Winter is coming!!!

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
pft winter here is 60 degrees :)
Above or below? Some years back we had 63 degrees below zero on the thermometer here in northeastern Minnesota. It has been much milder in recent years, but still cold. I don't mind the cold so much as I do the length of the winter. Used to be from Mid October into mid April. It's why I spend my winters now in Maryland near where Tinsmith is riding all winter. Now that I've got a more reliable ride I'll be out there braving it in all but deep snow this winter. Yes, that was a heck of a snow we had last winter, Dan.
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Above or below?
SB
LOL! that is just so wrong. Wrong wrong wrong. Not you SB, the thought of 60 below. Was on a tanker and we tied up in Comebychance New Foundland. Was 14 below and blowing stink at 60 knots. She was a steam ship and we had to use steam hoses to operate any valves on deck. The steam was nice and warm so you would step in the cloud to warm up. The instant you steped out of it, you literally formed ice all over your foul-language gear. (Like foul weather gear but you constantly cursed your choice of career when you needed to don em) I could snap parts of my beard and mustache off with my fingers

Had a guy walk into the galley. Shards of ice falling off him. He looked at us with icicles hanging from his nose and said; "It's not the heat so much, it's the humidity"

From there, we went to the Belgian Congo in Africa where it was summer and 114F. The ship got so hot in the sun you couldn't shower. The pipes were to hot. Had to fill a bucket with water and wait.

(yet sadly, I miss it. lol)

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Layers, layers and a face mask, and more layers. I'm recumbent and low.

No puddles on the ground and temp is 35F or more, I will ride.

I want ski's too. But I want a pair of them to replace the front tire. Then I'd expand the riding to include snow days.

ElMicNip

Sep 5, 2010
Vantucky
I made a sled ped last winter....It was so much fun ........ otherwise ride a snowmobile....

I could try doing this on a MB we will see......
I have been thinking about studded tires because even if they sold chains for bikes I would be worried about a snag. But the ski idea looks like a hoot.

spideyman

Aug 29, 2010
ontario
ive studded regular bike tires by putting SS rivets tthrough and lining the rim with another inner tube im going to try that this winter!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Har, lol GH! Now I gotta try and build that. Am thinking spring loaded work boots. Sneakers for better weather.

skjjoe

Mar 9, 2009
Boerne Texas
Well what i do is go someplace warm.This year its San Antonio. But i had to leave the bike behind this time . Texas cant seem to make up their minds about Mbc's . So this winter ill be ordering and collecting parts for my spring build. GT Lts

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
so it actaully warmed up a little and it appears winter has been postponed here althogh it snowed lightly and melted at night last week but i has since warmed up 41 degrees today it was nice to have some t shirt weather

i wroet winter is already here after a night ride of numb fingers and cold ness i also slid on a frozen puddle

Elixys

Sep 14, 2010
Midland, TX
aaaaah winter.....why do they call it the most wonderful time of the year again?.......we get chilly but its mainly a plains/desert kind of cold where it heats up to about 50 in the day time and drops to 25 at night.,,,,,and ooooooh man the wind is the killer out here. if its not windy, its windy, and if the wind isnt blowing, there is something wrong because the wind should be blowing......not much in the way of snow/ice though.....maybe one or two days out of the year we get some of that, but mainly we get the horribly fluctuating temperatures.....the kind that get you sick real easy because of the drastic changes in temperature.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
25 at night wow thats pretty mild man our average low is 10 degrees we hit 0 at least once or twice a years there are time when it stays about 1o for a week or more but really it aint so bad i live in south central alaska and the real cold is about 500 to 800 miles north

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
How cool would that sound on a big 'ol slow turning 4 smoke with flip-flops!? Putt-putt-flop-flopp-putt-putt-flopp-flopp. At high RPM; puterflopppppppppppp. LOL

Wouldn't make a great "get-away" MB but how cool would that be?

On a sound mission and think I got it. used a blow-bag plumbers use to clean drains, RiverSide :: whisper drive/HF Engine/clog-Free muffler video by dan3xd - Photobucket Dang thing works great!

I rambled again, huh?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Oh the Humanity!
It is BRUTAL WINTER HERE HOW!

I may have to go out and shovel the sunshine away from the citrus trees so they don't ripen too soon!
(snicker snicker)
I still leave my doors and windows open most of the time ;-}