Rock shocks for chopper forks!

GoldenMotor.com

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Hey guys I am intending to chop my forks on my OCC, then I want to add Rock shocks. Anyone have suggestions about anything I should be aware of? Also, would the front rake cause any issues with this install?

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
OK so here is what I have so far as to show you guys my intentions, I do not have a lot of Exp with welding so no need to flame me if you don't like the idea, just respectfully tell me if the idea is not good and why.

Attachments

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I have road on rock shox for years. There is some flex on them when you get on the front brake. I am not sure if they can handle that much of an angle? I would get a hold of the manufacture before purchasing them. I though I had a phone number I can't find it.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I have the Shox they are being canabalized off of my old Honda Racer :( tis a sad day to tear that bike apart but it has paid it's dues. I jumped off the roof of a building with it and rode away with no problems. Mine have never flexed with the front break, the tolerances are very tight, very high quality.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Not trying to say yours weren't quality, but that bike is the most amazing machine I have ever rode. Thanx for the heads up though I do appreciate it I will keep it in mind and if it breaks or doesn't work I'll think to myself "well GH told me so" But I have to try!:)

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Any dual crown fork (Rock shox world cup, rock shox boxer, Marzocci Shiver, etc) should be strong enough, If you have a threaded headset, you can still find some dual crown forks around on EBay. Good luck.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Actually a lil bit of a liar there I didn't just ride away with no ill affects after the jump off the roof. Bike had no ill effects, however my legs gave a bit and I donked my jewels rather good. I still just rode of but it was slowly what I like to refer to a "bicycle limp" lol

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Anyway, um the rake on the OCC schwinn is not very severe. I honestly don't think the stress will be too much. What I think I'll do though is extend the inside bar on the Shox so it will go further into the OG forks probably about half of the remaining length after I cut them. Then I'll use the same basic Idea as before accept I'll put a few extra Tac welds in for good measure. I am rather confident it will be alright, then I'll start on modding my rear end to a soft tail!

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
i thought this would be a great idea too,but after tweaking the length of the forks and trying to dial it all in ultimately using a springer front end is the better way to go with the occ schwinn. the problem i came across the most was there is no way to use the front suspension properly at even the stock angle.if you want to try heres what i did RED'S OCC FORKS ?(west coast vs east coast)?

or RED'S OCC FORKS ?(west coast vs east coast)?

im in the middle of a homemade springer design right now that i might try to use some of the same parts to save some money.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
AAhh, I do see anotherwords because they are already designed to absorb so much straight downforce by you just getting on the bike, that on a rake and they just arent very effective? I have to mull that one over, Thank for the all the advice and help everyone, not sure what I'm gonna do at this point. Maybe I'll build a springer too!

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
AhA!!! I figured it out, Already cut and measured the Shox. I will be doing a hybrid Springer/Rockshock. I will not be cutting the original forks, instead I have cut the shocks so they will mount just 2 1/2' forward of the originals welded to them. Then they will be set up on a pivot like a springer. It looks gorgeous, keeps it cleaner looking than a standard springer I think. I will post pics when it is done!

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Ok so here is the basic Idea at he bottom of the Shox there will be a pivoting arm like a springer. This will add about 3 inches to my wheel base. The softtail mod should add another 5-7 depending on where I put it. Anyone like this idea?

Attachments

Last edited:

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
One thing though. That is just a mock up so I could get the shocks to chill for a pic. They will sit a little further forward and rest the wheel about an inch lower than stock. I will chop off the old wheel connection except for a piece small enough to run my pivoting arms off of

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
my forks failed me today completely broke while i was doing 10 mph or so, launched me off the bike and im perrty beat up.im going back to stock and will never trust engineering a front end again, meanwhile im saving up for the long springer front end from us choppers. so be careful with yours, i know there really is no way to be,but keep it in mind. now if you excuse me ive got a bottle of pain killers to eat to shake the pain off.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Ok so here is the basic Idea at he bottom of the Shox there will be a pivoting arm like a springer. This will add about 3 inches to my wheel base. The softtail mod should add another 5-7 depending on where I put it. Anyone like this idea?
I thought you were talking about shox like this one.

Attachments

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Umm I guess I startted a few to many idea threads with this. I have mine completed and they are doing alright. I am going to do a little more to re enforce the bars but I'll let you know if I have any trouble. When I get done I'll have my fattest friend try it ballz out arount a tight track and if its good then it will be good enough for me. I got some big ass friends! Check out my OCC full suspension chopper thread for pics.

BrettMavriK

Oct 3, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
Yeah,
Outlaw told me of his accident which was the culprit of something he built for his bike that failed.
Sometimes lessons can be lightly learned; other times they can be Fatal....

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Young Guys, if you are going to be welding and fabricating things
for your bikes and you do not posess years of mechanical and
metal fabrication knowledge,

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS

Show someone else WITH EXPERIENCE
what you are building or thinking of building.
Get It Checked Out For Safety's Sake.

Start a thread, private message someone whom you know has experience in
bike mechanical and fabrication, or go ask someone locally.

Or Very Realistically, The Next Ride You Take Could Be Your Last......

No Foolin'!

An Ounce of Prevention Is Worth a Pound Of Cure.

Last edited: