My first of Many : Iron Pony

GoldenMotor.com

Foximus

Sep 28, 2009
Orlando
Just got the motor in 2 days ago. Before I tear it down and start blue printing and building it, I decided to install it and get a good base line feel.

The frame is a walmart $85 Ocean Pacific beach cruiser. Forks are something I built out of some pit bike tripple tree parts and steel tubing I welded up, bent up a fender and slapped that on.

Decided to go with a soft mount setup, so I cut out some tabs and welded them up. Deffinately have to go to a harder durometer rubber next time as these are too soft, the motor torques sideways a bit when starting.

Still have to hide the wires and other cables but you get the general Idea. Its getting torn down either tomorrow or the next day to start blue printing. I had a little trouble yesterday with the bike not wanting to start after running. Not actually sure what the issue was, I thought it was a snagged ring, or a crank with bad tolerance.... it just seemed to need some urging. Eitherway, it runs fine tonight?

Attachments

Last edited:

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Man I wish Wal Mart up here had frames like that for 85 bucks...sheesh! Nice style you got happening, the forks suit it to a tee. I really like the motor mounting too...slick idea.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Fox,
Everything is looking great so far but please tell me you're going to secure that chain tensioner bracket to the frame so it doesn't come loose and screw up your rear wheel. And...do you have any plans to use that red fuel tank I see in the junk pile? That would look good on that bike. I really like the bars. Keep us posted on progress.
Tom

Foximus

Sep 28, 2009
Orlando
No plans to use that tank, it is a bit to big and bulky for my tastes... though i did mock it up.

A side note, I cut the catalytic converter out of the exhaust. I actually had no idea there was even a cat in this thing at all... i stumbled upon it because I thought there was a clog in the exhaust due to the canister blueing after 5 minutes of riding. Very large improvement for a muffler that doesnt really function at all as a expansion chamber....

Yea, about the chain tension bracket... thats getting scrapped as soon as I figure out a real permanent way to mount it. the rear coaster brake rim is going too as soon as I get a disk brake rim... the crap rubber mount is going too as I cant seem to get 0 deflection on the sprocket, the chain keeps popping off randomly.

THe mounts I used are to soft, the motor torques around a bit, I need to go to high grade polyurethane bushings.

Im going to start building a REAL expansion chamber this week, and then let the porting and blue printing begin. (the downside I just realized is Ive been working with large bore 700-800 cc 2 stroke motors for so long I forgot I dont have any porting tools that fit in these small displacement motors... I have to go buy some... ugh.)

Foximus

Sep 28, 2009
Orlando
So the problem didnt go away. As soon as the bike gets up the running temperature the motor locks up, even in mid cruise. Lets see if the seller will refund or exchange... I dont feel like tearing apart the bottom end of a brand new motor already.

After it heats up I will not be able to start it. I cant even spin the crank from the stator nut... its rediculous.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Foximus,

I have a ton of stuff here!

It might be worth it to make the drive over to Clearwater.

I realize you are already experienced with 2-cycle engines, but I can show you some stuff about these that will accelerate your learning curve X10.

I have plenty of new bits and pieces that I will donate to your project. :D

Jim

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Ya know - the triple tree you made defo makes the bike, the mounts may some of the best I've seen but the front makes that beach cruiser hot!

Foximus

Sep 28, 2009
Orlando
Jim, I'd love to have a good indepth talk with you about these, maybe in PM?. Looks like I'll be keeping this motor... later tonight I'll be pulling the cylinder and setting it up in the mill to get it ready for a real reed valve setup. Also I'm waiting on a new 90* 1/8 porting tool as my 1/4" stuff just wont get the job done on this small stuff. By next week the engine should be ported, blueprinted and I should be started on a tuned exhaust. In 3 weeks it should be finished, pretty, fast, and ready to sell if i get bored with it. Then I'm gonna start building my monster Ultralight MX bike.

Last edited:

Foximus

Sep 28, 2009
Orlando
Got the bike all cleaned up, painted and nicely wired tonight. Gonna take it to campus tomorrow...

Also picked out and purchased the stamp blanks for my exhaust.

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
i guess i'll have to continue rolling my own, but the extravagant pie cuts in the taper sure are annoying

Foximus

Sep 28, 2009
Orlando
soooo... just discovered today that my motormounts really do work good... the bike rides smooth.

Oh, and it cracked the 1.5" diameter tube right in half.

foureasy

Jul 9, 2009
tucson
mine took a little longer but still cracked the seatpost tube above the rear motor mount. i hammered some tubing down the seatpost tube until it lined everything back up, then tig'd it with brass rod. still seems to work.