Reasons for riding Motorized Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

jhammondcpa

Apr 17, 2014
Maryland
I built my MB as a winter project, but soon found to ride on our streets it needed a tag and insurance. I gladly complied and now have 350 miles on the bike. I am working my way up to a 50 mile round trip, but traffic and routes take planning. I do agree that the praise and questions from strangers is the best part of any trip!

HackD

Oct 25, 2014
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
My reasons are wide and varied.

I have (had) been a motorcyclist for the past 25 years .. starting on a scooter that was a few years older than me at the time, the latest being a heavyweight sports sidecar rig that i put together over a few years of garage time. I still have it, but it's hibernating in the garage now - a health crisis starting a few years back, going "house-poor" (slave to the bank on the 25 year plan) and a sort of mid-life crisis all going on all at once, saw my former motorcycling passion, along with the attendant related expenses like insurance, maintenance, gas, registration, etc etc put on the back-burner.

I have flitted with MA bicycles for a bit now, though. My first experience was with the incomplete remains of a Bianchi Aquilotto (http://www.mopedarmy.com/photos/brand/144/14724/) in the early 1990's while in my mid-20's, that i had fished out of someone's garbage a few doors down. A few hours doing some McGyvering with a rigid MTB, saw me doing 60 km/h down the black-top with a big foolish grin on my face. I think i was hooked then..

I built my first purpose built MA bicycle about 5 years ago - therapy for a period of time in which my legs were failing due to need for hip replacements. I could ride a bicycle again, albeit the initial start up was a ***** to do, as a total gimp reliant upon canes otherwise!

Recently - even though i still have, and use that first Nishiki MA-MTB, I was getting drawn towards the relatively new Motopeds .. it was calling to me in the worst way. It took a few weeks to realize - I already have a few older versions of this in the fully motorized variety of a Honda CT70 and C70 .. both presently not being used! What is used, is the Nishiki - but i knew it could be improved upon.

So here we go again, back into the cycle, literally and figuratively.

At their base level, they appeal to me for the McGyver'ish tinkering opportunities - the chance to fling metal shavings around the garage making this part or that. The chance to mis-place a tool that i just had in my hand a few minutes ago. A chance to spend quality time thinking and doing something, that does not involve real-world pressures - relatively cheaply.

The actual riding, is almost an afterthought. I only have three or so tanks of gas in the Nishiki since putting it together - mostly in part due to those same health issues that made me seek out a build as 'therapy' in the first place. They are illegal to ride on the road in these parts (Ontario, Canada) - but there is a fairly large forested area right next to my home, that is beckoning me.. the Nishiki was/is limited in that department to handle off-road. The legs are getting stronger - opportunity, and a long winter, knocks!

Mean.motor

Mar 14, 2014
Brampton, ON
My reasons are wide and varied.

I have (had) been a motorcyclist for the past 25 years .. starting on a scooter that was a few years older than me at the time, the latest being a heavyweight sports sidecar rig that i put together over a few years of garage time. I still have it, but it's hibernating in the garage now - a health crisis starting a few years back, going "house-poor" (slave to the bank on the 25 year plan) and a sort of mid-life crisis all going on all at once, saw my former motorcycling passion, along with the attendant related expenses like insurance, maintenance, gas, registration, etc etc put on the back-burner.

I have flitted with MA bicycles for a bit now, though. My first experience was with the incomplete remains of a Bianchi Aquilotto (http://www.mopedarmy.com/photos/brand/144/14724/) in the early 1990's while in my mid-20's, that i had fished out of someone's garbage a few doors down. A few hours doing some McGyvering with a rigid MTB, saw me doing 60 km/h down the black-top with a big foolish grin on my face. I think i was hooked then..

I built my first purpose built MA bicycle about 5 years ago - therapy for a period of time in which my legs were failing due to need for hip replacements. I could ride a bicycle again, albeit the initial start up was a ***** to do, as a total gimp reliant upon canes otherwise!

Recently - even though i still have, and use that first Nishiki MA-MTB, I was getting drawn towards the relatively new Motopeds .. it was calling to me in the worst way. It took a few weeks to realize - I already have a few older versions of this in the fully motorized variety of a Honda CT70 and C70 .. both presently not being used! What is used, is the Nishiki - but i knew it could be improved upon.

So here we go again, back into the cycle, literally and figuratively.

At their base level, they appeal to me for the McGyver'ish tinkering opportunities - the chance to fling metal shavings around the garage making this part or that. The chance to mis-place a tool that i just had in my hand a few minutes ago. A chance to spend quality time thinking and doing something, that does not involve real-world pressures - relatively cheaply.

The actual riding, is almost an afterthought. I only have three or so tanks of gas in the Nishiki since putting it together - mostly in part due to those same health issues that made me seek out a build as 'therapy' in the first place. They are illegal to ride on the road in these parts (Ontario, Canada) - but there is a fairly large forested area right next to my home, that is beckoning me.. the Nishiki was/is limited in that department to handle off-road. The legs are getting stronger - opportunity, and a long winter, knocks!
Hey, i just moved from hamilton last year, rode my MB everywhere, took it on those crazy red hill valley trails alot. Even met up with a 110cc dirtbike and we booted around for a bit as i was new there and he showed me the trails. Just be careful as there is a few parts that are pretty hairy. You say theyre illegal? I never had issues and saw police a few times. Did i miss a bylaw or something? I was gunna ride my bike from hamilton to brampton even. .wee.

HackD

Oct 25, 2014
Hey, i just moved from hamilton last year, rode my MB everywhere, took it on those crazy red hill valley trails alot. Even met up with a 110cc dirtbike and we booted around for a bit as i was new there and he showed me the trails. Just be careful as there is a few parts that are pretty hairy. You say theyre illegal? I never had issues and saw police a few times. Did i miss a bylaw or something? I was gunna ride my bike from hamilton to brampton even. .wee.
It's not a municipal legal issue - it's an Ontario Highway Traffic Act legal issue.

They don't meet the legal requirements of the currently accepted eBikes - the only legally exempted form of motor vehicle allowed on public streets. They aren't registerable (no manufacturer federally assigned and registered VIN), no way to insure accordingly (legal requirement) and won't meet MTO/DOT mechanical fitness and safety requirements that are required to obtain both insurance and registration for on public road usage.

Whether the police do pull you over, is another debate. Some people seem to get by with luck on their side, ignored or not noticed by the police - other's seem to be found sooner or later, and given a slew of pretty expensive tickets/bike impounded by cops, with a particular hard-on for motor-bicyclists. I've first-hand seen people on our sort of motor-bicycles using the road-ways in my area, with seeming casual abandon - but there wasn't any cops around at the time, either. I've heard a few tales of legal woe, straight from the legally stung source tale-teller .. I value my licence, my relatively low insurance rates, and my career far too much, to be taking on the risks of going on the public roads with one of these. It's a "Roll the dice and take your chances, how lucky do you feel?" sort of crap-shoot.

When the no-insurance penalty is set at a minimum of $5,000.00 for first offense, upon conviction... yeah, you are pretty much boned if you find that cop/the cop finds you that wants to make an example of you/pad his ticket quota for the month. No insurance, registration, appropriate vehicle class licence, valid plates, plus anything else that cop decides to pile on in charges, can make for a real bad financial year .. or longer.

Onterrible is NOT motor-bicycle friendly territory.. you might find isolated pockets of tolerance, but the reality is - if a cop doesn't pull you over, it's likely because he/she has bigger fish to fry, somewhere else on down the road.

I haven't used my Mk1 version on the roads - at all. It's been used on private roadways, 99% of it's lifetime. The Mk2 version, currently in the works - is being put together with the Redhill Valley specifically in mind - I live just on the other side of the highway bordering it, with a direct access pathway/roadway less than 500 feet travel distance from my door to the trail access. Given even that - i have heard of police patrolling the trail-system on MTB's on the weekends .. mostly trying to ambush motocrossers, druggies, perv's, and assorted other Ne'er-do-well's that are using/misusing the trail-system. For that reason, my Mk2 setup will be as stealthy/understated as possible, to minimize notice - and used during 'off-peak' times when the cops are theoretically elsewhere.

FWIW, and IMHO.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Wow that must be a shock to your body, going from a tropical island wearing short sleeves to wearing snow boots and a overcoat.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
i just moved back to south west Michigan and i have to say i really miss my electric bicycle
Paul
You are close enough to me now to run down and take a cruise with 2door and myself come next spring or summer. In fact I travel up your way every year. Indiana Dunes, Warren Dunes, St Joseph and Silver Beach, Carlsons Root Beer stand in Michigan City are all places I like to visit each year. I actually do work work for a refractory company in Portage, IN called PYRO. So...perhaps we can get together someday for a cruise? I am about four hours south/west of you.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
been to warren dunes many times; lets plan something, i would love it. i have still after all these years never had the opportunity to ride with another motorized bicycle. I had to leave my bikes on the island but ordering another magic pie kit with the new led display today so i will be ready
paul

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Sounds great Paul. A Lake Michigan cruise next spring or summer sounds excellent. Get that new bike put together and later this winter we can start figuring out what would be a good date this next spring or summer and also figure out a good cruise route to ride. Maybe round up a few more riders as well? The only thing I will have to check on is to see what the Michigan Laws say regarding motorized bicycles? Want to make sure we don't get thrown in the clink for riding outlaw while I am there.LOL

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Don't miss the islands. an island 29 miles long and 9 miles wide after 7 years you been every where many times, islands are a place to visit to me not to live year round. i am getting ready to build a new motorized bicycle and looking forward to riding here this spring

HackD

Oct 25, 2014
Multiple reasons .. more than i can fully comment on, really.

#1 - I'm a motor-head, pure and simple. 2 or 3 wheels .. love tinkering with them. 4 wheels? Meh, that is for getting me to work and back so that i can continue to afford toys, so the dealership takes care of that.

#2 - My first love is for motorcycles in general, vintage or modern - higher powered and off-beat design (own customizing), the better. I still have my last street ride in storage, but reason #4 for MAB's, has taken care of that for now.

#3 - Always liked small displacement motorcycles. My first street licence-able ride in the mid-80's was a Honda C65 Cub, two years older than i was. My garage currently holds several Honda small displacement motorcycles - an early 80's C70 Passport, and a well-modded and over-engined mid-70's CT70 Mini-trail. I had put together a McGyver'ed motor-bicycle in the early-90's from a trashed/well-trashed Bianchi Aquilito, and i was hooked then.

#4 - Health. I can't really pedal a bicycle all that well anymore with double hip-replacements that didn't go as planned with recovery, going a few years back now. Other health issues mean that i don't have the stamina to venture out on a bicycle under my own power. For myself, 'motor assist' means just that. I don't really need to go warp-speed on a MAB - I just need to be able to enjoy the scenery going by, rather than suffering through it in pedaling through, in less than straight and level conditions.

#5 - A relatively cheap mechanical hobby - can't get much cheaper in spinning wrenches and flinging metal shavings in the garage, on the hobby level. I enjoy the relatively mindless activity of wrenching, as much as i do riding what results in 'project time'.

Chainreaction

Dec 14, 2014
Tulsa OK
I grew up kinda poor and kept an eye on the local trash dumpsters I could ride a bike to, one of the too few kindnesses my stepfather did was make a trailer for my bicycle. So I brought a lot of scrap stuff home including discarded bikes. Eventually I had quite the bicycle junkyard and was the neghborhood bike mechanic. If only my stepfather would have allowed me access to his welder and other tools.

Then I turned 14, got my drivers license, started working and left home when I turned 16, turned into a real mechanic. Legally emancipated at 16 and married young it was game on and lots of mistakes.

Now at 50 I have cancer that has got into my lungs, odds say I have a couple years at best to live. But luckily I had the foresight to build a little shop in the garage over the last few years. So I have something to piddle away at, something that will give me freedom and a way to smell the roses that I used to roar by.

Otherwise i'd have nothing to do besides sit in front of the TV and wait on the grim reaper. I love tinkering and making mechanical stuff, these MB's may actually extend my life.

Last edited:

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
Wow, bummer about the hips & lungs. No idea what drugs they've got you on,
but there's a fairly inexpensive herbal tea might give you some time,Chain,
if your doctor will clear it with what your taking. If Hack's not on Wafrin, it could
help him too. It's called Jaiogulan and good for the immune system, BP, & cardio.
Doesn't taste too bad. I've grown to like it. It also balances metabolism. My
circulatory system is so much better. In that respect, it's also good for type 2
diabetes.

jhammondcpa

Apr 17, 2014
Maryland
I always wanted a motorcycle but like many others guys I passed on the idea for family, money and life insurance! When I found out this past year about these MAB's and the inexpensive entry fees, a motor and a bike, I was hooked. I have 400 hours on my first bike which I built ground up and 40 hours on the new one which is a Phantom Ghost 26 which I bought already assembled, but what a great bike! I spent a couple years building an airplane which was quite enjoyable and lot more money, but dollar for dollar the bike is a blast! It is a great hobby, lots of satisfaction and just the right amount of tinkering! Here is a link on YouTube to my twins! https://www.youtube.com/user/JimConHam/videos ! Thanks again for your history and best wishes for a Happier New Year!