Pea soup headlight

GoldenMotor.com

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I have the visor parts cut out and will likely solder them on today sometime after I get the ink cleaned off and the edges filed. The picture shows the visor template, the spacer strip and the visor part which is still covered on the one side with tool makers ink.

Last edited:

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Little update...

Got the visor parts cleaned up and soldered on now. Even though the boss thought the visor was a dumb idea I'm really liking how it's turning out.

It looks kinda sorta recycled retro maybe?? ...lol

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I like it a LOT! I've always been a sucker for visors on old-style round headlights :D

Very nice Rockenstein! Heh - you could put the "gem" in the middle of the visor... but perhaps that's just too retrorecycled :p

RaleighRider

Jul 3, 2009
New York
i,m still waiting for someone to make a sardine can magnito cover
I actually used a sardine can to replace the bottom of my exhaust when it fell out at 30mph and got completely destroyed under a car. I stuffed it with steel wool and stuck it on(fit like a glove) and just drilled small holes in the bottom one at a time until I was satisfied with the sound. Works great and only cost me 50cents. Always love making something useful out of something worthless.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I like it. What soup can did you use? (size/brand)

Have you tried the Niteize 1 watt LED light made for Maglites? Since you are not using the lantern battery case, you can use the LED (one way polarity, doesn't work on $1 store box light).

In another thread I posted a pic of the bullet type headlight that's slated to go on my Riff Raff bike...but...I was looking at it, and some other lights I have, last night thinking it just isn't doing it for me. That's not to mention that just about every custom bike I've seen lately uses one too.

So..

I have this NIB 5" round 6 volt sealed beam headlight assembly kicking around my shop and it looks the part but it is a little bit too large looking on the OD in comparison to the bike it's going on and too it sucks up 18 watts of power which of course presents some other problems that I care not to deal with. Now I was quickly looking over a 6v flashlight at a dollar store the other day, more out of interest in the bulb than anything, and then this morning I got looking at a pea soup can that was sitting on the counter waiting to get tossed in the recycle bin when the idea of mating the pea soup can with the dollar store flashlight came to mind. I went out to the dollar store this morning and bought the 6 volt flashlight :oops:

The lens on the flashlight is 4" and with the yellow plastic shroud it's about 4 1/4" OD in total which is about right in terms of light size matching bike size. The lens assembly fits inside the soup can just about perfect too...so...in the spirit of the apple juice can gas tank we might as well have a pea soup can headlight :D

Will post pics of how it all comes together...

christopher fowler

Dec 17, 2009
p a washington
Nice. I look forward to seeing how you attach it and with a final paint job. I wonder if there is some sort of chrome ring you could use to hold in the lens. That's a nice, clean cut on the can. How did you co that, with a cutoff wheel on the Dremel?
SB
dude,you are a master at the art of up-sourcing i look forward to veiwing more fine examples of your art!