First Injury So Far :(

GoldenMotor.com

jtgolden

May 31, 2011
United States
Well today I was unpacking everything out of the boxes to start on the secound bike and while I was cutting the zip ties that holds the throttle cable, throttle, choke cable, and cnsv2 carb i sliced my hand and got 12 stitches. always cut away from your body people zpt

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Oh thank heaven. I mean, shoot - that came out wrong.

It's just that the first thing I was thinking (after what happened to me) was: "Oh jeez, he got run over by a truck!"

Don't get me wrong, I feel bad that you cut your hand. I'm just glad it wasn't a truck. Keep it clean, keep it covered. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Jim is always on me about using the box cutter at the shop!

He always says the same thing cut away from your hands.

Karen
Jim is a smart man. I use knives a lot (mostly in cooking). I lost the one that I made. I'll have to forge another one. I sharpen them with stones and jeweler's rouge on a strop. I use a ceramic rod for touch up. Two things I know about knives: 1) There are more reasons to keep them sharp than there are to let them get dull. 2) Because of 1), always always always find a way to keep the edge traveling in a direction away from all parts of your body that you wish to keep.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
My dad always told me "If you don't know how to operate the tool, don't try to use it." ;)

I am sorry to hear that you got sliced. 12 stitches eh? Musta been a real doosey!
Like was said before, keep it clean, covered, dry, and I'll add that a little Neosporin will make it heal up twice as fast.

Aahhhh...... I recall the time when I put a drill bit through my finger....
Don't ask........ :oops:

transam8405

Jul 6, 2011
Illinois
Another thing is that there does have to be time for it to breath. I had 43 stiches in my knee from laying a bike down in gravel. I kept it covered with neoporin all the time and kept cleaning it with peroxide and the skin ended up ripping. Then the skin was dead so they could not stich it again so it had to be packed everyday. They said I needed to let it dry up now and then with nothing on it at all.

Just a thought

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
My dad always told me "If you don't know how to operate the tool, don't try to use it." ;)

I am sorry to hear that you got sliced. 12 stitches eh? Musta been a real doosey!
Like was said before, keep it clean, covered, dry, and I'll add that a little Neosporin will make it heal up twice as fast.

Aahhhh...... I recall the time when I put a drill bit through my finger....
Don't ask........ :oops:
transam8405, I agree Absolutely! Well said and recommended!

jtgolden

May 31, 2011
United States
thts what my girlfriends dad said all day i was asking him if he had a tool for this and that and he had everyone. when i got back he says to me hey i got a tool to cut those zip ties

bishop letov

Jul 3, 2011
Bucks County , Pennsylvania
haha.. Those zip ties are killers.. Got a cut from my first knuckle to the second on my left them from using a utility knife with sweaty hands to cut a stupid zip tie... Dikes were only two feet from me.. anyhows shouldve gotten 6 stiches.. all the way to the bone and bled for 2 days but no health insurance....

People... Stand behind us unfortunate victims of Zip tie violence and lets put some more legislation in congress to put warning labels on utility knives againts Zip tie.. You will lose against them.. LOL