Dutch cruiser bicycle with rear engine

GoldenMotor.com

Leo Klepper

May 23, 2010
Netherlands
In the Netherlands the laws and rules do not allow to build your own motorized bicycle. It is illegal tot do so and you cannot insure your bike. So, i'm a bit jealous at you guys in the US. In the Netherlands we have a motorized bicycle category, called "snorfiets", translated in English "snoaring bicycle", that won't and may not go faster than 25 km/h. I'm going to try to put together a cruiser bicycle and the 30 cc 2-stroke rear engine of a snoaring bicycle. For the headlights i'm going to use an old carbidlamp, where i will put ledlamps in. Any suggestions for a fuel tank?

Attachments

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
Hey Leo , that bike in the second picture looks really cool . How old is that bike ?
I like the mounting possition of that motor , it keeps the center of gravity down low .
Is that yours , or is it just an example of a snorfiets .

If your going to use an old carbide lamp , maybe an old small brass handheld fire extinguisher would look good with it . But you have to do something that goes along good with the shape of the frame .

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
25 km/h? Isn't that like 15 mph? That's like Goped speed.

I'd get the 50cc kit anyway & get a custom sprocket built for it with like 60 teeth to pass inspection. Then you could always adjust from there. Or does it have to be that particular style of motor?

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
Hello for the US! I have seen alot of people use any type of can, like fruit can, coffee can anything like that, gonna have to do some weldding though. When this type of gas tank is used it is usually mounted behind and just lower than the seat. Those are both cool bikes. Keep us posted with what you come up with. My father was born in Rotterdam.

Leo Klepper

May 23, 2010
Netherlands
@Diceman 200:

This bicycle is 15 years old, i bought it a few days ago for 150 Euro's (190 Dollars). In the Netherlands this bicycle is not sold new anymore. In Australia there's the Rotary Cruiser, with the same engine http://www.rotarybike.com . The engine kit is also sold separately. Thanks for Your suggestion for a fire extinguisher.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
"Snoring bicycle"... I love it. The juice can tanks are soldered with silver solder and work well. If you want to go this route I can give you some tips. Let me know. Welcome to the forum, Leo!
SB

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
"Snoring bicycle"... I love it. The juice can tanks are soldered with silver solder and work well. If you want to go this route I can give you some tips. Let me know. Welcome to the forum, Leo!
SB
Well when you can only go 15 MPH you run the risk of falling asleep while riding. laff

mem

May 22, 2010
bangor
Leo ,
Misschien een ouwe opa of oma fiets zou beter en mooier zijn :)
met een motor erop

just a thought

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Leo, welcome from Canada.
We can't build snorfiets here in Canada either and we can only go 30km/20 mph on our electric ones. No more than 500W.

You face very big fines if you do.

Steve.

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
hello there leo from canada how do you do,it's to bad that you cant build anything with a much better power output, but then again could you use a rack mounted 35cc four stroke motor like a robin ,or a honda ghx 35 ,or even a dax titan 35cc. Would that be allowed in your part of the woods?
If so i say go for it. Here's a pic of my bike i ride here up in northeren Ontario Canada.cflgxct2

Attachments

Leo Klepper

May 23, 2010
Netherlands
I have collected all the necessary stuff for assembling my first motorized cruiser: a used, but in a state of new cruiser bicycle for about $ 180, a new brown leather saddle for $ 30, a used motorized rear wheel for $ 180 and a used can-like fueltank for $ 30 and i found a guy that can assemble the lot into a working motorized cruiser for $ 125 (i'm not that handy). Total costs about $ 545. Don't know if that's expensive or cheap. The end result will look like this (picture) and will take several weeks to finish.

Attachments

Leo Klepper

May 23, 2010
Netherlands

Attachments

Last edited:

Leo Klepper

May 23, 2010
Netherlands
Re: Dutch cruiser bicycle with rear engine: finished!

Yesterday i gave my retro motorized bicycle the finishing touch. I'm very statisfied with the result and i have uploaded some photographs. The carbidlamp in the front is more than 100 years old and is converted tot electrical light. I enjoyed this project very much and i'm looking out for the next! Thanks for the comments and tips.

Attachments

jose Pinto

Aug 29, 2010
Portugal
Hello friends, I take this topic to share with you my new girl spartamet Dutch, is a fantastic bike, has nothing to do with bicycles built for us all, but it is an excellent bike to do a bit of physical exercise because it is uphill even need to ride without much effort, have made ​​the journey from home to work and home and work do not get sweaty, very good very pleased. but the news does not stop there, a week ago I bought another one on Ebay with the same engine mounted brand Saxonett by the amount of 122 euros, only that the seller did not want to send from Austria to Portugal, but when we want it all arranges, talked to my brother, he has a friend who has an international carrier and the friend of my brother did me the favor of raising the abode of Austria and brings to Portugal, with free service (only tebho to pay a few beers) aida worth having friends when they need are there to serve us. Once you get to post some pictures here, however since the Spartmet