I've shrunk my wheels!

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Well...no....I didn't really shrink them. I simply downsized to 24 inch wheels.

Being a six footer, going to 24 inch wheels is the sort of thing that I might never have thought of. But ever since my first MB I've felt that 26 inch wheels were just a bit tall and narrow for this job. I've craved something with more 'footprint' for it's height. So I bought a couple of wheels.

The rear is a single-speed hub with 12 guage spokes and 24 x 2.124 steel rim. My one disappointment is with the hub. The website had the word "shimano" in the description. So I expected a Shimano CB-E110. I got something that I don't recognize.

01 HiStop hub.jpg

Still......the parts feel as though they're decent quality. I guess I won't worry and I'll just see how well it does.

The front wheel is a 24 x 2.125 with 11 guage spokes and a Sturmey-Archer drum brake.

One benefit to this conversion, of course, is that now there's more clearance between the tires and the frame. I've now got plenty of room for one of those fake oil tank/utility boxes right behind the seat tube, for instance. Maybe that'll be my tool kit sometime in the future.
02 Fenders need adjust.jpg
03 Fenders adjusted.jpg
04 Another angle.jpg
At this point I've taken her out for one pretty short test ride. The difference in 'feel' of the bike is subtle. I'll know more when I get it out into the real world. But it did seem to me that it'll feel more solid when I come across that hard-packed snow and ice.

And I doubt if I have to worry about wheel strength anymore as long as I'm not downright abusive with it.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
That offers up excellent utility Blue. I like it, you will too 24 " drive wheel 44T sprocket should give more tourqe less top. That and the front drum is exactly what you want with a tow machine. I did a disc front on another bike am not totally pleased with.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yes. She's already been a good load hauler.

I took it out this evening for a light grocery run. The run up to this particular store is not as rigorous as my work commute. But it gave me some notion of how she'll handle.

And I think I like it. She was nice and solid.

It's a bit too early to make definite pronouncements. But I just might be done with 26 inch wheels on motorized bikes.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
i'm planning a 24 conversion eventually. only problem my wheels are old s7 and there is only one kind of tire I can use with them. i may have to sell them to a schwinn collector and use the money to buy some new, wider wheels. I agree with you, 26 inchers look too big.
BTW what kind of frame is that? I always wanted to do a step through frame motor bike but I never saw one that would work

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
The frame is an old Huffy. I can't give it a definite date. But it's an American made Huffy from the Dayton OH days. Probably towards the end.

I've got a photo from the time that I looked at that frame and said, "Hmmm.....Can I do something with that?"

I think the inspiration came when Intrepid Wheelwoman set out to build a faux Rudge. I'm pretty sure that's what made me turn to this frame and start thinking.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=51463

Huffy engine mock-up.jpg

This view isn't good enough to really identify this bike. But you might recognize some of the decals and such. There are still Huffys of this era to be found.