Motorized trike for a little old lady going to Burning Man

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Outside of the rear basket, which may or may not be an issue, it looks like Norm gave this a lot of thought. No clue if it has a centrifugal clutch, but I see a pull-start four stroke, and it, and the fuel tank, are raised so she won't have to bend over far. Good welds with Norm's attention to detail. It should be fairly reliable and a cinch to maintain. I think she'll enjoy it way more than those mobility scooters that so many people are getting these days.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I look at sweet lil lady and she ain't foolin me...you can see it in her eyes SpEEd!! You've got a repeat customer so get that 212cc ready! Also talk to Neal about another class the Trike Class!
You might want to take a 'Trike Class' as apparently you have ever rode a motorized adult trike.
They are damn unstable with an offset drive and there is no 'lean factor' for turns, they just tip over.

A 212cc engine?
Max safe operational speed is 20-25mph, about 5-10 in a turn.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
You might want to take a 'Trike Class' as apparently you have ever rode a motorized adult trike.
They are damn unstable with an offset drive and there is no 'lean factor' for turns, they just tip over.

A 212cc engine?
Max safe operational speed is 20-25mph, about 5-10 in a turn.
You need to get a sense of hummer ..master builder! I see you finally but out a bike with the white lettering on the same side...how does someone who now everything manage to not put tires on correctly?.... I don't care about tread direction ..it looks bad. So quit trying to correct everyone and worry about your bolt on builds. I don't complain but your a pain...

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Trike class maybe advised but I can tell you that a sidecar class is a must. Both Silverbear and I literally took a side trip into the woods before we were out of his driveway.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
This thread is so entertaining & informative. I've wanted a side car rig since I was a teenager, trikes and trucks as well... Cushman, Indian, Harley, Simplex etc. but never ridden any three wheeled transports. Curtis you,Ludwig and Silver bears stories sometime back of "quick detours" on three wheels got me thinking safety.
The issue now comes up again on trikes & I'm listening! Recently I was pulling a little trailer behind my "Indian Outlaw" 2 stroker. The load consisted of two 30" high boxes weighing about 50 lbs. total. I was riding in a stiff wind gusting to about 40 mph. I had only a few blocks to travel & remember thinking several times go slow & slower on the turns. It was good advice yet the whole affair went over on it's side during a "slow" turn. Though I didn't go down & the bike stayed upright, just the trailer and load went over. Lucky, certainly, but I'm sixty nine years old and still learning new ways to get hurt!

I'd humbly suggest listening & reflection as well as sharing our experiences with others. No doubt we will still often disagree but we will do so with reason and occasionally it will prevent us from spilling our load. Rick C.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Still learning new ways to get hurt! That's a good one! I am 74 and still doing it. Seems to easy to forget what happens and do it again, after a few years. Hurts twice as much now.

To do a trike right one should use a Go-Kart differential for Northertool.com , no scrubing around corners and bothe wheels drive, Keep the weight low..............Curt

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
OK. Guess what, I just bought the exact same trike (same color and everything).

I also have the same motor.

Any helpful tips on installation? I'm going to probably do the same thing

micheal

Apr 3, 2016
california
Great project! Have in mind to build similar trike. Have frame forks wheels engine and drive train but no clue as how to attach rear wheels to axle. HELP!! Please tell me how it was done in this project and where to look for similar solutions. Thanks Micheal

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
You need to get a sense of hummer ..master builder! I see you finally but out a bike with the white lettering on the same side...how does someone who now everything manage to not put tires on correctly?.... I don't care about tread direction ..it looks bad.
So quit trying to correct everyone and worry about your bolt on builds.
I don't complain but your a pain...
Hehehe, 'bolt on builds', I sure don't glue parts on ;-}

If you want to go fast and ride safe with 3 wheels you need a low center of gravity, period.
Kind of like this 1KW 48V 7-speed shifter I have in the build bay now for a 'little old man' that wants to do 40mph safely.

And he will be able to stop in a hurry with disc brakes on both back wheels and a caliper in the front.
Heck, it even has a mid frame pivot frame shock.
He will need it, it's going to be a frigg'n rocket sled.

Sorry I irritate you MotoMagz but I just tell it like is from experience, ignore my advice if you like ;-}

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
That build is awasome KC!!!
Thanks bud, it's coming along ;-}

I had to order new sprockets to get the gearing right, and then I need to tap 12V off the 48V for a 'lighter' connector for his oxygen system, long story, but I need to fashion a mount for the thing in back so it still needs a few days to complete.

Projects like this are what I truly love doing.
If the customer has a plan and the money, I can build it, and this has been really fun.

Far from cheap though...
Parts alone were ~$3K, but damn fine parts ;-}

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
KC I freely admit to a total lack of knowledge about recumbent bikes, but it looks awesome! Rick C.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
You go 40mph on that and the smile will go away first turn.
Who's testing it?
40 is for the straights, nobody makes turns at that speed, and I'll be the first one on it when the sprockets get here, I can't wait to ride this rocket sled ;-}