what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Seems that nobody here knows welding? because no comments on my post.
It looks like the dropout stamping was bent when the weld was broken.
If that is true, straighten it out before having it welded.
I highly recommend that you TIG weld it, unless you know someone who is very skilled with MIG welding. TIG is better though, it can reduce the chance of heat embrittlement considering that you will be welding right on top of an old weld.
A reinforcing strap along the inside would help too.
Whatever you choose, if it breaks again it very well could cause a crash. Choose wisely.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

It looks like the dropout stamping was bent when the weld was broken.
If that is true, straighten it out before having it welded.
I highly recommend that you TIG weld it, unless you know someone who is very skilled with MIG welding. TIG is better though, it can reduce the chance of heat embrittlement considering that you will be welding right on top of an old weld.
A reinforcing strap along the inside would help too.
Whatever you choose, if it breaks again it very well could cause a crash. Choose wisely.
You may be better served by rebuilding the whole dropout section on both sides of the bike so you know where you stand on its strength.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Seems that nobody here knows welding? because no comments on my post.
Saw your post but had no real advice cause all I have, or know how to use, is an arc welder, which is not too good for the small, thin stuff. If I have something that needs a tig or mig weld I have a guy at a local muffler shop do it for me cheap. I welded a friends frame once, (in about the same place,) with my arc and it came apart again. Welded it a second time and it held, but this was on just a pedal bike, no motor.
I think GearNut gave you the best advice. The only advice I can give is that you have it welded by someone with lots of welding experience. Thats why, if it's REAL important that it's welded perfect, I have my muffler shop do it for me.
fatdaddy.

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando

Its been a 1,000 miles with not one problem. no break downs no flat tires! i just changed my drive wheel. i was using the delrin wheel that bumblebeebolton sends with the kit but i just upgraded to the urethane wheel. it works alot better.. i have had the delrin on for a thousand miles and its barely worn out my tire..the wheel wears out quicker than your tire so you dont have to change you bike tire all the time but the urethane does grip alot better with less tension but i noticed it does eat your tire alittle more..i have feeling in a couple hundred miles i might need a new back tire.but keep in mind it already has a thousand it!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

I scored a new two-stroke expansion chamber from the local scooter shop junk pile. I'll take some pics as I work it into shape. It has a nice fat short cone so I expect better low end torque and much better power on takeoff.

GAS+RIDEZ

Mar 31, 2011
Puerto Rico

That's what I say, I know we are a big family who share the same vein, Returning to the subject,GN.Both dropout stamping sides are equal but yes it looks like they were bent,dt.I thought of the whole dropout section on both sides of the bike but for it has to be someone with a lot of knowledge not to become misaligned,fd.verify what you said of the muffler shop and problem solved, make for another thing I saw here that decreased greatly the vibration"Engine mount",Thanks to all for your help.brnot

Attachments

borntofli

Jul 27, 2012
tx

I broke a couple spokes on my drive side of the rear wheel so had to take it all apart and replace them.....

Glad i've been collecting junk bikes for parts.....

Also had a sudden fuel starving problem.... Had fuel flow to carb, had flow thru the float valve but it would just starve, and or airlock and die....Let it sit for a minute and it would go....

Tore the carb apart , cleaned everything and it still did it....Tore it apart again and recleaned everything and it seems ok now...... hmmmmmmmm.....

Busy day.....

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

Fixed my clutch cable. It was loose and a strand had broken and begun to unwind, so I just unwound that strand the whole way up to the barrel, and cut the rest off the end where it had also frayed pretty bad. I had to shorten the cable sheath a little, but its fixed and I should get some more mileage out of this cable. I have another cable I can use, but it has a smaller barrel than the cable that's on there now. I also carried the bike up out of the basement, which was not all that fun, because the angle of the steps and the weight of the bike make it not all that easy. The bike had been in the basement since Sandy hit. The bike weighs a freaking ton. I think I may take the bike to the garage around the corner and see if they can weigh it for me tomorrow. I am curious to know what this thing actually weighs.

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

I broke a couple spokes on my drive side of the rear wheel so had to take it all apart and replace them.....

Glad i've been collecting junk bikes for parts.....

Also had a sudden fuel starving problem.... Had fuel flow to carb, had flow thru the float valve but it would just starve, and or airlock and die....Let it sit for a minute and it would go....

Tore the carb apart , cleaned everything and it still did it....Tore it apart again and recleaned everything and it seems ok now...... hmmmmmmmm.....

Busy day.....
Check the gas cap. The tank needs air flow. Bad tank vent (in gas cap,) will do just what you described.
fatdaddy.

VIKTR

Jan 10, 2012
San Diego

Fixed the throttle cable, replaced rear tire and tube

Considering an expansion chamber...

VIKTR

Jan 10, 2012
San Diego

Looks nice

All these cruisers are tempting me to motorize an old schwinn frame I have laying around

lksdG2

Sep 30, 2012
san diego

Did my exhaust using EMT and my mad welding skillz lol .weld

I've been wanting to go Springer front end but don't want to lose my disk brake, how it your caliper mounted? Did you weld the tabs on? I have a welder but would rather not weld onto brand new forks with my little chinga welder...

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

I've been wanting to go Springer front end but don't want to lose my disk brake, how it your caliper mounted? Did you weld the tabs on? I have a welder but would rather not weld onto brand new forks with my little chinga welder...
Hey bro, After looking very closely at the setup he has, you can see that it's a mount plate, attached through the front axle and kept from spinning by a bent tab. I don't know if he bought it or made it himself, but I've seen something similar on ebay.
fatdaddy.

lksdG2

Sep 30, 2012
san diego

Hey bro, After looking very closely at the setup he has, you can see that it's a mount plate, attached through the front axle and kept from spinning by a bent tab. I don't know if he bought it or made it himself, but I've seen something similar on ebay.
fatdaddy.
awesome thanks for that, it looks easy enough to make so ill probly try that

flotsamm

Jul 15, 2012
San Jose

Hey there.. for my front disc brake I made the disc adapter using some 1/8" flat plate I had laying around. I used the same concept that others have used that lksdG2 mentioned. Its completely bolt on, so no welding. One of the best upgrades so far, since its no fun riding if ya cant stop in time :)

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

Boygofast sells this one cheap enough. It also attaches to the front axle, and looks like a mount hole for a upper clamp or whatever.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/80cc-Motori...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item256b636043
fatdaddy.
I am using V brakes on a bike that only had coaster brakes and now has pedal crank swapped for dirt bike foot pegs.

Slower speed like 5 mph on dirt I can skid the rear tire. Together front and rear at like 10 mph can stop pretty good, but this is with my ratio at 40:1 parade speed set up. I will for dirt bike have 20:1 change over.

I see with 9 bucks shipping and some tax under 35 bucks.

I am going to see if there are any in local stores that can compete with this.

Apples and Oranges quality maybe have to make some adjust for comparison, but I when looking at drum brakes had seen usually from 50 on up to maybe 150 bucks and was quite against going to a more powerful stopping brake system.

I also like the idea that wet conditions are not as bad where the exposed components are compared with rim brake systems. Drum though with spoke lacing cost I know you can add to the cost where I can tackle the disk assembly I think!

MT

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.

Cut out my second bracket to support the other side of the engine. Now I need to get some angle iron to mount the bottom plate to the muffler clamps that will go around the tubes.

Please take a look at my build and tell me if I might need more support with the upright brackets bolting the engine in?