If you had it to do over again ...

GoldenMotor.com

bjaspud

Feb 12, 2009
cleveland oh
Hi, I'm a newbie here. I've been on-line for a few days soaking up as much knowledge as I can before posting. First let me say that I'm hooked. I can't wait to order a kit and start building.

The first question is .... do I build using a single speed bike or do I start off with 10 speed mountain bike? Which should I choose and why? Pros - Cons?

Thanks,
Spud

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
hey spud. Welcome. It all depens on what you want to use ur bike for? My 1st build was a 21 speed mountain bike. And ill admit i never changed gear.
I think that if you got a old mountain bike the ones with the larger frame they engine should just bolt staigh on and be alot less complicated.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us.

Mine is a single speed, I would rather have a multi speed bike. I have a lot of trouble taking off from a dead stop. There are times at higher speeds I would like to pedal and help my motor out but I just do not have the gear to do it.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I'd find a dual-suspension 21-speed bike with disc brakes that'd accept rack-mount and frame-mount.

Rayzor

Feb 14, 2009
Bako, Ca
Im going to build mine as a 21 speed. My bike will be my only transportation anywhere and the gears do help a bunch up hills that your motor cant climb.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Worksmans Are Great! I have one I'm gonna stuff a 4 stroke into for a very good friend of mine! It's gonna be 8 speed Sturmey Hub w/ 11g spokes, front drum and suspension. Good times! Love the rear dropouts you can run a bmx chain tensioner on your axle!

Brisbanes right the old chromoly mtb's are a good 1st build! They handle well too!

Last edited: