Need to help out a fellow rider.

GoldenMotor.com

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Need to help out a fellow rider.(UPDATE! post #13)

I met an old, skinny tattooed rider a few months back and from what I can tell he's homeless. He has a phone but that’s it…….no access to the internet etc. I’ve been helping him with parts here and there but he says his engine is on its last legs and asked me to look into getting one for him. Any suggestion on where to buy just an engine and carb would be appreciated. His bike is his only transportation so I want to move on this….really nice old dude. Oh, we’re in CA.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Rose326 and BGF both sell just the engine for around $100...not sure about you being in Cal though...

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I'll give you one.

It's a Starfire and runs good, only a couple hundred miles. I gave up on 'em.

I'll need to remove it from the frame and ship it which I will also do at no charge.

PM me your shipping info and I will proceed.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I will remove it tomorrow and get it out next week. Need to find a box and pack it up.

It really does run good. The reason I will never ride these things again is here;

If this is an acceptable way to ship a motor that looks like this on the outside, I don't wanna know what it looks like on the inside. My life just ain't worth it. This motor has always run well, right out of the box, 1/8" offset in crankcase halves notwithstanding.

The motor is mounted with Sick Bike Parts mounts and I will put them in too. The CDI is soldered to the harness so that will be there also.

Good fortune to you and thanks for caring about people - :)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
My pleasure! Got it off, this is what I'll be sending;

I even put a DIY clutch roller on it which makes the clutch so much easier to use.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
It was a good day. Start of Fall, my favorite season. Took that motor off, took Bonny over to the world famous haunted Banta Inn for a burger and a beer. Then I filled up 2 toters with leaves and yard debris and packed up the motor.

That box was almost perfect! There was plenty of room too, so I packed in the carb.

It will go out tomorrow, help is on the way.

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Thanks to Mike, 'Scooter' has a new engine. Mike, thanks so much. He is really happy and has a bunch of great parts to work with. The engine will be well used....keep you posted!

P.S...The clutch roller is a real bonus!

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Thanks for the pics, good to see.

That motor has been run just long enough to be considered "broken in"

It started up easy even when cold w/o choke. After running an errand I'd go out for the ride home and the compression was so high it would skid the tire a bit before it "popped over"

So yeah, it's actually better than new. At least you know it runs - :)

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Mike and Gang,
I just got a voicemail from 'Scooter' and he is finally up and running. He ended up swapping out Mike’s engine fully and after waiting for a few parts got the bike on the road this morning. He sounded very happy and commented on how much power the engine had. Thanks again Mike, that engine will be truly appreciated. He has been peddling around on that heavy bike for a while now. I will update with pics.
Rich.