Engine sounds louder: Is this normal ?

GoldenMotor.com

ezrider

May 18, 2016
Indiana
Approaching the 200 mile engine break-in period and already noticing...and hearing a louder engine. Muffler gasket is still secure and wondering what other maintenance steps can be taken to have the 2 stroker running...and sounding like it did once before.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Re torque the head bolts, pop the clutch cover and add a tiny dab of grease between the gears. Other than that, nothing else really makes it louder, aside from gaining compression.

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
Check the muffler, some of the muffler's are held together with a nyloc nut. The nylon melts out and the nut vibrates itself loose. The outer sleeve starts to hang slightly changing the sound. 10 years ago or so my first China girl did this.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
He's talking about the nut at the bottom of the muffler. Most are P3 Phillips head screws now, but some may be of a different design. Look at the bottom and see if the guts are starting to loosen up.

ezrider

May 18, 2016
Indiana
Yeah well, now this figures. The muffler flange gasket was utterly MELTED. Curious if this ever happened to anybody. Wonder if there's a temp fix for this.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Yeah, it happens. Usually if your oil content is too high.

Here's the skinny... the gasket you're going to want to order is one of the super thick exhaust gaskets. They seal great, and they cost next to nothing. The bad part is that I'm like 99% sure it's made of pure asbestos. It's fine to use, just don't pulverize the gasket and make it shoot out little fibers and you'll be OK.

And, solve your excessive oil problem for good. Get you some opti2 stroke oil. It costs a little more, but the cost is offset by less maintenance and longer life, as well as less oil required! You can't lose with opti2.

Seabass

Oct 22, 2016
Colorado
They are not asbestos. Is like a graphite material. There would be warnings on exhaust gaskets if the had asbestos, and I sure a label for giving California cancer.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
lol

You'd be very surprised! I work with the stuff quite a lot. These gaskets come straight from china, and the material is fibrous and chalky, not smooth and lead-like.

ezrider

May 18, 2016
Indiana
Yeah, it happens. Usually if your oil content is too high.

Here's the skinny... the gasket you're going to want to order is one of the super thick exhaust gaskets. They seal great, and they cost next to nothing. The bad part is that I'm like 99% sure it's made of pure asbestos. It's fine to use, just don't pulverize the gasket and make it shoot out little fibers and you'll be OK.

And, solve your excessive oil problem for good. Get you some opti2 stroke oil. It costs a little more, but the cost is offset by less maintenance and longer life, as well as less oil required! You can't lose with opti2.
Don't know if its the right size as the muffler flange. Was thinking of a flat sheet stock...and then tracing the flange pattern on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGkicboFqU