what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

What kind of hub are you using now?

Re: old style brakes. A lot of old brakes work pretty well with the right levers, especially if you chuck the old crusty blocks and put soft v-brake pads on them.

softee brake pads $2-3 pair www.niagaracycle.com

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Tnx Happy!

That's probably the wise option... :) I was wanting to make long spokes shorter, but I guess I should look for another option.

Wow! 2 - 3 bucks a pair for brake pads!!! Gosh, even I would buy new pads at that kinda price! I'll definitely look at the link u posted.

I was planning on getting some KoolStop salmon colored pads if i got $'s to spend on that kinda stuff. they are abt $8 a pair, but the mtb guys like 'em a lot.

Well, I got a little more done on the Southport today.
the 44T front chainring went by-by for a kiddie bike 36T with really short cranks and actually just a tad wider! bonus!

So the motor will sit real low without modding the frame.
I made this front motor mount to fit the large downtube.
Not really pleased with a few things about it, but it is as low as I could figger building a mount, without drilling the frame, or welding directly on the frame.
I wanted to use a U-bolt from the Ace hardware store, too, so it's available to everyone who might need one.

I had no suitable flat stock, so I used some angle iron from an old bedframe.
NOT wise to use rusty old stock... doesn't make for the best welds!
but it worked well enough.

Alf had mentioned cracked frames, so I designed this mount with a large pad that will spread out the bearing surface. Hopefully there will be no cracking problem!

I also made a saddle which I will weld on the U-bolt, tomorrow.
Then I'll bolt it all up.

The cut down rear motor mount worked fine with 1 shim, and I may have permanently eliminated my chain tensioner. When it does loosen up a bit, I can slip in a larger shim, and re-tighten the from mount. maybe I will need to put some shim stock under the front pad. I'll use a piece of Garlock gasket material that is firm. No rubber mounting type stuff for me!

I like the frame lines of this bicycle, but the overall look is not yet working for me... it needs something! After I get it running I'll fab a lean-back seat post.
OR, I might do a Nashmoto shock seat. Gosh I like his seat!

Best
rc

Attachments

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

I am REALLY trying to do the best job I can, eliminating the tensioner.
FAR too many of our riders send those $#@! things into the spokes, bind up the chain in between the rag joint sprocket and the spokes, locking up the rear wheel, and causing them to wreck the motorized bicycle with possible injuries...

I'm thinking (again!) that perhaps IF the seatpost was leaned back more at the top, chain adjustment could be accomplished by lowering the motor, sliding it down the post, as the chain stretched. And of course, to make the initial adjustment! lol

(Bonus here would be, increased seat to handlebar length, which is generally too short, for those of us using a motor assist, and NOT needing to grip the $@! out of the handlebars to motivate.)

I'll do a post on it when I get more details figgered out. It will require cutting and re-welding the frame, though.

There will be serious consideration of the Al.Fisherman's observation that a 72% frame angle for a chinagirl mount is optimal. Working in a V is the tough part!

Best
rc

Last edited:

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA

Spent the past few days romping around on my four Cranbricks- 'Beach Breeze', the blue and cream one that's my personal machine as well as the Panama Jack, the Kareoke and the Black Rat... PLUS, I bought the 24" Cranbrick that my local WM was discontinuing for $65... that will look CUTE with a motor... only to find out the hub is narrow between the rims. The diameter is right, but the width is too narrow for the Howard mount... so's I'll have to hand-crank a one-off for this particular bike... oh well, at least now I know how to do it... it's Cranberry metallic red with rich cream fenders and chainguard- once I match the red, I will do the tank that color with a rich cream stripe down the middle! Talk about sweet! Call it the 'Cranberry'... and see about some Schwinn Chrome cantelever springers for the front, THAT ought to make an impression!

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

There are lots of popular ways to get rid of the lollipop tensioner. You can make a slotted or multiple-hole flat bar, and connect it to the seat and chain stay with conduit clamps. Ian Hawker makes some nice ABEC bearing rollers, and engine mounted spring tensioners (the gear cover holds it on).

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina

Hi Rustycase. Tensioners have been an issue since MBs entered the scene. The problem is not with the theory, it's with the way kit tensioners are designed. Anything mounted to the frame that can rotate is a problem, it's just not going to stay in place. I have a Yamaha enduro with a factory installed chain tensioner that works great, but it's designed so it cannot move and get in the way of spokes and other moving parts. As HappyCheapSkate points out, the solution is to come up with a custom design that fits your bike. The pivot point needs to be stationary, and alignment needs to be correct. You can experiment with the length of the pivot arm and the strength of the tension spring to minimize drag while keeping the chain tight. Here are a couple I designed for my Stiletto bobber. The Giant Stiletto came with a 7-speed hub, so the rear wheel is not adjustable making a tensioner necessary. I used the derailler's threaded pivot hole as the pivot point for the tensioner and used a kit-supplied roller with bearng. On the front tensioner, I used the wheel off of the derailler. If it starts to wear I will switch to a bearing set-up. As Happy suggested, I used steel or aluminum strap for the pivot arm. I hope this helps.

Attachments

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

mmmm

Tnx hcs & sm (gosh, what a nice, clean bike!)

I'd better re-think this...

...got mcs out in the yard with, and without tensioners...
I betr spend some time settin' and lookin'
I'm pretty gud at that!

Tnx
rc

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

Another build out the door, great day out. Good times. :)

I'll update the build thread once I find it :p

Looking good RC!

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Oh, wow! That's really deluxe! I meant like this
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn210/Serenity151/vroom/DSCF0266.jpg

These are made for bicycle derailers, but should work for other uses on MABs, if no heavy load is applied on them (not sure if they can handle pedal starting).
Carmichael Sealed Pulleys
http://www.bikepro.com/products/rear_derailleurs/rear_der_jpg/uu_carmichael_alloy_pr.jpg

SRAM and Performance/Nashbar also offer some. They are usually $15-30 for a pair and will last forever on a bike. I had some on a road race bicycle and they did speed it up a couple mph, by less friction. They never squeaked or went dry either.
Hi Rustycase. Tensioners have been an issue since MBs entered the scene. The problem is not with the theory, it's with the way kit tensioners are designed. Anything mounted to the frame that can rotate is a problem, it's just not going to stay in place. I have a Yamaha enduro with a factory installed chain tensioner that works great, but it's designed so it cannot move and get in the way of spokes and other moving parts. As HappyCheapSkate points out, the solution is to come up with a custom design that fits your bike. The pivot point needs to be stationary, and alignment needs to be correct. You can experiment with the length of the pivot arm and the strength of the tension spring to minimize drag while keeping the chain tight. Here are a couple I designed for my Stiletto bobber. The Giant Stiletto came with a 7-speed hub, so the rear wheel is not adjustable making a tensioner necessary. I used the derailler's threaded pivot hole as the pivot point for the tensioner and used a kit-supplied roller with bearng. On the front tensioner, I used the wheel off of the derailler. If it starts to wear I will switch to a bearing set-up. As Happy suggested, I used steel or aluminum strap for the pivot arm. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Will that roobber coupling be fuel-proof, Happy?

It might get ate up!

Took the Schwinn Southport apart again, today, to tweak the frame.

Rag-jointed sprocket would not line up with the ht output sprocket so we aligned the tail section to match up better.

I held the bike horizontal, over a stack of wood blocks, positioned right behind the kickstand mount, and he stomped on the dropouts, one at a time, 'til we got where we needed to be. it worked out well.

Xcept... now I gotta dish the rim a bit closer to the chain so the bike will track properly.

Always something!
Replaced a buncha bolts in the rag joint... my kid swapped 'em out. He didn't keep it aligned while doing it, so it's got abt .090 lateral runout, this time around. Not terrible, but I wish it was better. I had it VERY good, yesterday... lol

If it doesn't rain tomorrow I'll have him take it for a spin, before we make any more changes.

I'm gonna try the coil mounted to the seatpost, up high... I think...

Best
rc

Scootmeister

Mar 15, 2011
North Carolina

Thanks for the link to the Carmichael Sealed Pulley, Happy. I like the fact that it's alloy and the sealed bearing should last forever. Have you dealt with Bikepro?

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

The rubber coupling should be fine. It does not hold the velocity stack on the carb, only tunnels air into the v-stack, and holds the filter screen. The point is to move the screen farther away from the v-stack, and hold a bigger circle of cloth to breathe through. Plus it protects the carb some from impacts if my leg hits the boot getting on/off the bike.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

No, but I can recommend Ebikestop(fast shipping), niagaracycle (great prices), performancebike, nashbar (real brick and mortar stores in TX and other states, as well as mail order), coloradocyclist (expensive), and cambriabike (kind of expensive).

Thanks for the link to the Carmichael Sealed Pulley, Happy. I like the fact that it's alloy and the sealed bearing should last forever. Have you dealt with Bikepro?

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

Oh, wow! That's really deluxe! I meant like this
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=11815

These are made for bicycle derailers, but should work for other uses on MABs, if no heavy load is applied on them (not sure if they can handle pedal starting).
Carmichael Sealed Pulleys
http://www.bikepro.com/products/rear_derailleurs/rear_der_jpg/uu_carmichael_alloy_pr.jpg

SRAM and Performance/Nashbar also offer some. They are usually $15-30 for a pair and will last forever on a bike. I had some on a road race bicycle and they did speed it up a couple mph, by less friction. They never squeaked or went dry either.
===============================

HC is that your picture:

I am interested in where you got the four clamps that go around the tubes on the left half of the rear dropout. They look like they are stainless straps that form a clamp but are not adjustable. They have black rubber insets that go between the metal part of the clamp and the tubes.

I expect I'll have to experiment to see if the size diameter and shape (round/ovalness) if there is a problem using them on a different application than chain tensioner for the amount of stress they can handle and also the bike tube I have tube differences.

I got some parts that clamp for plumbing of two types, but think I have seen this kind in the picture you posted and may try them instead as they are lighter than the cast metal ones I got. If so I may try to return to Lowes some parts and see if they have the ones that look good for the bike that are one in the picture you took of that plate mount with chain tensioner.

I am making a way to attach a skeleton cover that a fabric will go over to make an art bike vehicle to resemble a California Sheepshead Fish and this will be a way to attach the skeleton and make it removable as well.

MT

Last edited:

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania

I did a couple things over the weekend. Saturday, I did some maintenance work. Took apart my rear hub so I could check my bearings, because for some reason I occasionally get a little bit of play in the axle. Been that way ever since I got this rim around Christmas of 09. Anyway, bearings were fine, repacked with red grease and reassembled. Think I finally figured out the proper way to adjust the tightness of the axle. Also on Saturday, I adjusted my pedal crank and fixed my brake cable which was badly frayed. On Sunday, I stripped and scraped spraypaint off my gas tank. Its a plastic two gallon yamaha tank. I started out trying to strip it with brake fluid, but there were so many layers of paint from several bad paint jobs. I barely got through the first layer with a whole bottle of brake fluid. Ended up scraping the rest off. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get some new brake pads. Dont think I ever had new pads on this bike, since the handbrake was used when I got it, and I dont think I ever changed the pads. My cruiser came with a hole in the frame for the rear fender, and since I removed the fender, I discovered I was able to add a rear handbrake. I have had the handbrake for almost two years, so I am definitely due for some new pads. New pads should make my brakes rock solid. They arent too bad now, but I also have a foot brake. My next big plan is to upgrade my headlight. Currently using a home modifed bullet headlight that puts out around 6v. I have a 12v spotlight that my wife's brother in law gave me. Gonna get a 12v SLA battery and use the spotlight as a headlight. It shines about as far as a car's headlights. Gonna be a little while till I have the money for an SLA battery and a charger though.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

As I do very badly in cold weather my bike has been on hold...sorta. Winter expences about kill me and the lack of funds slow things to a crawl. But all winter I've been getting small stuff, nuts, bolts, header wrap, and last month a SA X-FDD Dyno hub brake for the front. Here recently I've been making up a template for the steel I'll be using for a motor mount. I was going to use a kind of lattice girder looking arangement for the mount but decided that the 2 lower mounts on the S5 E Morini motor just needs the 2 plates welded to the lower frame and seat post. 2 smaller mounting points on the top bar for the head mounting lug and I don't think it will go anywhere :) ...except down the road.

I am going to have to rework the ItaliJet expansion chamber tubing where it twists around in front of the motor. No clearance for the pedals. Get that done and the rest should be fairly straight foreward.

Looks like I'm about to start back on my build thread :)

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

It is not my picture. The clamps are called conduit clamps, though and come in 2 or 3 pcs in 1 pack for about $1.50-4, in different sizes. At Home Depot, they come in little ziplock bags, so you could try one gently and put it back to return it if it doesn't fit.
It came from thread http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=11815
I used 1 for my coaster brake strap. BEEFY. Coaster brakes are a death trap if the strap snaps! This big rubber coated steel strap makes me feel a lot better.

===============================

HC is that your picture:

I am interested in where you got the four clamps that go around the tubes on the left half of the rear dropout. They look like they are stainless straps that form a clamp but are not adjustable. They have black rubber insets that go between the metal part of the clamp and the tubes.

I expect I'll have to experiment to see if the size diameter and shape (round/ovalness) if there is a problem using them on a different application than chain tensioner for the amount of stress they can handle and also the bike tube I have tube differences.

I got some parts that clamp for plumbing of two types, but think I have seen this kind in the picture you posted and may try them instead as they are lighter than the cast metal ones I got. If so I may try to return to Lowes some parts and see if they have the ones that look good for the bike that are one in the picture you took of that plate mount with chain tensioner.

I am making a way to attach a skeleton cover that a fabric will go over to make an art bike vehicle to resemble a California Sheepshead Fish and this will be a way to attach the skeleton and make it removable as well.

MT

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Check for 12v SLA solid batteries at a car battery store that sells refurbished batteries (rebuilt). The one here sells them to me for $5 from a hospital supply. They are out of date so they can't be used for life-critical equipment, but still good for hobbys like CB radios or bike lights.

Use some kind of LED bulb with the spotlight, or under 15 watt like a halogen or interior automotive bulb, or it will just kill off your battery in no time.

I did a couple things over the weekend. Saturday, I did some maintenance work. Took apart my rear hub so I could check my bearings, because for some reason I occasionally get a little bit of play in the axle. Been that way ever since I got this rim around Christmas of 09. Anyway, bearings were fine, repacked with red grease and reassembled. Think I finally figured out the proper way to adjust the tightness of the axle. Also on Saturday, I adjusted my pedal crank and fixed my brake cable which was badly frayed. On Sunday, I stripped and scraped spraypaint off my gas tank. Its a plastic two gallon yamaha tank. I started out trying to strip it with brake fluid, but there were so many layers of paint from several bad paint jobs. I barely got through the first layer with a whole bottle of brake fluid. Ended up scraping the rest off. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get some new brake pads. Dont think I ever had new pads on this bike, since the handbrake was used when I got it, and I dont think I ever changed the pads. My cruiser came with a hole in the frame for the rear fender, and since I removed the fender, I discovered I was able to add a rear handbrake. I have had the handbrake for almost two years, so I am definitely due for some new pads. New pads should make my brakes rock solid. They arent too bad now, but I also have a foot brake. My next big plan is to upgrade my headlight. Currently using a home modifed bullet headlight that puts out around 6v. I have a 12v spotlight that my wife's brother in law gave me. Gonna get a 12v SLA battery and use the spotlight as a headlight. It shines about as far as a car's headlights. Gonna be a little while till I have the money for an SLA battery and a charger though.