49cc Flying Horse 5G Pull Start Bicycle Engine Kit- 4 Stroke

GoldenMotor.com

Roninja

Jan 27, 2013
NC
Hello, I've ordered this motor a year ago and just now have the time and means to actually install it. I was going to put it on my old '80s Speialized Rockhopper. As I was attempting to install it, I realized that the pedals were rendered useless because of the wide motor. The main reason I'm going with a motorized bicycle instead of buying a moped is because I don't want to be fully dependent on gas in case I run out and have more distance to cover. I also want to be able to just pedal it through states that don't consider it legal to use a motor on a bike. Once I get it all set and running great, I'm contemplating riding up and down the east coast.

My question is: what's a good reliable bicycle that can handle years of hardcore all season riding while having a wide enough crank to have the pedals be usable with this motor?

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
It depends on what you like to ride bro. I kinda like the cruisers but you might like a mountain bike setup better. The 4 stroke is a good choice for long distance riding but you're gonna need a wide crank to get the pedals past the motor. BGF has one for around $40 after shipping.
The only thing I can recommend as for a bike, Use a STEEL FRAME. It will hold up better than aluminum on a long hard trip.
Heres the link for the wide crank. Good luck with the build bro.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/bicycle-Mot...847?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256c0e8cdf
fatdaddy.usflg
IT'S YOUR BIKE, BUILD IT YOUR WAY.

cmanns

Jul 1, 2012
Santa Cruz, California
RockHopper is normally a mix of metals, hard rock is steel I think.

I ride with a RockHopper, you'll need wider cranks as fatdaddy said.

Aslong as your not jumping it all crazy, I'd assume RockHopper would be fine, mine has bout 60LBS on the rear triangle parts and 2 bolts through the frame yet it's done well over 250mi, 50 or so of pedaling only motor off, which made things more loose then going 30 with the motor!

Edit:

How can you tell if wide cranks will fit your bike btw (Curious as I also have a rock hopper and am going 4 stroke some day)

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Hello, I've ordered this motor a year ago and just now have the time and means to actually install it. I was going to put it on my old '80s Speialized Rockhopper. As I was attempting to install it, I realized that the pedals were rendered useless because of the wide motor. The main reason I'm going with a motorized bicycle instead of buying a moped is because I don't want to be fully dependent on gas in case I run out and have more distance to cover. I also want to be able to just pedal it through states that don't consider it legal to use a motor on a bike. Once I get it all set and running great, I'm contemplating riding up and down the east coast.

My question is: what's a good reliable bicycle that can handle years of hardcore all season riding while having a wide enough crank to have the pedals be usable with this motor?
A), you'll need an aftermarket wide crank set no matter which bike you choose. As of yet, no bicycle manufacturers install bottom brackets on production bikes with enough distance between the pedals (also known as the q factor) to clear the wider motors. Going with a 2 stroke and a manual clutch, most bikes are fine. But the 4 strokes need bottom brackets with a wider q factor, and those are only produced aftermarket. B), Regarding state laws. Some states consider all bicycle motors illegal, and it may not matter if you're pedaling with the motor off, it may still be considered a motor vehicle (you might be ok, but I would do some extensive research on it). If you were to make this trip on a moped with valid tags registered to your state of residence, all other states will allow you to pass through. Now it may be possible to register your home built motorbike as a moped in your state, so I would look into that as well. Then you'll have valid tags when you make your trip down the coast. As far as gas is concerned, keeping track of your mileage, checking your fuel level, and carrying spare fuel will help you avoid being stranded. Some mopeds can be pedaled with the motor disengaged. That being said, you've already got the kit, it won't take too much more to get you going, and you've already made the smart choice by going with a 4 stroke. Good luck.

tim turbo

Nov 18, 2009
fergus falls mn.
Look at the Sick Bike Parts web site if you are looking for wide cranks. The wide crank that comes with the kit, the crank arms are ro short in my opinion! Good luck wiyh your build. And by the way thanks!

cargiboy72

Nov 29, 2013
los angeles california
I've been seeing good reviews on the Flying Horse 4Stroke 49 CC and by looking at an upload on YouTube where a Guy had one on his Mountain Cruiser and it was sounding smooth tho that's the motor &Setup that I wanna go on my Micargi Pantera 7Speed & After thar ima put up pics& let YALL know how it came out