Finally not so lonely!

GoldenMotor.com

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Yah, definitly gunna wait till I mess with the exhaust, will do that after the break in, and have had some miles under my belt! But it is still cool I think!! Sorry to go off topic there but mopar is the sh*t and love them to death, I think they were the best looking body builds back then! I hear they are gunna make a new charger that is closer to the body style of the 70's and 71's kinda like they did with the new challengers! That would be awesome!!!!

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I haven't heard that but Dodge kinda screwed up with the Charger in 05 by giving it 4 doors as opposed to 2. I mean, the Chally took off and I think the Chally, even tho it's technically like 7 years old, still looks great and they did a great job pulling that off. :)

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Don't use rubber!
What's wrong with the innertube piece? I use it on my tensioner and it has never moved, the rubber actually sticks under pressure, without rubber, if your bolt loosens, your F*****!
I usually find they need a bend towards the wheel, and a twist to line things up. I use BIG crescent wrenches and LOTS of elbow, but heating it cherry red makes it easy to bend.
No need to heat it.
Eyeball it ON the frame,then remove it and bend it OFF the frame until it lines up
Bending it on the frame is easy, that's why the adjustable wrench, to put the stress on that, not the bike, and you can adjust it with the chain right there, ON the bike using channel locks or vice grips or similar..

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I've been running a couple hundred miles now, on a 4-bolt idler, and have never ONCE had the mount come loose. I don't know what idler you're using, but you've got other issues, man.

Even when I had my two bolt, it only moved ONCE, and that's because I had the long side on the outside of the frame, flipped it to the inside, never had an issue.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
I have a two bolt set up, and other than having to replace the bolts due to being crappy and stripping threads, I've always used the innertube piece and have never had any issues with my tensioner moving at all, ever.

So, I don't have any issues, man!

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Uhhhhh can we say confused! I feel like Sherri O'terri on saturday night live between the Night of the Roxbury guys!!! Going back and forth!! LMAO!!!!!! :p , I think it is a good idea and probably does work depending on the frame! My frame how ever is big and the idler barely fits between the grooves as we speak so I think putting a piece of rubber there its not going to fit right??? Hmmm maybe Im wrong?? Uhh what to do? Thanks guys! :p lol

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Oh and toadmund: I am so going to be trying that bend it on the frame method! I hope it works cause I didnt wanna have to spend money on a mini blow torch to heat it up, but will if i hav e too! I was having so much fun and thought this building a motor bike is a breeze, UNTIL NOW!! Flippin chain!! Flippin idler!! LOL :p

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
I found the bike you're using while I was at wally world today, frame is kinda fat in the back. Which would explain why the idler isn't close enough. You could try shimming the engine to get some distance back there if you have enough room in the frame.

Or you could buy a torch. Torches come in handy for lots of stuff.

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Dodgedude94 yes I did move the motor one I got carburator put together and attached on the motor, had to move it a little over cause with the way it was sitting the chain was hitting the back tire. So i had no choice but to move her from hitting that, now that idler is being my problem, but once I take out another link or two and bend it I think she is going to go fine, will be finishing that tomorrow even if it takes me all day! Will post pic when done! And toadmund; THANK YOU for the pics they are a huge help!!! So buying me an adjustable wrench tomorrow!!! Thanks guys!!! :)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You CAN weld aluminum with the proper type of welder, but you must use aluminum to fab the bracket if you wish to weld it. Cannot weld steel to aluminum.
You can use rubber, but I prefer better mounting myself as I dislike replacing rims.
Just make sure it WILL NOT MOVE whatever method you decide on.
And be careful bending that bracket on the frame. I've seen frames bend before the bracket does.

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Maniac57: Thank you!! Been wondering, I thought I was right about welding to aluminum! Thanks.. don't think the rubber thing is gunna work for me frame kinda big already and it don't move once on but definitely needs to be bend, I will watch the whole bending process tho!!! Thanks!!

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Ok so I got the chain and idler put on finally thought I had enough slack in the chain...NOPE, the master link plate and key popped off... You wanna talk about a woman on a mission, down on my hand and knees searching for it in the driveway!!! LOL.. yah I rock I found it!! And got enough slack now in the chain that I am hoping everything is good! Find out tomorrow again when daylight hits again!! Uhhhhhhhh!!!! LOL :p

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Make sure the master link is installed so the closed end of the clip is facing forward as the chain enters the engine drive sprocket. In other words when the master link is on the top chain run the open end of the clip should be pointing towards the rear of the bike.

Also, and I realize its a little late in the game but you need to do some reading here about fenders and how to keep them from becoming a safety hazard. Especially the front one. Fenders are nice, they look good and keep the mud out of your face but they can hurt you if the brackets break and they wrap around your front wheel. Use the search feature and read what others have done to secure them.

Tom

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo
Tom thank you for that, I didnt even think about the clip going a certain way!! I guess I thought it wouldnt matter, but went and looked at it, and flipped it the way you stated!! Thank you for that!!! I will definitely check out the fenders section and read up on that! Going to check that out now! Thank you again for the tip of the clip!!! I very much appreciate your help!! Thanks again Tom!! :)

rossrider

May 6, 2013
Lebanon, Mo

My fuel tank is on and attached, as you can see I had a problem with Big Frame, Little Bolts!! So I made a bracket for it out of the exhaust bracket! Works perfectly, DOES NOT move or budge!! And yes because I am a woman, more really bored and had matching fingernail polish I painted the bracket! LOL :p