JNM Damp-Pro AnyOne used these yet?

GoldenMotor.com

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
JNMDamp-Pro is not a mass loader. It is a constraint layer viscoelastic damper that converts the vibration energy into low level heat. This conservation of energy makes it 300% more efficient than traditional mass loadind tar boards
o_O ...and then this;

Viscoelastic butyl rubber - 99.4% solid content.

So essentially, it IS jus' a mouse pad despite alla fancy talk laff

I sprayed the inside of just the clutch cover w/a coupla coats of rubberized undercoating - cheap, quite effective, and best yet unobtrusive FTW ;)

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Troyboy sent me one for my favorite price....FREE! it is chrome on one side so you can put it on the outside of the right side of the case not likely a mouse pad is gonna last in there with all the heat these things generate inside or out of the case covers. I don't know how much these things cost but I like mine.

I put the right half cover on the outside due to clearance issue with the flower nut and stay screw.

I would imagine undercoating is gonna help except for the flower nut clearance thingy it is tight in there.

HAD THIS BEEN AN ACTUAL EMERGENCY.........

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Yarp - alla that's tru (cept the heat), and one advantage of that "kit" is ofc not havin' to do anythin' like cutting to fit... mebbe... but in all honesty just about anything ya do would be an improvement - I doubt this (the fancy kit) is any better or worse than any other solution.

I just don't want anything "stuck" to the outside of my engine, as much as I ride - it'd never last.

BTW with the undercoating and the flower nut, that's one advantage of a soft, spray-on coating - coat the inside of the cover as thick as ya like and even if something contacts it, it "wears away" leaving a perfect fit w/o hurting anything, any residue has no effect (doesn't manage to get into the clutch). If yer picky - a lil acetone and a toothbrush will clean up the "smear" on the flower nut.

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
Yarp - alla that's tru (cept the heat), and one advantage of that "kit" is ofc not havin' to do anythin' like cutting to fit... mebbe... but in all honesty just about anything ya do would be an improvement - I doubt this (the fancy kit) is any better or worse than any other solution.

I just don't want anything "stuck" to the outside of my engine, as much as I ride - it'd never last.

BTW with the undercoating and the flower nut, that's one advantage of a soft, spray-on coating - coat the inside of the cover as thick as ya like and even if something contacts it, it "wears away" leaving a perfect fit w/o hurting anything, any residue has no effect (doesn't manage to get into the clutch). If yer picky - a lil acetone and a toothbrush will clean up the "smear" on the flower nut.
I used the spray on undercoating and i gotta say it is a big improvement. Easy chaep, and you can really put it on thick. Gotta get 3M tho. then i like to spray dupli color truck bed liner on the outside. nice look with the texture very durable, and it says it reduces sound, so i figure reduceing it from both sides is better, seems to be really quiet now.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Seems like there's almost always a better way to do most anything...this kit is most likely the best way as it has been formulated to do just this job. I have no clue how much the kit costs it all comes down to how much you want to spend on a $100 kit to enhance some of the cheaper features like the kill switch...I fixed my kill switch real cheap I took it off.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
My mousepad has lasted two years.
Also, I would like to make a correction...use butyl caulking, instead of silicone if you want a fancy name.

jonyoon21

Oct 27, 2009
USA
I am also interested in this kit.

rkorson4209, can you post a picture of where you sprayed the undercoating? Would this go on the inside of the clutch cover?

Thanks

rkorson4209

Oct 10, 2009
michigan
I am also interested in this kit.

rkorson4209, can you post a picture of where you sprayed the undercoating? Would this go on the inside of the clutch cover?

Thanks
I just took off all 3 covers turned em upside down and sprayed em, sever light coats until it builds up. I notice the 3m undercoating is best for dampining sound on the inside of the covers, but is not that durable on the outside, unless you paint a few coats of reg. paint over them, I like to use dupli color truck bed liner on the outside, its really durable keeps more sound in, and IMO looks really good. I am uploading pics right now to put in a thread im about to start on my winter build

jolfstn

Oct 30, 2011
Seattle, WA
I just bought a set and was on sale $12+shipping. Installed yesterday & I have to say there is no noticeable difference in sound level at all. I measured with a sound meter before and after & it says it's a few decibels quieter. I guess that's something, but my naked (albeit damaged from years living aboard a ship only meters from the massive diesel engines) hearing. They are substantial and the adhesive works well, but they do not noticeably reduce engine or gear noise as advertised. This is in NO WAY a criticism of JNM or their products or services. I've bought many items from them in the past and was pleased, and in this case, like I've said, substantial, well made, good adhesive. Easy to install. In my experience only, no noise reduction. Could simply be my crappy hearing.
Anybody else buy these, have any feedback? I'm curious to know if others had had different experiences. SBP sells them too. brnot

JoeMetro

May 4, 2014
California
On my first 2 stroke build I made cardboard cut-outs and sprayed multiple layers of plastidip on both sides of each cardboard piece. One for the magneto, sprocket, and clutch cover.

I don't remember noticing much difference, but it was practically free.