Be carefull leaving you bike outside, it might get sold!

GoldenMotor.com

SubCom

Feb 5, 2010
San Diego
I picked up a Felt 1903 build from a member of this forum along with an extra bike and two engine kits. In essence I got the 1903 with the tank converted 3 complete engine kits and an extra cruiser with front suspension shocks for $1000. I put a little TLC and a couple of parts into the 1903 and have been riding it around the neighborhood tuning it and getting it running well.

This morning I was cleaning out my garage and had the bike at the end of my driveway. A guy pulls up in his car and ask me if the bike was mine. He then tells me he saw me riding the bike a few weeks ago and had been trying to spot me ever since. Turns out he wanted to buy the bike and had been driving around with a chunk of cash in his wallet hoping to run into me. After a short discussion he offered me $900 for the bike. The irony is I had the bike up on Craigslist and had been dealing with flakes for the last two weeks when all I needed to do to sell it was leave it outside for a few hours.

My wife is no longer annoyed I dropped a grand on bike parts and I still have a bike and two engine kits sitting in the garage. This hobby just got more dangerous for me because my wife now believes it can pay for itself :)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Our neighborhood has an annual 'Garage Sale Day'. Just so happens I was cleaning my garage last summer on the same day when the neighborhood was full of deal seekers. I had several folks stop and ask what I wanted for the hot rod and three bikes that were sitting in the driveway while I cleaned the garage floor. I didn't sell anything but I might have gotten rid of the works if I'd wanted to sell. A few disappointed people drove away in disgust when I said..."Not selling, just cleaning".
Tom

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Buck, if they won't pay $300 for it then raise the price to $400 or $500 and it'll probably sell quicker. I know it sounds like a joke but I'm dead serious about it. Took me a while to learn that too, I had a bike for sale for $300 bucks, would have only made $50 off of it, it wouldn't sell, I raised the price just to see what would happen and two days later it sold. That advice came from members of this very forum and it works. Try it, what do you have to lose.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
You`d be surprised at how many people want one but don`t want to go through the hassle of building it.....They don`t care how much it costs, they just want one.....There`s someone out there with a pocket full of money.....

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'm sooo glad my "garage" is hidden away behind the house (ground level basement access) as I know from experience and stories like the above that were it roadside - I'd never get anything done lol

Geez - it takes 1/2hr minimum jus' ta get a cuppa joe in the morning, the ppl flattering it's tru... yet the clock ticks ever on :p

I've no interest, but I doubt sellin' my bikes would prove difficult (making any profit another story ofc) - a sunny day and a grin is about all it seems to take to get ppl wantin' one FTW

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
I had a guy stop and offer me $50 for mine.. when I counter offered $150, he offered $75 and I sent him on his way.. a kid in my town ( were a very small tight knit community and most everyone knows your name.. kinda like Cheers ) wanted me to build him 1 on his bike.. he was willing to pay $300 for it but he was under 18 so I turned down the offer

Flying O MB

Jan 18, 2010
Fort Worth, Texas
I have had so many flakes call from craigslist it is amazing. My MB is customized and pretty original. People tell me that there is no way to ask $350 for my bike. I give them the info of where to buy an engine and build there own. One gut even had the audacity to call me and ask for help after he told me I was asking too much but bought a kit and cant figure it out. I told him that I would help but it wou/ld cost him. All in all I helped him and he told me that he should have just paid me for mine. Mine looks awsome and his looks like a tweeker stole a bike and mounted an engine on it.