fuel line

GoldenMotor.com

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
hey guys, my bike isnt starting and i suspect it has something to do with the fuel line, the fuel line has no bubbles in it at all, and my fuel filter is complete full, is this a problem?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
no. that's good. if there's fuel in the line and filter, that means fuel's flowing from the tank.

if your carb has a drain screw in the float bowl (like the NT) you can pull that out and make sure fuel's getting in the carb.

if it's never ran before, try disconnecting the kill switch. that's a common problem, assuming you have a china two stroke...

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
my bike doesnt start at all, even thoug it has before, all the electronics are done correctly, i get a spark aswell,do you think the timing of the spark is off? thx for the reply

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
pretty rare for the timing to be off.

even though your wires look right, the kill switches often fail.

if it ran before, check the basics first. fuel and spark.

pull the plug, lean it against somthing metal with the wire attached and kick it over to see if you have spark. might be a bad magneto or cdi.

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
did u ever mess with th magneto? what kind of spark plug? running the crappy chinese spark boot and wire?

i had a similar situation before. Had a spark but engine would not start. i looked down and saw my wires got disconnected at one point. plugged it and it started! Another incident I had was the spark plug. chinese spark plug wasnt giving me "enough" spark till i switched over to an NGK. Then it hapoened again after the spark plug and changed out the chinese boot and wire with an automotive one and never had a problem again.

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Oh also, i messed wit the magneto at one point and the timing was off and the motor wouldnt start till i turned the magneto at a 1 o clock direction with the piston at the top and that fixed my other problem as wwell

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
yeah thx for the reply everyone, i have a spark,and i also have a ngk b6hs spark plug, i have the same spark plug cap and cdi, but, i did spray degreaser on the spark plug to clean it, even though, i did put the spark plug that originaly came in the kit in it, which i had never used before, and it still didnt start!, i just dont know what to do, and when ever i got to see my bike, i notice there is a mark on the ground of fuel, that came out of the exhaust, is it possible that my spark might not be strong enough? thanks for the suggestion people!

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
you said ur still using the stock spark plug wire? is the mark on the ground like a blackish dot? i used to have oil come out my exhaust everytime i let it sit. i was using 16:1 ratio at the time. i bumped it to 32:1 n it went away

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If the engine hasn't run yet and its dripping fuel from the exhaust your engine is severly flooded. That's why it doesn't start.

Here are a few places to start:
1. Float is too high or not floating due to a crack and filling with fuel
2. You left the fuel petcock open and the float valve didn't shut correctly.
3. Carburetor main jet is not screwed in and allowing too much fuel into the engine. This is common. The jet wasn't tightend from the factory and fell out. It will be laying in the float bowl.

Start there and let us know what you find. We're assuming you are positive you have ignition and the choke is open.

Tom

motorized kodiak

Aug 3, 2013
australia
yeah mate im running teh stock spark plug cable and cap, but i have an ngk b6hs in it, and i am also running 32.1 mixture, i have no idea why it doesnt start though :( :( :(

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
thanks 2door!, i might open my carbourretor and check if the jet is loose, do you have any tips for opening the carb,like is there any fragile bits?
We don't know what carburetor you have but there is no trick to opening one up. Typically there will be two Phillips head screws that hold the float bowl on and that's all you need to do to see what's on the inside.
If you have the NT style, the main jet screws into the carburetor body from the bottom up. The float is the plastic donut shaped thing that you'll find in the bowl. make sure it doesn't have any fuel in it and will float when dropped into a container of gasoline.

Good luck.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
when taking the bowl off an NT or similar clone carb, it helps to hold the tickler button down while removing the screw on that side - I've seen folks break that button with their screwdriver while turning the screw