New Electra Bike Build Update

GoldenMotor.com

floridaboy

Apr 25, 2009
Hudson, FL.
I was able to get all the parts togeather to finish my new build. The bike is a Electra Coaster alum. streach frame that weighed 31 pounds. The engine came from Dax and is a F80. The custom parts motor mount,40T sprocket and adaptor,clutch activator, a straight intake manifold and copper ext gasket all came from Jim at Creative Engineering and made the build a pleasure. I have only put about 10 miles on it sofar but there will be many more to come. Here is some pictures of the bike.

Attachments

floridaboy

Apr 25, 2009
Hudson, FL.
The marks you see in the pictures on the rear tire is were when the chain got loose and hit up against the tire it skuffed a wax coating on the tire NO TIRE DAMAGE.

Last edited:

i-paint

May 24, 2008
I was able to get all the parts togeather to finish my new build. The bike is a Electra Coaster alum. streach frame that weighed 31 pounds. The engine came from Dax and is a F80. The custom parts motor mount,40T sprocket and adaptor,clutch activator, a straight intake manifold and copper ext gasket all came from Jim at Creative Engineering and made the build a pleasure. I have only put about 10 miles on it sofar but there will be many more to come. Here is some pictures of the bike.
That is a very clean and nice looking bike. What is the overall length? Just an obsevation, you could make yoour tensioner self adjusting with a bolt and a nut on each side of the slot. Tighten the nuts just tight enough that the tensioner wheel will slide up and down in the slot. Put a jam nut on the outside nut and hook a spring to the bolt. The spring will hold the tensioner wheel tight against the chain and you never have to adjust it. I have done this on and it makes for a better ride with never any slack in the chain. Again good looking bike, Larry (i-paint)

floridaboy

Apr 25, 2009
Hudson, FL.
The overall length is 3inches longer then a Schwinn Legacy that was my first build. The big difference is the distance between the seat post and the frame head that is 6 inches longer. This extra distance gives you more arm extension and feels more like a motor cycle then a bike. The chain tensioner idea you gave is good and will look into it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
FL Boy,
Sorry I missed this until today but its never too late to pass on a compliment. Very nice build, very pretty bike. I had the chance to take a look at the Electra Townie recently and I was impressed. They build nice bikes, so do you. Congrats.
Tom

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
here are some pics of a tensioner I built using a skateboard wheel and a brake arm onto my stock tensioner clamp. the first 2 pics are just a picture of the tensioner, the other are views of me holding it down allowing slack in the chain and the other pic is of releasing tensioner (puting tension back on the chain) this is on one of my Mountain bikes, a trek 830 crome-moly frame. you just cant get that sprocket true dead center and the tensioner takes out the bad vibes that the sprocket creates. there is a simple solution to the fix though. the tensioner works really good, I put it in a 50 mile run the day of the rally and it held good. you can see the arm working up and down as your riding. it works good and I hope you like it.

Attachments

themcgyvr

Oct 28, 2008
new mexico
Anyone selling these bikes to anyone else should NEVER use the crappy two bolt chain tensioners. You could kill someone. Every build is different but surely if you're in the business can figure out something better than that time bomb that comes with most of these kits. Good job on the tensioners in this thread.

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Im gonna steal the chain tensioner idea. Its perfect and looks easy to make. I also have an electra coaster Flat black, 15" apes. Cant wait!

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
How do you cut slots in that brace for the tension wheel? I love this design, but I don't know how to make that cut? Did you drill 2 holes and use a file to connect the holes?

ThatPerson

May 11, 2009
Southport, NC
How do you cut slots in that brace for the tension wheel? I love this design, but I don't know how to make that cut? Did you drill 2 holes and use a file to connect the holes?
My Uncle and I made a tensioner like this for his new bike. We drilled 2 holes and then drew lines for how wide we wanted the slot then took a jig saw and cut just inside the lines, then used a file to finish making the slot so it was nice and straight.

thine82

Nov 26, 2010
kingston ny
why cant we just use another derailer on that side and adjust it with a old skool gearshifter that could be on the top of those pipes on the vframe.. or just run the cable up to your handle bars.. just thought about that.. might have to bend the miny sprockets or something so it could go up and down instead of side to side..??? lost myself now..lmao..

garystoltz31

May 15, 2011
pacific wa
did u have that motormount made or where did u buy it at i have a electra beach cruiser and im having problems mounting the motor if u could let me know i would appreicate it thank u