dictating the course laws will take. And ultimately in the fight between a one ton car and a 80lb bike, that car? It's always gonna win.

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan

..and don't get pissy when you ask a question and don't get the response you were looking for. Everyone here is trying to talk to you and advise you from the breadth of our experiences.

A smart person learns from their mistakes.

A wise person learns from someone else's.

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan

and to answer your question - not that loud at all. a car makes it's own engine noise, they have stereos going and windows more than likely up, and unless you're lucky, they're probably on their cell phones or eating or doing god knows what else besides paying attention to the road.

Jax2A

Nov 5, 2010
The LC, Ohio

I get being upset by the BS. Dealing with cops is about passing their attitude test. Is it the same cop stopping you? If you had told him the first time that you chased them down and flipped them off because you lost your cool when they ran you off and then apologized and said it won't happen again, then the cop probably wouldn't have come back the next night. You don't have to suck up, just don't be a jerk to them. When you're a jerk to them, they become bigger jerks to you.

I get about being 15 and having places to go. I grew up out in the country and if you didn't have wheels, you didn't have a life. But responsibility comes with the wheels. When you're on that bike, you represent all of us. Even some random MB dude in Minnesota. Why? Because all the legislative branches in all 50 states are copy cats. You help get MB's banned in your hometown and it spreads like a virus to the country. I'm oversimplifying it, but that's the basic point.

Finally, about the sound level... experiment. Sit in a car and have a friend ride around you or rev up your bike at different distances from the car. I can't tell you because I've never had one around me while I was in a car.

Sorry if I'm sounding like your father but I am one. I have kids your age, older and younger too. And I'm just trying to help you understand the situation a little better. And hey, I was once young and hated cops too... before I met some cool ones that helped me out, they're not all bad. Good luck my young friend.

Last edited:

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan

((it was my local po-po that agreed to clock my Falcon GTS/49cc slant head with their gun to tell me how fast I was actually going on a straightaway.. 42mph in a 30mph zone. No ticket. I sold him one later that month for his kid.))

Elitefr

Sep 12, 2010
Pittsburgh

I'm from pittsburgh and its surely not illegal to ride these things in PA. You just messed up big time and pissed some people off. I actually idled my bike next to a couple cops who were standing on the sidewalk, they didn't say a word to me. Just keep your cool, you don't own the road.

to answer your question, it is not illegal to ride these in PA under these circumstances:
The bike is under 50cc's (which mine is not)
The bike must have pedals
You must have a drivers license class C
engine may not exceed 1.5 brake horsepower
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-momo.pdf

yes, these bikes are loud, my friends can actually tell when im nearby by the sound of my bike, its very distinct. I mean you can only hear it from a block away, but still the things loud.

adb140275

Aug 8, 2010
Harrison City, PA

The thing: How would i register a bicycle? I have a real moped, i'm not messin with the whole enhanced inspection thing. I have a spare moped vin i can rivet onto a bike and get titled, but the officer is gonna know "Hey, wait a minute, that's not a vespa ciao!"

Before the incident, I blasted past several cops on my BMP bike (loud...) and rode through traffic once with an officer behind me. I ALWAYS use hand signals, drive in the right tire path of the car in front, and give cars the right of way. I try to make an example of other people that shouldn't have a liscense and make myself a better driver. I'll bet if i build a new bike, I wont get in trouble. I wish i could tell for sure if my friend's mom was speaking the truth, she is a corrupt woman.

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan

All of the info on legality for your state should be able to be found via googling your DMV and Mopeds in the same search.. That's how I found the laws for my state, and our legislature is so horrendous that they actually tried to abolish our state constitution and start from scratch this past election and rewrite EVERYTHING. So I can't imagine it'll be that difficult for ya.

Find the law as it stands. Talk to your local officers on the subject and they might be able to give you answers. I know that people here register their bikes using the date stamped on the motor and the engine type as their VIN..

from my experience the fuzz don't mind loud bikes, as loud bikes save lives. it's provoking or instigating situations that'll get their attention in a bad way.

Find the laws, show them to your mom. Let her friend look like a jackhole for thinking she knows anything about a subject she has no involvement in.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

abd that sux man, I can understand the anger when someone cuts you off. But there are people here that have been hit and/or ran over and they(broads in trucks) take off, so consider yourself lucky. Licensing is different state per state, some states don't even have any legislation for motorized bikes, Canada only has one province with an mto provision for 50cc/500kw bikes... Plus anyone up here has to be 16 and pimping bicycle laws, lights, mirror, bell, helmut etc...

So sorry to hear about your luck, but you probably aren't too legal, being 15 and all. When I was 15 I had to get my CanAm 250 dropped off at the trail edge, because even pushing it there would get me hassled...

Get new friends so their moms can't rat you out. Just don't run anyone over... But hey how many ppl in SUV's has that rule stopped, ha. Srsly, get new friends, and quit flipping people off, you aren't legal. When you are legal, fire your Glock in the air at all them dingbats...

Until then, I give you patience for Christmas. It will serve you well, when I was your age I used to steal junkers out of the local scrapyard and take them joyriding with my 'friends'... till they all ratted me out. I was 13 then, and it really opened my eyes.

I'm 33 now... and still don't really trust anyone. Everything is done with apprehension.

Just some advice from an old trouble-maker...

Have a good one.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california

back to the original question, i was riding next to my buddy's car and he couldn't hear my bike with his windows up, and mine's louder than stock.

but i can hear the 3-4 guys who live around here from a block away when they buzz passed my house, and there's one jacka$$ without the baffle i can hear from a mile away.

i've been stopped at lights and had people yelling questions at me about my bike, and i usually have to kill the motor to hear them.

on another note, a buddy of mine who builds custom motorcycles told me they aim their exhaust pipes up now because so many people drive SUV's.:)