Rant

GoldenMotor.com

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
I got a little frustrated with my chopper build last night. Had to step away and vent my frustrations. EVERYTHING on this project has been an ordeal.
The poor quality of the chinese kits never ceases to amaze me. I have replaced so much stuff from the"kit" that I have come to doubt the economy of the kits. I won't be using a china kit again. A large share of my frustration comes from using a chopper style frame with wide tires. NOTHING has fit without modifying,replacing or making myself. The only good thing from all of this is the experience for next time (if I ever finish this one!)
Sorry, just needed to vent. Back to work now.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sometimes a vent is in order...I find that if you use a 60's or 70's bicyclie the build goes pretty easy, but that gets old too.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
by building a chopper you are well into the custom everything realm. some choppers like the occ's there are mounts and jackshft kits ready made for them. if its a super wide tire chopper your on your own.
i applaud your effort and know you'll learn along the way.

a chopper is never a good choice for a first build.
these kits were made to fit old 70's 10 speeds and they are a good choice for a first build, once you have learned all the pit falls of a first build on an old 10 speed the next build will be ez.

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
I got a little frustrated with my chopper build last night. Had to step away and vent my frustrations. EVERYTHING on this project has been an ordeal.
The poor quality of the chinese kits never ceases to amaze me. I have replaced so much stuff from the"kit" that I have come to doubt the economy of the kits. I won't be using a china kit again. A large share of my frustration comes from using a chopper style frame with wide tires. NOTHING has fit without modifying,replacing or making myself. The only good thing from all of this is the experience for next time (if I ever finish this one!)
Sorry, just needed to vent. Back to work now.
I built one for my nephew.... I definitly feel your pain.

if you have any specific questions I might be able to help you out.

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
When I started this project, I was so excited when my kit arrived I tore into the box and tried to mount the motor. My joy quickly turned to shock as I realized that it did'nt fit....not even close. No problem I thought, I'll weld up a custom mount. So one saturday later I had my new fabbed and welded mounts ready to go and guess what? They fit and mounted the motor perfectly! Only problem was that I overlooked the fact that they needed to be offset to clear the rear tire! Lesson #1 learned.
Thought you all might enjoy that one!

vintage97302

Feb 3, 2011
Salem, Oregon
The great thing as you said, by the next time you build another...you will be a master customizer. Just thing the blood, sweat and tears the went into this...it will all be worth it. Would be much nicer if it fit together perfectly. What type of motor would you go with next??

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
Thats the funny thing, I got so frustrated on this one because it's not moving quickly enough to get to the next build! For the next one I would like to do something very retro. I really like the look of the old bikes that were the beginnings of modern motorcycles. I would like to find a four stroke engine that can be made to look vintage. I really like this old Crocker Racer.

Attachments

vintage97302

Feb 3, 2011
Salem, Oregon
Oh, that Crocker is very cool. Kind of like the early 1920's Harley look. Very cool. You could always find a Briggs or a Whizzer motor to slap onto it...there is just something about the look of those China motors that I like.