honda gxh50 rpm's

GoldenMotor.com

Bob Mac 18704

Jan 24, 2010
penna.
I just got my new gxh50 on the road today. I put one of those tachometers on it and was wondering how many rpm's this motor should turn. I only took it up and down the street once. It got about 7250 rpms. Is this the redline on it or should their be more rpm's than that. It sounded like it was wound up but I just couldn't tell. Suposidly thats why I bought the tach. I realize its still new and might pickup a few more rpm's but how much should I expect.

Bob Mac 18704

Jan 24, 2010
penna.
Now that I have this done I would like to comment on some key points. First of all the q-matic centrifigul clutch is one heavy duty clutch. Their is absolutely no comparison between the cent. clutch on my 2 smoke and this q-matic.
I read on this site and others about eliminating the govenor and buying a new carb to replace the honda carb. Why anyone would want to replace either one of these is beyond me. I've read where people have bought a new carb just so they could hook up the linkeage and throttle cable to it. None of this is necessary. For the cost of $5.00 the honda carb with the governor can be hooked up and works just fine. The governor is on their to protect the motor from over reving and blowing up. The governor will let it wind up to 7500 rpm's 8000 is redline. Im sure if I adjusted it a little it will rev 8000. It starts to vibrate pretty good about 6800 and buy the time you reach 7500 it gets uncomfortable to keep it there. When i'm crusing at 6000 rpms and I come to a little hill, with the governor still intact, I don't even have to turn the gas to compensate for the hill. The governor does it for me. It's like driving on cruise control. I'm so glad I chose the honda and the q-matic. After much debate on which drive to choose I think I made the right decision. Looking forward to many carefree miles in the warm weather. Just thought I would give credit where credit is do. Thanks also to the vast amount of knowledge I recieved from this site and a few others. Others mileage may very.dance1

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I have a GXH50 copy, the HS142F, on a SBP shifter mount with 4G, so I've played around a lot with the rpms. My 4G's clutch is engage-happy and hits at 1900-2000 rpms, causing me to roll-and-pull to start. What I've noticed is that ~3750 the power really does pick up. This matches the Honda graph, where the GXH50 makes ~1KW of power and over 1.8 lb/ft of torque. On my setup, I'm turning 6K rpm @ 30, so I'm usually under that.

The Max-Torque clutch in the Q-matic offers a different experience through the rev range than a shifter setup - it's less direct. That has some good points and bad points depending how you look at it, but the Q-matic is definitely a nice setup, IMO. It's very soft on delivering power to the rear wheel. I put over 200 miles on my brother's GXH50 + Q-matic setup last year and was always suprised by it's 20+ prowess.

As for the Honda governor, many people prefer to have total control over their throttle themselves. Personally, I think the governor is dangerous hooked up considering our application. Besides, the engine looks so much cleaner without it!

Bob Mac 18704

Jan 24, 2010
penna.
Personally, I think the governor is dangerous hooked up considering our application. Besides, the engine looks so much cleaner without it!

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi Scotto
Thanks for the link I just ordered one although I think they went up since you ordered. mine was $35. plus shipping so it came to $42...I liked yours better
than Bobs. The way it mounts and the way it looks ..Great find Scotto!!!
Thanks Flex...

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Personally, I think the governor is dangerous hooked up considering our application. Besides, the engine looks so much cleaner without it!

Hi Scotto
Thanks for the link I just ordered one although I think they went up since you ordered. mine was $35. plus shipping so it came to $42...I liked yours better
Thanks Flex...
Never Googled a Tiny Tach? If ya don't know, now ya know.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Sorry flex man, my bad, I should have stated when on sale at Dave's, that's when too buy them at the discount price. Still the Trail Tech is cheaper at $35 than the Tiny Tach at $50 and it looks much cooler too!

dnut

Hi Scotto
Thanks Flex...

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi Aleman
Your right could have googled it .but to find the one scotto found how many page of stuff would I have had to of gone thru .and I still might have missed his ..and his is awsome Thats why I oedered .So Scotto thanks you are the man................in my book..Flex..

Last edited: