clutch adj?

GoldenMotor.com

flathead31coupe

Nov 19, 2008
usa
what the best way to adjust a new engine installation, to be able to use the lever so it will disingage to let you ride the bike, or let it idle

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
It's not that hard but you need three hands.Try to get rid of all the play by pushing on the lever and then give it an extra push to account for stretching and stuff. Slide that cable end on as much as you can and tighten it up .Try the clutch and see if you are close, you may have to repeat the above again but by then you will see that you are getting somewhere. I try to use the adjuster on the clutch lever for fine tuning only because I find they are too cheap and the threads tend to strip

flathead31coupe

Nov 19, 2008
usa
so push the lever in as much as i can,and while holding it there, pull the cable through the lever and tighten up the set screw...

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
You got it!
Don't forget the spring. This is where that third hand comes in handy...lol
There will always be a little pressure on the cable, you don't want to be able to jiggle the lever at all when you are done.
You'll get it.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
All I'm saying is that there should be no play in the cable with a slight bit of tension. You can always adjust it again, it's not a one shot thing. You will know if it's working.

flathead31coupe

Nov 19, 2008
usa
iam all done, and have ridden it, works great, just wasnt sure on the cluch adj. this is my third build, its a early firestone bike...

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
cool...if i made the arm longer, would it be easier to pull....
My lever is a brake lever and is smaller then the stock. I can pull it with one finger.

Keep your clutch cable lubed and to not tie it to the frame in to many places, and make sure the cable is not kinked anywhere. The straighter you keep the cable, the easier it will be to pull.

flathead31coupe

Nov 19, 2008
usa
My lever is a brake lever and is smaller then the stock. I can pull it with one finger.

Keep your clutch cable lubed and to not tie it to the frame in to many places, and make sure the cable is not kinked anywhere. The straighter you keep the cable, the easier it will be to pull.
did you do any mods to it....