Will a 12v generator make your engine explode?

GoldenMotor.com

Schwinn the Fox

Aug 13, 2010
Stafford Springs, CT
Heres something new, I bought a 12v Generator which runs off the magneto (NOT THE WHITE WIRE) on my 49cc chinagirl and I installed it. Worked fine and loved it. Even got a taillight to go with the headlight that came with the gen.

After about 3 days of using it I noticed something, quite not right. Whenever I start up my bike with the lights on, the engine will scream as if Im holding at full throttle. With the lights off the engine will either idol very low or die. I need to keep the idling screw out almost all the way because the engine runs so fast with the lights on, then with the headlight and taillight off I need to put the screw back before the engine dies on me. Ive checked many times and this problem has nothing to do with the carb. I dont understand how the extra gen would make the engine run faster rather slower from the lag of another magnetic force on the magneto.

Just recently on my way home from the store my headlight burned out. My taillight stayed on though because I wired them separate, but I still got the same amount of super force from the motor with the tiny little taillight. I dont understand. None of my lights are LED. Pictures below of my set-up. Oh and my lights are all grounded the right way. And I dont want to know why the light burned out; I want to know why my engine screams at me whenever I start my bike.

The first image is what the gen looks like. It actually fits in there quite well.

The second image is not my bike, but this is pretty much what the set up looks like when set up. Just to give you guys an idea of what Im working with.
Where I got the headlight and Gen

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
The wire from your magneto passes real close to the exhaust. It even looks a little scorched, the wires under it could be melted and shorting out. You also pulled the cover for the three wires from the gromit. Those magneto wires are VERY delicate and a broken one could also be a problem.

Best diagnosis I can give from a photo.

Schwinn the Fox

Aug 13, 2010
Stafford Springs, CT
That picture is not of my bike, its a layout of my set up. That picture I got from the link in the description above. Its very similar, thats why I used it. My wires are all like new. No scorching, no crossing, no melting at all. The wires are A OK! The pic just shows you what kind of gen I have. I can post my own pics here if you like.

mixxmilkk1

Apr 30, 2010
Mpls Minnesota
I see no one invested in the mini charger, or a rechargable battery! I think i read that you should have all three for best results! . Did anybody read the full add? I just ordered the gen, and the mini charger just friday. and i think i'll follow the instructions! Like adding fuses in the links. Did anybody think about that?. I have a 12vlt battery hooked up now! (with a old school stepper generator) powering the battery. But i have to monitor that at all times lol. Please! As a fellow biker! (DO NOT CUT CORNERS!) on anything. You're playing with your sefety out there! Keep it real my fellow Road Worriors!) And do your research on the xct2xct2products you buy. :) Ride Free My Brothers and Sisters!

proctor-nashua

May 10, 2011
NEW HAMPSHIRE
hi iv ben running 12v gen mini charger and batt just make shore your wire are rite becruse the wire on the gen will over heat it shuold ben a thicker wire like 14 ga but it is a nice setup
.duh.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Per your link to the site:

"The enclosed SPDT switch has a red wire for connection to power generator, a green wire for lights and an optional black wire for grounding to bike's frame. By grounding the black wire, the Mini-Gen will be neutralized when switch is in the "off" position, thereby keeping the engine speed more stable when switching lights on and off."

What that tells me is the extra coil is simply grounded at the switch to keep it a circuit, thus a constant load on the motor, so that after adjusting idle it won't race when you remove the load.

Since my first wreck involving a vehicle last month I am working on a cheap way to include an 'always on' front white strobe light on everything I build.

A quick fix for you would be to just wire your front light always on and just use the switch for the back so you can been seen better.

Strobes are by far more noticeable, but even a solid on light would help safety wise anyway. If you have to keep 2nd mag connected to maintain idle anyway you might as well use it, just be prepared to buy more bulbs.

Personally I just run a hub rubber 12V gen, full wave rectifier, and 12V SLA battery.
For an Always On strobe I think the 7.5VAC 'white wire', with a single diode half wave rectifier to little rechargeable 3.2V battery would buffer just about right to run a front diode strobe, but we'll see.

soup325

Dec 11, 2010
Canberra
Would a capacitor (of a decent size) added after either a full or half wave rectifier help smooth out the ripple in the volt and therefore stabilize the current enough to stop a bulb shorting?

With a cap in the circuit, it would eliminate the need to have a battery?

or am I getting my voltage/current mixed up?

Schwinn the Fox

Aug 13, 2010
Stafford Springs, CT
How many amps do you think that 12v gen puts out at high rpms? I need to get some fuses, but I dont want them to strong, ill end up blowing out the bulb. And I dont want them too weak, I dont want to go through 17 fuses in a week :p

Roddyk4

Oct 9, 2016
Cincinnati Ohio
I'm an idiot, can someone tell me.
Please, can I hook red wire from generator.
To one wire from light and other wire from light,
To bike frame for ground?
Or do I need to ground to magneto?

EbenTian

Dec 28, 2016
New York,USA
Hi..i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the wire from your magneto passes real close to the exhaust. It even looks a little scorched, the wires under it could be melted and shorting out. You also pulled the cover for the three wires from the gromit. Those magneto wires are VERY delicate and a broken one could also be a problem.

pcb assembly usa

Last edited: