Why doesn't someone market a cruiser gas tank line?

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Am I just not informed?

I know theres a bike out with a built in tank- but you'd think with the growing popularity, someone would have a line of tanks to fit BELOW the top tube. It'd give us a real classic look, no?

I live in an apartment and I'm not a welder- so I'd be interested- I like to keep the weight and center of gravity low.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have one of those. It was not very well though out. The fuel fill hole is about the diameter of a nickle. You will need a funnel when you are at a gas station. :(

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I currently make them for the Schwinn straight bar frames and just welded up the first Worksman in-frame tank today. I will post pictures of this newest design tank sometime this weekend. I do not have a web site at this time and I do not advertise very much so that I don't get too much business. That may change, but for now my tanks are pretty exclusive. All tanks are CAD designed, laser cut stainless steel, and tig welded together.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
You can email me to discuss, but the Schwinn tanks are running $250 complete and ready to bolt on your frame. I also have frames available for about $100. The Worksman prices are still not locked in as I have not gotten my bill back from the laser shop. I know it sounds expensive, but if I were to list my costs and time you would quickly realize how much of a deal this is. Besides, once you are holding one of these tanks in your hands the last thing you'll be thinking about is how much you just spent. You will not be disappointed.

pdubs

Jan 16, 2010
chicago
great! :D you can probably lable it 'priceless'

i can imagine the time and labor invlovled for these tanks, again, awesome work!

so are you doing the CAD design and then giving the CAD plans to the laser shop?

TandocTools

Nov 24, 2009
KS
Sportscarpat's tanks are amazing. Order one now before people realize what they are missing and he has a huge backlog! I am speaking as a very satisfied customer!

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Thanks Warren. I have spent considerable time fine tuning my CAD programs. I give the CAD file to the laser shop and then they cut the stainless sheet exactly to my flat patterns. It really is amazing equipment. I receive the pieces back from the laser guys and then tack up the pieces to form the tank, then tig weld it together. After that I hand finish all the welds and grain the tank. Most people don't even paint them but just run them raw. The Schwinn tanks are made to look like the original tanks that came on those bikes. The Worksman tank is more of a boardtrack shape.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Here's the first Worksman in-frame tank out of my shop. This one is boardtrack inspired. 100% stainless steel construction.

neicull

Sep 1, 2009
Norfolk, VA
The market is developing for custom or aftermarket tanks for these bike kits but the manufacturing costs are outrageous when it comes to a reasonable final retail price. The problem is the kits are so cheap and it hard to sell a tank that will likely cost more then the entire kit. I've started marketing vintage gas tanks until I can figure out a way to have the Ghent tank produced for a fair price. We're getting there. One offs and vintage tanks will be the best bet for the time being. my two cents.

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
I researched the in tank motor bicycles and came up with Ridley they were sued and lost to Harley Davidson for being too chinese lookin Harley guys ganged up and snuffed it I can imagine there are some tanks or blue prints or patent pending's on all of these component's they seem to have a standard frame .the time frame seems to depict the 1914
and as of today I located a offshoot that is a designer bike available even on myspaceMySpace - Derringer Cycles - 30 - Male - California - myspace.com/derringercycles

Last edited:

kidcrash

Sep 20, 2009
gainesville, fl
I can not find anything about the dimensions of the bgf 1G long tank, got a mtb with control lines on top and need over a half gallon to get where I need to go. I mainly need to know how much clearance the carb will have.

E J

Jun 20, 2009
Orange County CA.
here is a pic of my bike I just moved so I have been busy with my new house I just started to work on it I hated to paint it but I did black and I'm going to put new decals on it E J

Attachments